The moment of truth: to CE or not to CE

+

• None. I had fun once, and it was horrible.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alright, I've been giving this a lot of thought and I need to hear your opinions.

I've had an order for a PC C.E. of TW3 for almost a year on Amazon.com. It's a whopping $150 dollars. I want the artbook and a few other things, but honestly I wished it wouldn't include a dust collector-- err, I mean, statue.

I am sort of cringing at the thought of shipping times (and rates), installation discs, so on and so forth. I've been seeing that nicely priced digital TW3 on GOG.com for a while now. There's preloading and eternal support and whatnot.

I don't want to buy two versions, not at the moment at least.

So what do you think? Should I get the digital instead? I suppose it's better to wait a couple of days to play TW3 than regret not having a medallion and artbook for the rest of my life.

Are you also getting the CE? Or digital? Or both?

Edit: I don't track gaming news. Apparently there is a game code :) and so I'll keep the CE. What about you all?

Last edited:
I thought that those who buy retail versions are now also getting GOG version for free (same as with TW1 and TW2). CDPR clarified their previous undecided stance on this. So your main question should probably be, do you want to support CDPR more with pure digital release, or you want those goodies (CDPR should be OK with either choice, since they offer it).

I thought that those who buy retail versions are now also getting GOG version for free (same as with TW1 and TW2). CDPR clarified their previous undecided stance on this. So your main question should probably be, do you want to support CDPR more with pure digital release, or you want those goodies (CDPR should be OK with either choice, since they offer it).

Can you link to it please?

Edit: Also, poll! Because why not.

Can you link to it please?

One sec.

---------- Updated at 04:30 PM ----------

See here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35369-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Retail-PC-Version-FAQ

Q: Will there be any sort of serial number provided in the retail PC box?
A: The game does not require any serial code to install or play. However, each retail PC copy of Wild Hunt will contain an additional GOG.com game code for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. See below for details.

Q: What is the GOG.com game code found in the box used for?
The game code grants you access to a digital backup copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on GOG.com. You will also receive full software support, i.e. future updates, as well as all the additional content like the 16 Free DLCs, the FLAC & MP3 soundtrack, comics, wallpapers, art book, all voice over packs and more.

It's fairly simple for me, it's about whether I like the extra CE content or not. TW2 CE was great, I loved every single item in it. I'm not a fan of the TW3 statue or the medallion redesign, therefore I'm not going to get the CE. The rest really isn't worth the price to me.

It's fairly simple for me, it's about whether I like the extra CE content or not. TW2 CE was great, I loved every single item in it. I'm not a fan of the TW3 statue or the medallion redesign, therefore I'm not going to get the CE. The rest really isn't worth the price to me.

My favorite thing from TW2 CE was the artbook. Everything else was just "fun". I don't know how much an artbook should cost but considering I rarely buy retail games anymore, I think I'll fall for this one. And for some of us this side of the Atlantic it might be the last chance to get a medallion.

Wonder if I'll stay home "sick" again when TW3 arrives :p

I would only really want the artbook from the CE. The rest is shit I don't need.

So GOG for me.

I'd tell you go for GOG v. I never bought any CE in my live. And a year ago I' had tell the same: GOG.

But since this morning when Marcing anouncing the One Milion pre-orders... and whereas the CE is a very limited edition ...

Well, dammit. I'm really bad giving advises.

Last edited:
Sounds like you might be better off buying the medallion and a artbook separately if you don't care that much about the statue, but it's really your call. I'm definitely holding on to mine. :)

I'd tell you go for GOG v. I never bought any CE in my live. And a year ago I' had tell the same: GOG.

But since this morning when Marcing anouncing the One Milion pre-orders... and whereas the CE is a very limited edition ...

Well, dammit. I'm really bad giving advises.

I'm actually happy with my TW2 CE, but there really is no practical use for most of its contents. Like you said though, CE's are rare (they're even hard to find and actually order) so maybe I should hold on to it.

I feel guilty spending so much money on a game. But it's THE game.

I think the only thing I'd've wanted from the Collector's Edition is the medallion.

I would like a retail version, so $60 + $30 for a medallion + whatever the artbook sells for ($40?) is already almost the cost of the CE. So what the heck.

Last edited:
I think the only thing I'd've wanted from the Collector's Edition is the medallion.

You can buy the medallion in the official Witcher fanshop (link should be somewhere here on cdprojectred.com). It's a store located in the US, so consider shipping and everything else, but the medallion is not that expensive with 26 $.

I am happy that I bough the CE, even if it cost me 190 €, in the end it is a priceless memory for me.
The medallion as swag and the figurine to put on my desk.

Last time I had a figurine with a game was when I had the White Edition of Assassins Creed II. And damn hell, that game was worth it. Was the high time of AC games and I still love and respect the game to that day. Good memories....

Also the artbook, the soundtrack, the steelbook (I love steelbook cases. Once had a steelbook of TW1, unfortunately it was when I was younger and as stupid as I was back then I did sell it because that was the time I didn't like The Witcher and needed the money for new games -.- Anyway......). Steelbooks for my favorite series, that is always awesome. Have not many though. One other Steelbook I have is Splinter Cell Blacklist. Not my favorite SC but still.

I normally don't buy CEs or even pre-order any games, but for CDPR and The Witcher I make an exception. I might also make an exception for MGSV (my god, this year is the year of exceptions for me) and I might make and exception a few years down the line when Cyberpunk is released (based on how much I like TW3 and how much I like the material and footage shown before release of the game (PS: CDPR INVITE ME TO A PLAY SESSION ;) )).

Yeah, I normally detest pre-orders, but I love you guys.

Top Bottom