New The Witcher Worldmap!

+
New The Witcher Worldmap!

Hey there!

I've been sitting on this for a long time, but finally I decided to bring the map up to shape and translate it for you guys. I've been searching all around the Internet for a decent, detailed map of the Witcher continent, but most of them are either polish, drawn just with a pencil or they are just plain wrong. Thats when I planned to create the ultimate map for Witcher fans worldwide - or at least in german, now english and eventually polish. Would be ungrateful to exclude the country that gifted this masterpiece to the world. ^^

I took the map CD Projekt came up with (since Sapkowsi himself liked their map) and enhanced it a little, adding the nilfgaardian provinces to the main map as well. This is still work in progress, so maybe some places aren't in their right spots yet - but thats what I want to change, with your help ;) Maybe I made some mistakes with the translations. If so, be sure to tell me. :)

I'd love to make a flash-map or something with different layers in all three languages (maybe even add French, Italian etc. to the mix), a political map, Geralts path through the continent with all the important dates and battles and stuff, army movements and so on, but I can't do that myself. If anyone would be interested in doing something like that with this map, just drop me a line!

But these are still future plans, for now I just wanted to share this map with you. The date of the map is around 1270, right after the books and right before the games. Since there are no borders or something like that marked in, you can also use it while reading the books. I didn't spoiler anything; even places that were destroyed by the time of the games are still on this map.

I hope you enjoy it!
Since the map seems to be a little too big for the forum, here is the link. (2,4MB)
deviantART: http://ironsteffl.deviantart.com/#/d5igvir
Imageshack: http://imageshack.us/a/img513/8391/witchermapenld.jpg

[UPDATE October 23]
- Fonts changed - I still tried to keep it medieval though. I hope you like the new one better!
- Subsea-Level Topography added
- Some conifair forests added (there will be more in the future if I find a good way to add them without compromising quality)
- Some color corrections for grassier parts of the continent
- Clouds added to mask the unknown parts of the map

Well holy fuckballs with applesauce. That map kicks major ass man, good job! High resolution ftw :p

I have two criticisms:

1. The font on the city names, size and style, can get very unclear. It's hard to read some of the names.

2. Country borders. I see roads, rivers. But no borders.

Other than that, fucking awesome.

Will there be any icons for famous battles, forests, places of importance etc?

And is it possible to add like a search bar or something, so if you're looking for, say, Oxenfurt but you have no idea what country it's in, you can just type in and find it instantly. This is just me being curious, nothing I'm asking for.

Again, great job. Can't wait to see the finished product :)

Gorgeous! I didn't realize Murky Waters was so close to Vizima! I wish you the best of luck completing it. I'm sure our more versatile members will give you the information you need. I've Favorited this. It will be nice to review, not only while playing Witcher 2, but while playing Witcher 1, which I happen to be replaying at this time. Thank you for your time and effort. It's well worthwhile.

Good job on the map ! But there are more than a few members here who cannot view imageshack photos . Might try a different image site .

I'm glad you like the map, thank you very much! :D

FoggyFishburne said:
I have two criticisms:

1. The font on the city names, size and style, can get very unclear. It's hard to read some of the names.

2. Country borders. I see roads, rivers. But no borders.

Will there be any icons for famous battles, forests, places of importance etc?

And is it possible to add like a search bar or something?

You are right, I chose this font since it was in use for The Witcher promo-material and my first map was in a „medival map style“. I've been thinking about changing it anyway, so I absolutely hear what you are saying. ^^

As for the borders... Since there are so many wars and stuff in the Witcher universe, it's kind of difficult to add borders to the map, especially without spoiling anything. The map is not only meant for the games, but for the books as well - and the informations from the games, like the nilfgaardian border being the Jaruga, is a book spoiler.

