Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Pigeons look in a mirror, they recognise that the pigeon looking back at them is themselves. This means they have self-awareness, compared with the majority of other animals that do not. Cats, for instance.

Be careful with the ",,, the majority of other animals that do not.". The Mirror Test is accepted as proof of self-awareness, but it's no longer accepted as proof of LACK of self-awareness.

General article:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/kids-and-animals-who-fail-classic-mirror/

There was also a study last year, can't find the link right now, that suggested that cats, like elephants, fail the mirror test because they just don't care. And that any animal whose primary sense is smell rather than vision, such as dogs, fails because they wouldn't identify themselves by their looks, but by their scent.

Would a human in a test recognise and be able to pick out which sweaty cloth was THEIR sweat, and consider that the cloth represented an "image" of themselves?

Last edited:
Crows are geniuses ...
....and artists:

Oh pidgeons know for sure how to be annoying. In 2009 iirc, I went to Padua with my theater class, I slept on a bunk bed, on the upper part, so that I was able to see through a window. Next morning I was awoken by weird sounds, so I opened my eyes...

...and found two pidegeons flirting like crazy on the railing. Little cuties had decided to flirt at that hour and in front of me.

I was walking in the square in the city, lots of pigeons around picking up food from the ground and they were very used to people so I was literally inches away and they didn't fly away.. except one did, took to the air, and gave me a hard slap across the face with it's wings in the process.. so rude.. lol

....and artists:

Are those Crows, or Rooks? Rooks are famous for mass formation flight. Mated pairs stay together when flying in formation, a considerable feat of skill.

Crows and Rooks are also capable of cooperative problem solving, in tests where both birds of a pair must act to secure a reward. Rooks, which are very sociable, excel at cooperation and sharing.

So I'm looking at the Oscar recaps, looks like some pretty interesting things happened. Not in the awards department, because that was predictable.

edit: My apologies, seems that youtube took the videos down. :(

And congrats to Poland on their first Oscar! :D

Last edited:
Well, that's my generator connected up. Which means I have probably single-handedly ensured that Cebu will never again have a power outage.

@wichat Are they as bad as GEMA here in Germany?

Do not know, but are assumed to be an independent organization, they act as the government of the day, based on Decree Law. it dependent on the outside interests to citizen suits them at the time. Isn't it how it works?
The authors are still paid for the same as their representatives and official organisms takes most of the benefits from this supposed protection.

Author's Right law in Spain has locked these videos.... Cannot see them

They are blocked for me now, too, I suppose they want to redirect people to official Academy accounts whenever they upload the videos. I'm very sorry.

The first was the live performance of "Glory" from Selma, the second is Lady Gaga doing a fantastic medley from The Sound of Music (for the 50th anniversary of the movie).

How do you react when a very unusual event that you're know you'll never see for sure happens over you... 6 times! And you are reporting alive!!!

I was walking in the square in the city, lots of pigeons around picking up food from the ground and they were very used to people so I was literally inches away and they didn't fly away.. except one did, took to the air, and gave me a hard slap across the face with it's wings in the process.. so rude.. lol
Thug life!

Now I remember, when I was at middle school I was running and accidentally trampled on a pigeon, on its tail precisely. Everyone from that group flew away when they saw me coming but not that thug, and in fact found himself with its tail under my shoe. Sorry, I guess now it was the same pigeon in Padua, it followed me, and got its revenge after a couple of years. Best served cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom