2.1 still no night vision or flashlight. I wonder why

+
I mean at this stage I figure it's a conscious design decision to omit these devices from the game world. It's definitely possible to put these in the game if they wanted, One of the Phantom Liberty main mission even gives you a flashlight (of sorts) for the first bit of the quest where V needs it to navigate a confined space.

So it's not that CDPR can't, it's because they won't. I'm resigned to having to resort to a mod for this functionality but I am genuinely curious as to why CDPR decided against including this, I'd love to hear their rationale.

Probably because scanning with eye cyberware serves the purpose. Flashlight & night vision would still be nice to have though, I suppose.

"2.1 STILL NO NIGHT VISION OR FLASHLIGHT. I WONDER WHY"

There're mods that offer that. Have you tried them? Here.

Now as for the reason the REDS won't incorporate them, if I were to guess, I'd say that both are more or less a double edged sword.

Night vision, although very handy in darkness, it can severely hamper scanning during daylight. As you know, the game orchestrates a ton of processes to adequately portray light, shadow, reflections, particles, shadows, reflections of particles, enz. Had a couple of instances where during a scan, there was a complete whiteout. Had to take night vision off to be able to see something. That happened on a high-end rig, let alone a low one.

The flashlight, when you adjust its brightness mildly, so you can see in pitch-black, that same brightness can already be too bright when shining onto an NPC. They wholly glare up such, that you cannot see their faces. You'll see yourself having to decrease the flashlight's brightness in order to see NPC's faces. But again, that decreased brightness will in turn be too low to see in pitch-black. Especially when you're out in the open.

Playing with these for a while made me understand that neither the night vision or flashlight, can under every circumstance offer 100% consistency. An obligement of any dev-team. Hench why I think the REDS left them out. They simply thought the 2 features are way more trouble than they're worth.

"2.1 STILL NO NIGHT VISION OR FLASHLIGHT. I WONDER WHY"

There're mods that offer that. Have you tried them? Here.

Now as for the reason the REDS won't incorporate them, if I were to guess, I'd say that both are more or less a double edged sword.

Night vision, although very handy in darkness, it can severely hamper scanning during daylight. As you know, the game orchestrates a ton of processes to adequately portray light, shadow, reflections, particles, shadows, reflections of particles, enz. Had a couple of instances where during a scan, there was a complete whiteout. Had to take night vision off to be able to see something. That happened on a high-end rig, let alone a low one.

The flashlight, when you adjust its brightness mildly, so you can see in pitch-black, that same brightness can already be too bright when shining onto an NPC. They wholly glare up such, that you cannot see their faces. You'll see yourself having to decrease the flashlight's brightness in order to see NPC's faces. But again, that decreased brightness will in turn be too low to see in pitch-black. Especially when you're out in the open.

Playing with these for a while made me understand that neither the night vision or flashlight, can under every circumstance offer 100% consistency. An obligement of any dev-team. Hench why I think the REDS left them out. They simply thought the 2 features are way more trouble than they're worth.
Thanks. That makes sense. But for the PL mission I referred to (You Know My Name)
V's suit has a built in light to help him navigate the tunnels
so I really don't see the problem.
It is a real issue when V is in a dark place and there is very little ambient light to help V see his surroundings. Even the human eye will adjust to the dark and will be able to make things out, but this doesn't happen in game.

The problem I have is this: It's 2077, did flashlights just get phased out of existence, batteries don't exist...? We still need car headlights to drive around in the pitch dark, so why not flashlights for certain scenarios? I know it'd take away from some of their spooky dark areas, but it's a serious oversight/underthought problem. There is a mod out there that adds it without issue, don't understand why it can't be part of core gameplay.

When asked about this on stream, Pawel said it's because there are moments in the game where the scenery or gameplay is intentionally supposed to be dark and having the flashlight on would ruin that.

I mean he's not wrong.
Well it’s not like they can force you to turn it off like the radioport in these sceneries… poor argument for me : /
Post automatically merged:

Or they could make a „compromise“ Kiroshi nightvision like the crit one without any other abilities… sure people would moan about it but for those who really, really want it it would be ingame at least hmm…

Last edited:
Top Bottom