I'll put the borders and something like a search bar on my To-Do list as soon as I find a way to make this map interactive - something I have no clue of yet. If I added more than just the places of battles (like Brenna or Sodden Hill), the map could become very cluttered, thats why I'd love to add something like a layer-mechanic to the map. But I'd need help for that, I'm just a pseudo-artist, no pseudo-programmer x)

FoggyFishburne said:
Gorgeous! I didn't realize Murky Waters was so close to Vizima! [...] It will be nice to review, not only while playing Witcher 2, but while playing Witcher 1, which I happen to be replaying at this time.

Thats exactly the reason why I created this map and I'm happy that that's actually what it is used for. The scale of the map isn't correct, but at least it gives a sense of the size of Sapkowskis world. Thanks for the motivational boost! ;)

FoggyFishburne said:
Good job on the map ! But there are more than a few members here who cannot view imageshack photos . Might try a different image site .

Thanks for the advice, I added a link to my deviantART gallery! (Hope that's okay ^^)

IronsteffL said:
Thanks for the advice, I added a link to my deviantART gallery! (Hope that's okay ^^)

Fantastic job, thanks! The Deviant Art link works great for me :D I clicked "download" for the larger version and I can read all of the names.

Edit: Wait, I just realized it's the same size as the Imageshack one (by the time I saw the thread, the Deviant Art link was already there so I clicked it first). I don't want to undermine the other person's suggestion for a clearer font. Even though I can read it I certainly wouldn't mind a larger and/or easier-to-read font so if you were going to change it anyway then I'm sure I'll like whatever you change it to :)

Nicely done. Also depending on your playthrough borders of kingdoms change differently so im not sure if you should bother with it. Through books and tw2 borders changed few times.

as FoggyFish said, holy fuckballs with applesauce :eek: incredible work. Font is ok can be sometimes more than normal strain to read but cool nonetheless. I would like to see borders, battle and other famous icons too. I'm all cool with just a static map in image form, making a interactive one can take some more effort and well keeping image file is more easier, so I suggest enhancing the map first, making it interactive fellow members can help you with :) once again fucking awesome

Great work OP. Font a little problematic.Maybe another one for the strategic points and events like battles.

Great! I think it still needs more forest or deeper green areas though. :) And conifer forest in some places such as on mountains or in the North (colder climates in general).

WardDragon said:
Even though I can read it I certainly wouldn't mind a larger and/or easier-to-read font so if you were going to change it anyway then I'm sure I'll like whatever you change it to :)

Thank you very much! :D The font is on top of my priority list. If it was a medieval kind of map I'd keep it, but it most definately isn't. I'll search for something better. ;)

WardDragon said:
I would like to see borders, battle and other famous icons too.

Thanks for all the praise! :D I guess I'll make different static versions for every taste for the time being, one with borders, one with battles, one with the path of Geralt or something like that. If someone is up for the challenge of turning them into an interactive map then, I'd be glad to help!

WardDragon said:
Great work OP. Font a little problematic.Maybe another one for the strategic points and events like battles.

With the battles and wars being such a huge topic in the books and games, I guess the "Battle Map" is settled now. ;)

WardDragon said:
Great! I think it still needs more forest or deeper green areas though. :) And conifer forest in some places such as on mountains or in the North (colder climates in general).

Excellent idea! I thought about that one too, mainly in Kaedwen and Toussaint, but there are a lot more regions that could use some deeper green. The next update will have some of those - and topography for subsea levels, just to mention it. ^^

I added a new version to deviantArt as well as imageshack, the OP has been updated. Would be great if you could tell me if you like the changes. ;)

Awesome map! I just had flashbacks back when I played the Witcher 1 after looking at Vizima and the surrounding areas. I like seeing the major players in the Northern Kingdom :)

IronsteffL said:
I added a new version to deviantArt as well as imageshack, the OP has been updated. Would be great if you could tell me if you like the changes. ;)
Looks fabulous. I feel like jumping right in to the map and start exploring!

waow truly gr8 job !!!!!!!!!!!! indeed

Top Bottom