Community manager for CDPR compares gamergate to the KKK

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me what Gamergate actually is?

What I know:
It was a movement so that journalists would not be influenced by companies whose products they are reviewing, and that all journalists have fair shot at reviewing a product.
Then the GamerGate movement got hijacked by feminists and it became a 'evil' thing? (Something about a female gamedev sleeping with a journalist and her game then got a good review (they were in a relationship, so no sex for good review thing going on))

So now I really don't know that it means, just that some people (usually too politically correct people) have painted it evil.

And I used Google, still doesn't make any sense.

Some girl slept with a few devs, allegedly got positive coverage for her game as a result. Gamers cried foul, then lots of media sites labeled gamers as sexist neck beards, the whole thing blew up on Twitter and eight months later it's still raging.

Saying anything about this 'gamergate' is a very touchy subject. It's best to stay neutral because no matter what you say about it, you will get harrassed, attacked or humiliated. Wether you are for or against it. The original idea is good, but those who put themselves behind this hashtag or the opposite hashtag, are often radical. I want to stay far far away from it all.

EvilChris, I am betting, believes it when anti gamergate people apply any death threat to that group. Now I consider myself neutral, gamergate is late to the party when it comes to ousting bad video game journalism and I believe it's inception is extremely questionable. Now your Sarkeesians and what not have found a boogieman and are more than happy to attribute any bad email or whatever to men from gamergate and cannot even consider that there are a plethora of women and glbt people who do not buy into the "Sarkeesian effect"

I think this is a good video of just how messed up it's become.

@Mekari Isn't that woman that claimed to love video games and then in a presentation said she knows nothing about them?

Edit: Also with a quick search i found she kickstarted 12 videos for her fans and got 160k from a goal of 6k and hasn't provided the videos for the money she got. That's good business :D

@Mekari Isn't that woman that claimed to love video games and then in a presentation said she knows nothing about them?

Edit: Also with a quick search i found she kickstarted 12 videos for her fans and got 160k from a goal of 6k and hasn't provided the videos for the money she got. That's good business :D

Yes, she has been accused of stealing money from her fans on multiple occasions.

I'm not a fan of Sarkeesian. But this Gamergate thing went too far. Fight for better journalism is one thing. Threat others is a completely different thing...

Fight for better journalism is one thing. Threat others is a completely different thing...

You have the right to have that opinion, I could explain very carefully why you would be wrong but ultimately that's not the point.

The point is comparing a group on twitter to the FUCKING KKK, is beyond infuriating.

Not trying to Ad Hominem but when Chris became the CM of CDPR I was skeptical that someone with his past on BSN ( the things he said, the things he defended Bioware for etc. ) and it seems he hasn't changed one bloody fucking bit. The downgrade post was perhaps a shinning example of this, but this KKK post takes it to a whole new level.

Last edited:
@guilhermecn

Well, what's better to discredit a movement and promote herself than pretending the opposite side is threatening on her life? Nobody can stand for someone who threatens someone else for an opinion, and suddenly everybody who are on the opposite side are scum of the Earth.

Was she hurt in any way? Did someone even tried to hurt her? Who is profiting of those alleged threats? This woman is a dramaqueen.

Last edited:
I keep my neutrality in things like this, as there are usually more to either side than what we are reading/hearing; but as @CostinRaz said, comparing a hashtag group to KKK is misguided, to say the least. That's kinda the tipping point in the discussion. I don't think that many people would have been reacting in this way if that comparison hadn't been made.

As for the KKK comment, if Chris was not the community manager, I would say that it was posted to illicit a negative reaction.

Can someone explain to me what Gamergate actually is?

I doubt there is a clear consensus on what it is. Lot's of people post about gaming journalism corruption with Gamergate tag on various social networks. On the other hand there are real jerks who claim to be "Gamergate" who threaten and harass people.

And how anyone would do that? It's hashtag consumer revolt, you can't prevent anybody from using a hashtag.

Example: " I'm a gamergater and call bs on those cunts."
Have multiple such tweets and voila, they'll think twice before identifying with the hashtag.

;] Yeah I bet trolls would be really offended and drived away by this kind of comments.

@adridu59 well, he is speaking for CDP in North America so for many it would be like it's CDP point of view. Bullshit but people believe what they want to believe.

Last edited:
@adridu59 I agree with you on pretty much everything. He made a really poor comparison and i'm sure he is already getting an earfull for it but as per usual, people are overreacting and making big statements like i won't be buying the game etc, like that has anything to do with the witcher or CDPR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom