Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hairy Bears I need your help, any opinions on gaming laptops? I never got around to changing my desktop graphics card and due to a bunch of things I'm going to need a portable computer, so I may as well take that route. I'm thinking of Lenovo Y510p, but my main concern is that it might become obsolete fast. :/ I don't care for uber graphics, but could a laptop run new-ish games on medium-low saaay 3 years from now?

Hairy Bears
I don't appreciate being called that in public.

Not that familiar with laptops, but I'm guessing the one you want to buy will last you a while, imo. Especially since the new gen of consoles are here to stay for a while, so games' visuals won't change drastically.

Hairy Bears I need your help, any opinions on gaming laptops? I never got around to changing my desktop graphics card and due to a bunch of things I'm going to need a portable computer, so I may as well take that route. I'm thinking of Lenovo Y510p, but my main concern is that it might become obsolete fast. :/ I don't care for uber graphics, but could a laptop run new-ish games on medium-low saaay 3 years from now?

I was leaning toward Asus ROG myself, but I've decided against getting one altogether based on some advice from tech savvy people and the fact I may not be building my own desktop. However, I don't see them as a failed investment, just an expensive one that you have to be more careful with. It seems no one has fully solved the heating issue yet, that's the one thing that keeps coming up when you look into laptops. I can actually play older games and watch movies on my HP Pavilion, and it's going on 6 yrs old and is definitely not a 'gaming' laptop. So if you choose well, I don't see why a proper gaming lappy can't play modern games on medium for the next few years. The sites I've been looking at have been tigerdirect, newegg, ibuypower and amazon. Newegg in particular hosts lots of vids on their site about the tech they sell.

Last edited:
May the 4th be with all of you!

There isn't really a term like Whovians or Trekkies for Star Wars fans so I nominate Force-kins.

What?
Why are you all looking at me like that?

Sir, agents of the Imperial Security Bureau are on their way to your home, please wait for their arrival. :harhar:

View attachment 3059

Attachments

• 180px-Banner_of_the_Galactic_Empire_(SWG).svg.jpg
    180px-Banner_of_the_Galactic_Empire_(SWG).svg.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
@Kinl3y @slimgrin
Thank you both! :) I was actually first attracted to a HP Pavilion because there was a niiiice deal in a local store, but then I read about HP having massive overheating issues. And I'm not too happy about smaller screen resolution, since I'd use it for painting, too, and I won't always have my bigger monitor with me. I feel a bit better about buying a laptop now (never owned one before), perhaps I'll pretend I can afford it and splurge next week.

...video stuff

Damn Bloth... I was freaked out by that strange kiddy faced ghost instead of the real Darth Vader actor in that video...

Shows that I didn't watch a newer released version after some stupid person decided Greedo suddenly got to fire a shot. Now where is my VHS player? Gotta watch the only three Star Wars movies ever made.

btw Han didn't shoot first! He was the only one to shoot!

I like your style.
You should hear me rage over there being only one Highlander movie and only two Terminator movies.
Oh and Star Trek stopped after Voyager, can't accept there ever was a series with that guy from Quantum Leap.

At least with Doctor Who I'm not forced to deny the existence of any of the released content. But the movie was not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom