Why are you migrating away from GOG accounts?

+
Hello CDPR,

You've recently announced that CDPR games and services will be migrating away from using GOG accounts.
Why are you doing this? Please provide at least a single compelling reason or a benefit for consumers. This action seems inconvenient and pointless. Imagine if Valve suddenly decided to make a new Valve account for DOTA 2, separate from Steam for no reason...

Are you moving away from GOG's infrastructure too? Is it some kind of a compartmentalisation attempt in order to reduce downtime if GOG is down? Or is it just another excuse for your refusal to generate offline GOG installers for each "My Reward" and the CP2077 Phantom Liberty Pre-Order bonus?

Please elaborate. Thank you.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but it seem quite obvious and a normal change knowning the recent events...
Even if GOG is owned by CDPR, I guess they remain two different "entities". For example, yesterday when GOG services was down, CDPR forums were also down and I guess cross-progression and rewards features on all CDPR games were down too. Something which no longer happen :)

Just my opinion, but it seem quite obvious and a normal change knowning the recent events...
Even if GOG is owned by CDPR, I guess they remain two different "entities". For example, yesterday when GOG services was down, CDPR forums were also down and I guess cross-progression and rewards features on all CDPR games were down too. Something which no longer happen :)
Sure, but they announced this before yesterday's shut down. It was also more of a hardware problem than software AFAIK, hence my question on whether or not CDPR is also planning to move into a different data centre or CDN. if they're not, then this won't solve much.

I just think the FAQ should include a "Why are we doing this".

Sure, but they announced this before yesterday's shut down. It was also more of a hardware problem than software AFAIK, hence my question on whether or not CDPR is also planning to move into a different data centre or CDN. if they're not, then this won't solve much.

I just think the FAQ should include a "Why are we doing this".
Nope, sure ;)
But it was just an example of what kind of problems could generate CDPR using GOG datas. Even if GOG is owned by CDPR, there is no reason for CDPR to suffer the effects of GOG problems, and vice versa.

Mostly a wild guess, but I suspect it's a branding initiative.

Rather than the GOG company who also makes games as CDPR, CDPR is now the flagship name, who also happens to own a storefront called GOG. Their focus continues to step away from their storefront identity, especially with the move to Unreal and close relationship with Epic. So, it the change makes sense to me.

I would also like to know the reasons for this separation, and there are also concerns from the security point of view.
Separating and creating two accounts with presumably the same password doesn't seem like a very smart or secure move.

I would also like to know the reasons for this separation, and there are also concerns from the security point of view.
Separating and creating two accounts with presumably the same password doesn't seem like a very smart or secure move.
Indeed, the very first thing I'll do with that account is change the password.

Do you intend to answer the question CDPR peeps ?

Is is a legitimate one, I also share this concerns, why are you migrating these onlines services ?
We have details on the "what, the "how" but no clue on the "why".

I'm not sure what's going on, but since I received this email, my Cyberpunk 2077 game is no longer properly reading my saves from C:\Users\User\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red, and instead is reading saves that date back to 2021 that I don't even know where they are located.

All my graphic settings or settings in general have been tempered with as well. What the hell is going on?

So what are the pros and cons of opting out?
To be honest, I see more cons than pros :)

I could be wrong, but as far as I understood, the only "pro" I can see it's only if you're worried about the fact that CDPR will use the same details as your GOG account to create a CDPR account. Details they already have access to and details you will be able to change directly the day they create your new CDPR account.

Again, I could be wrong, but the "cons" if you opted out :
- Your account on this forum will be deleted (I assume all your posts will be turned into "guest" account).
- You won't be able to use cross-progression nor receive rewards on any CDPR games anymore.
- If you want to use CDPR game features again and post on the forum again too, you will have to create a brand new CDPR account... But this account will be new so welcome back to the "rookie" user club.

Top Bottom