Community manager for CDPR compares gamergate to the KKK

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
George R. R. Martin... interesting you guys should bring him up. He had quite a few things to write in connection to gamergate's favorite FUB methods and cardboard enemy concept — "the SJW", a fictional group that serves as a bridging narrative between attacking feminist game critics and the ideal of achieving 'ethics in journalism' — when a group not without similarity to the HBB and its kind of activism tried to crash the Hugo Awards this year.
http://grrm.livejournal.com/

Not from me, no. I just would have wished he spoke out against gamergate without resorting to hyperbole.

Bona fide hate groups and 'not really gamergate' ideologues like Davis Aurini or Roosh V. have long since taken a strong foothold in the movement's ideological direction. I don't blame anyone for finding the present ideology to be so muddied and so full of internal contradictions, and for finding the members so averse to pointing out currents in the movement that they find unfitting, that they necessarily estimate the loudest and most abject voices to be representative. And if you stumble over exactly those loud voices at the convention of your choice... trying to crash your panels... then, yeah. Then you actually wouldn't be THAT surprised to have a racist hate group in the adjacent booth.

The HBB did a backer funded shit thing and has definitely smeared the GG name some more. The outrage should be going in THAT direction.

Chris — you're all right.
Sorry I have to take issue with what you're posting here as it is false. The Hugo's have nothing to do with GamerGate. I didn't hear about them until after the nominations came out.

The SJW thing isn't made up. People on twitter call themselves Social Justice (name) or SJW (name). They pass out buttons with SJW on them and recently at GDC there was someone passing out purple ribbons with SJW on them. They posted a pic on twitter of the ribbons. This isn't something people apart of GG made up. It's a group of people pushing an extreme ideology onto others imo. People have been talking about SJWs before GG was a thing. I only started looking into them after this whole GG thing happened and it is pretty scary the things some of these people talk about. A lot of these people sound like people out of an Orwellian novel. Propaganda, manipulation, and bigotry are no problem for these types of people. Some of them sound cult like followers as well. I've never seen anything like this.

I don't know much about the Honey Badgers, but from what I can tell they've been libeled on this case. Disagreeing and debating feminists during a panel should not be considered disruptive.From what I can tell they were having a conversation or debate, not interrupting the whole panel. People should never be afraid to voice their opinions. That Mary Sue article also cited some post they made about "infiltrating Calgary Expo by having been nerds for decades." It was obviously a tongue in cheek comment. But Mary Sue and Calgary Expo focused only on the infiltrating part and used it to justify banning them and proving they were only there to disrupt the con. That is some serious mental gymnastics.

It's worrying to me that feminists can call women who disagree with them disruptive and use that accusation to get them banned or kicked out of cons or any other setting. I only see it getting worse in the future.

Last edited:
I still don't understand how anyone can consider GamerGate pure evil or pure good. It is a god damn hashtag that has been used for both good and bad purposes by all kinds of people, anonymous or not.

That may be true, though I struggle to find the 'good purposes' particularly around the start of the movement. And then there is, of course, the original source of the hashtag – Adam Baldwin's clear cut slutshaming tweet. I think that the movement has existed before, but gained in strength by taking up this hashtag. Which is kind of damning right from the start. I would have welcomed a thorough rebranding, and there definitely were attempts at the outset of this fiasco, but they sadly never took off. Had gamergate taken up e.g. the #gameethics hashtag, I'm convinced we'd be having a very different discussion today.

The SJW thing isn't made up. People on twitter call themselves Social Justice (name) or SJW (name).

Of course they do, as a counter reaction to an aggressive culture that started to call people that. There's really no doubt about the etymology of that label and the shame that comes with it. It was created derogatorily to lump certain people together and give them a bad name. People 'on twitter' calling themselves Social Justice Warriors is the equivalent of black people calling themselves nig***. They find themselves attacked under a certain name, which they then take up. But that isn't particularly wide spread as far as I know. These days, I'm going with Social Justice Bard.

I really don't want to get into the SJW discussion at length here. If gamergate is about 'fighting SJWs', it indeed is a movement with a mainstream, fictional, ready-made, unreflected, cardboard enemy concept for undiscerning people without any insight into what they attack – video game journalism, video game criticism, video game narrative, diversity in games. "SJW" is, today, a shortcut in the discussion to ignore issues and instead to attack game designers for their game design with a set of ideologemes that isn't really understandable to the game designers (especially visible in the link provided - Tørnquist was attacked this week for daring to release concept art with the Dreamfall Chapters main character having her hair cut short).

The discussion shortcut that is "SJW" needs to stop. The label is absolutely derogatory, doesn't make any sense and needs to be reevaluated. People who are using the term as an expression with meaning are making themselves look bad in the discussion.

I don't know much about the Honey Badgers,

That is a problem that really should be corrected, particularly as they are obviously allowed to drive gamergate ideology and in fact 'stand in' for the movement. I am seeing a widespread reflex in gamergate discussions to defend the Honey Badgers as if they were gamergate. Ultimately, that displays the gamergate cause in a very negative light. Feminists – and a whole lot of other groups – are calling the HBB disruptive, and they "can do that", because the only reason the HBB was there was to BE DISRUPTIVE. That's essentially what they announced in their crowd funding campaign. Some people who were on those panels are describing the HBB women as perfectly civil, but indeed rather off topic and unable to understand or accept factual agreement with some of their positions. There's no doubt that this was a planned provocation with the intent to get thrown out eventually, screaming censorship. This whole thing was literally announced as activism. I'm really sorry about that, it shouldn't have happened. It's an invalid, unnecessarily politicized way to lead the discussion. It's also the communicative strategy of religious cultists. The distance gamergate culture brings between itself and the HBB is nothing I have a personal stake in – I only absolutely reserve the right to judge gamergate for the HBB if no distancing is taking place (not trying to kiss ass here, but Chris has the same right).

Last edited:
Chris posted his official apology and after that the thread seems to stray further into off-topic area, therefore it is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom