Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned english almost strictly by playing games since i was a kid. I had immense curiosity about what each word meant, i searched and asked a lot. School didn't help me much.
Gaming is what made me much, much better on english classes & tests. Right now i find english much easier to understand and learn than my native laguage.

Very interesting. I've also found that playing games in different languages -- French and German, in my case -- has helped me improve in them. By the way, what is your native language, if you don't mind me asking?

A lot of people also claim watching tv series and movies in english help improving your language skills tremendously. Never tried/did it myself.

I too learned English from playing videogames, i also started about the age of 10 or something to watch english movies with english subs mainly because the amount of shite translation that is out there is baffling -.-

We also learned British English in school, and both me and my mother watches a ton of British telly, so i dont really use a lot of american expressions.

Only problem is i have never actually spoken a lot of English so my accent is very noticable :lol:

Compared to most Slavic languages (graduates of the DLI Intensive Polish course call themselves "survivors") English grammar is not too awful if you avoid being a stickler for it. It helps to remember that English is the bastard child of an Anglo-Saxon mother and a Norman French father.

Quite so. All things considered, we have it pretty easy in English. The real difficulty is the confusingly varied vocabulary -- with several words that resemble each other --, and the rather flexible adjectives.

Last edited:
Quite so. All things considered, we have it pretty easy in English. The real difficulty is the confusingly varied vocabulary -- with several words that resemble each other --, and the rather flexible adjectives.

Yeah, those come from the hybrid origin of the language, or more earthily, from attempts of the Norman soldiers to get laid by the local women. French was the high-class tongue for years, but you had to mix it up with Saxon to get along with the locals. Middle English was the result.

Last edited:
I'm lucky that English is my primary! :D

My French is rustier than an tin roof and my German is practically non-existent! I can't speak a word of Gaelic, so don't ask me. :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, those come from the hybrid origin of the language, or more earthily, from attempts of the Norman soldiers to get laid by the local women. French was the high-class tongue for years, but you had to mix it up with Saxon to get along with the locals. Middle English was the result.
Guess it is true you learn something every day great stuff to know . It is really surprising though how much the English language is getting dumbed down in the States . I am talking street level the understanding is slowly disappearing so if it keeps going writing how we speak will be more common place than it was and sadly acceptable . Most schools in my area have stopped learning Cursive Writing some ways a plus but pointing the way to an electronic signature age more and more . Thank you for opening my eyes to another part of the world of the English language .

Never underestimate the potential of horny Norman soldiers!
The transformation of English, from Anglo-Saxon, through Anglo-Norman, Middle English, and Early Modern English, to our present speech is a fascinating journey. Etymology, as I've mentioned before, is one of my hobbies, and thus I've spent many pleasant hours tracing the development of modern, and antiquated, English words (and comparing them with German etymology).

For those interested -- and with about an hour to spare -- the following episode from The Story of English, while now quite dated, still offers a useful general overview of the language's historical stages:

(My apologies, but I couldn't find a copy with proper subtitles -- and the YouTube captioning-system makes utter nonsense of it -- so it's better just to listen.)

Last edited:
Out of all English versions and forms, I like the international internet version the best. Most people find non logical things non logical. Most people don't care for grammar. And most people will change words to what they should be by logic and hearing, not by grammar. And then, there;s the evolution and creation of new words and phrases. Pretty cool stuff.

I learned english almost strictly by playing games since i was a kid. I had immense curiosity about what each word meant, i searched and asked a lot. School didn't help me much.
Gaming is what made me much, much better on english classes & tests. Right now i find english much easier to understand and learn than my native laguage.

Omg, I am the exact same thing. The thing that really motivated me back in the day was that I wanted to understand the dialogues in games like Metal Gear Solid 1, Syphon Filter etc. And for me how it was, I learned the basics in elementary school, after that I pretty much learned by myself, of course it was there in high school too, but I used it on a daily basis with the games, and later movies. That's how I managed to learn the american accent, but yes gaming was and is the best source for me to learn english. And now I'm at the point when sometimes I know a word in english, and am trying to translate at work, I have no clue what it is in hungarian.

Last edited:
My english teacher once said, that most "learned speakers" are better in terms of grammer than native ones.

Aye, seems to be common sense among German English teachers ... Probably because there are so many students fussing about 'complicated English grammar no one will ever learn'.

(Which is really strange, if you ask me. English is the easiest language I've ever encountered. I've spent a year in Poland, reaching a decent B1 with 93% (CEFR), and grammar was the worst part of it (33 out of 40, though). I'm understanding pretty much on C1 level by now, especially while reading, but speaking is somewhat different - I'm still struggling with those insane seven cases with thousands of endings, and especially with my little friends called numerals.)

Well, unlike most people here in my country, i hate soccer and laughed a lot about the 7-1. It's a common thing here to joke about that, :D

That's a healthy way of coping, I think ;D
As a huge football fan (yeah, it's football, don't listen to those yankees ^^) I still get warm and fuzzy feelings when I think about the semi final and of course the final. :)

I doubt anyone will read this but fuck it, I'll post it anyway.

With all the nonsense that's been going on in the forums lately and me losing interest in the Witcher universe, I've decided to stop posting here. I might still be online for PM's, but I'm no longer interested in what goes on in this forum. All these stupid romance wars and the lack of any decent conversation (in my opinion) has just left me drained of any enthusiasm I once had for this community. Don't get me wrong though, there's still a lot of you who I still love to chat to and joke with, but there's so few of you left here now and I just don't know what's going on anymore.

On the topic of The Witcher itself: I haven't finished it even once and it's just got boring and repetitive to me, I guess I'm just burned out on open world games. I still think that The Witcher 2 is the best of the series (some of you will vehemently disagree with that belief and that's fine) it has the best story and the best characters and quests in my opinion with the most immersive environments I've personally ever seen in a game. The problem is, I'm burnt out and I don't think I'll ever play the game again, the Witcher 3 just destroyed my interest in the world with it's often-samey feeling quests and a lot of boring characters who, to me, didn't live up to the way they were hyped up. I'm sorry for my negativity, but I have to get this shit out of me to feel better. My apologies to the mods if I've disappointed you in some way, you're all good people, and as you know, I hate arguments and conflict between others.

If you're still interested in getting in touch with me, I'll be on Steam with AL890 as my username. If you're not on Steam, PM me and I'll send you my email address.

So long guys, I'm sorry for the unexpected exit, but I guess I'll see you around.

Bye Everyone! :clover:

Last edited:
May the 4th be with you, young man. Wait, it's not May? What? They've lied to us all that time. Ugh, bastards.

Back to topic, anyhow.

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom