Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in one of the most touristic point in Spain. People, beach, crowd, shopping, expensive, night parties, hangover hooligans.... I want to go to the mountain and live in a farm!

You see I'm the opposite, I live in a remote area where I have access to nothing (we don't even have a cinema in this town, if I want to watch a movie I have to drive about 50km).

But I see this often, people from remote areas crave city life while people from cities crave remoteness.

I live in a small city in Hungary, I could easily say it's the least touristic destination in this country. I met some americans a few weeks ago, thought they were tourists until they tryed to sell me some religious books and said they were missionaries. The only thing some tourists come to this city for, is our "sausage festival" (don't take any bad meaning lol) to try some of it and drink lots of alcohol.

---------- Updated at 02:49 PM ----------

But I see this often, people from remote areas crave city life while people from cities crave remoteness.

Yeah I think so too, our house on the edge of the city, bus schedule is a pain (comes every 2 hour on weekends and the last one is at 6:40pm) so going out with some friends is problematic. I'd like to be closer to the center of the city.

You see I'm the opposite, I live in a remote area where I have access to nothing (we don't even have a cinema in this town, if I want to watch a movie I have to drive about 50km).

You've just described me. I've lived in or very close to cities ever since leaving home, and there is NO way I'd go back to living in the country.

And I'm also in a tourist area, but they come for the beaches and the diving, and don't really visit the city itself, as there's damn-all for them here, so I don't see them.

our "sausage festival" (don't take any bad meaning lol) to try some of it and drink lots of alcohol.

Never!

Missionaries... sausages festival...

It's time to bring some happy thoughts to this thread. Happy thoughts people.

I love living in Gdynia. Sea is nearby, girls are pretty, public transport works great and we have tons of cultural events. Open'er Festival, Gdynia Film Festival and you could go on. Whenever I tire of the "city life" I can visit my grandfather's cottage in Kashubia heartlands. Surrounded by forest, quiet and next to a lake and it's only a 100 kilometers away or so from where I live. I love spending time there during the holidays - no electricity there, just you and the nature.

@Luxorek you also have the Witcher saga a part of your culture and live in a significantly improved proximity to CDPR, can't compare anything to that.

and you're right -- on a lighter note, while we're sharing our cultures and countries with our ups and downs, i'd like to recommend this video about my country in the spirit of australians laughing at themselves and so we can all laugh at ourselves too
[video=youtube;DHQRZXM-4xI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI[/video]

(video is 100% accurate, btw)

(and the actors are about 50% indian australian)

@mecha_fish.619 Yeah, it's pretty good, though in all seriousness Poland has it's share of problems too. We've had millions of young, smart and educated people leave the country for UK, Ireland or Germany for better job opportunities. I can't blame them for that, it can be tough
My situation is unique - I'm studying to become a merchant navy officer. Basically, working [and earning] abroad, while living here in Poland. That puts me in an incredibly privileged position.

OMG!!!

I know this might be posted in the joke thread. But Damm! As while I was reading I've had the same thoughts that the mom at the same moment!!

LOL LOL LOL OMG... What a picture!!! LOL!

It was after pizza night Tuesday when my son Greg came up to tell me there was “something very wrong” with one of the two lizards he holds prisoner in his room.

“He’s just lying on a rock looking sick,” he told me. “DAD! I’m very serious. Can you help?”

So I put my best lizard-healer expression on my face and followed Greg to his room. One of the little lizards was indeed lying on his back, looking stressed. I immediately knew what to do.

“Honey,” I called, “come look at Greg’s lizard!”

“Oh, my goodness!” my wife said. “She’s having babies!!!”

“What? Wait…” my son demanded. “But their names are Batman and Robin, Mom!”

I was equally outraged. “Hey, how can that be? I thought we said we didn’t want them to reproduce,” I said to my wife.

“Well Sweetie, what do you suppose me to do, post a sign in their cage?” she inquired (I think she actually said this sarcastically!).

“No, but you were supposed to get two boys Honey!” I reminded her, (in my most loving, sweet voice, while gritting my teeth).

“Yeah, Batman and Robin!” my son agreed.

“Well, it’s just a little hard to tell on some guys, you know,” she informed me again with the sarcasm!
By now the whole family had gathered in Greg’s room to see what was going on. I shrugged, deciding to make the best of it.

“Kids, this is going to be a wondrous experience,” I announced. “We’re about to witness the miracle of birth.”
“Ewwwww, gross!” they shrieked.

“Well, isn’t this just great? What are we going to do with a litter of tiny little lizard babies?” my wife wanted to know.

We peered at the patient. After much struggling, what looked like a tiny foot would appear briefly, vanishing a scant second later.

“We don’t appear to be making much progress,” I noted.

“It’s breech,” my wife whispered, horrified.

“DAD! Do something!” my son shouted.

“Okay, okay.” Squeamishly, I reached in and grabbed the foot when it next appeared, giving it a gentle tug. It disappeared. I tried several more times with the same results.

“Dad should I call 911?” my eldest daughter Whitney wanted to know “Maybe they could talk us through the trauma” (You see a pattern here with the females in my house?)

“Let’s get Robin to the vet,” I said grimly.

We drove to the vet with my son holding the cage in his lap.

“Breathe, Robin, please breathe,” he urged.

“I don’t think lizards do Lamaze,” his mother noted to him. (Women can be so cruel to their own young. I mean what she does to me is one thing, but this boy is of her womb, for Gosh sake.)

The vet took Robin back to the examining room and peered at the little animal through a magnifying glass.
“What do you think, Doc, a C-section needed?” I suggested scientifically.

“Oh, very interesting, ” he murmured. “Mr. And Mrs. Connor, may I please speak to you privately for a moment?”
I gulped, nodding for my son to step outside.

“Is Robin going to be okay doc?” my wife asked.

“Oh, perfectly,” the vet assured us. “This lizard is not in labor. In fact, that isn’t EVER going to happen . . . Robin is a boy. You see, Robin is a young male. And occasionally, as they come into maturity, like most male species, they um . . . Um . Masturbate. Just the way he did, lying on his back.” He blushed, glancing at my wife.
We were silent, absorbing this. “So, Robin is just . . . Just ….ummm… Excited,” my wife offered.
“Exactly,” the vet replied, very relieved that we understood.

More silence. Then my cruel wife started to giggle. And she giggled some more. And then even laugh out loudly.
“What’s so funny?” I demanded, knowing, but not believing that the woman I married would commit the upcoming affront to my flawless manliness.

Tears were now running down her face. “It’s just . . . That . . I’m picturing you pulling on its . its . . teeny little . .” She gasped for more air between laughs once more.

“That’s enough,” I warned her. We thanked the vet and hurriedly bundled the lizard and our son back into the car. He was glad everything was going to be okay.

“I know Robin’s really thankful for what you did, Dad,” my son told me.

“Oh, you have NO idea,” my wife agreed, collapsing with laughter.

Two lizards: $100.

One cage: $60

Trip to the vet: $40.

Memory of your husband pulling on a lizard’s winkie: Priceless.

Moral of the story: Pay attention in biology class. Lizards lay eggs.

It can be non political, if we direct it that way. Sure the notion is really noble, but when it really comes down to it, you can not sacrifice your own time and happiness to fight a seemingly lost cause. Some people do, and I admire them for it. But it's not me. It would've been me years ago, when I was a lot less cynical about the people in my country but I have changed a lot since then.

And while being on-topic. If I get the smallest chance of leaving this shithole I will take it.

@mecha_fish.619 Yeah, it's pretty good, though in all seriousness Poland has it's share of problems too. We've had millions of young, smart and educated people leave the country for UK, Ireland or Germany for better job opportunities. I can't blame them for that, it can be tough

It just makes me sad, whenever I hear it. I meet a lot of international students here and many of them left their countries cause they see no future there. I have also seen threads on the internet with literally hundreds of pages from people all over the world posting, that they want to leave their homes and go for a better place and their parents and grandparents telling them, that their country has no future. We can't all live at the same place, can we? What is going to become of those countries when the young and educated leave and nobody is going to fix things. I mean we are lucky, cause we have too few children, but mass migration away from many countries with a long history makes me sad.

Btw, finally claimed my Witcher games on gog.com, since I know finally have an account. :)

Last edited:
@mecha_fish.619

You should post pictures of where you live. It sounds so wild.

It just makes me sad, whenever I hear it. I meet a lot of international students here and many of them left their countries cause they see no future there. I have also seen threads on the internet with literally hundreds of pages from people all over the world posting, that they want to leave their homes and go for a better place and their parents and grandparents telling them, that their country has no future. We can't all live at the same place, can we? What is going to become of those countries when the young and educated leave and nobody is going to fix things. I mean we are lucky, cause we have too few children, but mass migration away from many countries with a long history makes me sad.

I don't think I exactly enter that category, but I will be crossing the pond for academic reasons. Also ich muss Deutsch üben (lernen) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom