2.1 patch LOD issues + other stuff

+
Hi!

So, since patch 2.1 the game's been acting strange.

I understand that there were some overhauls in the pathtracing mode...It's the mode I started playing the game with after 2.0 and PL came out, but after 2.1 it's just been really weird. It was never perfect (sometimes the floor would disappear and things would glow, the issue with models going black when they swap LODs is still there - annoying, btw!), but never as bad as it is now where models just outright DISAPPEAR at a certain distance.

See the videos below:

This one's just shocking:

A random model I noticed:

Another major one... I think you see the point by now:

These are just a couple I filmed after getting tired of seeing it, but I KEEP seeing this horrid "disappear > pop-in" around the map. It's really bad.

In general, fading LOD transitions annoy me in games. They are far more visible/noticeable than an instant swap purely because there's now an entire animation that goes on, instead of an instant flick that you might not notice or pass off as something else. But now that the LOD loading distances are borked - we end up with a gap of no model at all...marvelous... How did this pass QC?

As for the extra nagging stuff:

The aforementioned black shading that happens when LOD models swap...why is this still a thing? I have a 4090, so I'd appreciate an option to just maybe load MORE stuff onto the GPU memory in advance at a greater distance so it wouldn't be as obvious as objects swapping 5-30m in front of the camera?

Sometimes chunks of water disappear... Also likely a LOD issue - see screenshots below. How has this passed QC when all it took me is 1 sitdown to notice this? (I'm obviously posting this well after the patch came out, you know - life).

Disappearing water (5 screenshots in sequence showing chunks of water + other objects disappearing):

Texturing in general seems to always suffer. It has suffered previously, but it appears that 2.1 screwed up the texture loading more as well. Just generally blurry textures in the distance. Again, an option to just force a bit more detail would be welcome, because using the in-game zoom options is pointless when the game looks like a PS2 game when looking at a distance.

Car steering is terrible on a keyboard. I don't understand how 20+ years ago Rockstar Games managed to nail it, yet modern game devs can't seem to be able to implement decent car handling to save their lives, it seems. Aside from GTA and dedicated racing games (not including the last few NFS titles, as those have terrible handling/physics) it seems like most other open-world games with cars seem to have terrible handling. Can't we just copy GTA here?

But seriously - CDPR need to address the LOD swapping, something is completely broken here!

My game is a fresh vanilla Galaxy install after 2.1, just loading my older saves, so no mods.

Last edited:
Yep, I noticed the same. Things like billboards are bugged too, and their proper LOD sometimes never even loads, leading to blurry messes from up close.

Also noticed that when I'm driving fast, e.g. with a Caliburn, I will sometimes crash into invisible objects or barricades because they appear too late.

Let's not forget vanishing vehicles and NPCs. I was getting persued by two cars during one of El Capitan's missions. I stopped at the highway, exited the car, and took out the first car with explosives. The other car was stopped a (really) short run ahead on that same highway so I went to take care of business.

By the time I was standing next to the other car, the first one alongside the dead enemies completely disappeared, except for the loot. When I went back (which took like one jump and two dashes) for that loot and the turned around, the other car + passengers were gone too.

Disgraceful. None of this existed in 1.63.

Hi!

I understand that there were some overhauls in the pathtracing mode...It's the mode I started playing the game with after 2.0 and PL came out, but after 2.1 it's just been really weird. It was never perfect (sometimes the floor would disappear and things would glow, the issue with models going black when they swap LODs is still there - annoying, btw!), but never as bad as it is now where models just outright DISAPPEAR at a certain distance.

See the videos below:

These are just a couple I filmed after getting tired of seeing it, but I KEEP seeing this horrid "disappear > pop-in" around the map. It's really bad.

In general, fading LOD transitions annoy me in games. They are far more visible/noticeable than an instant swap purely because there's now an entire animation that goes on, instead of an instant flick that you might not notice or pass off as something else. But now that the LOD loading distances are borked - we end up with a gap of no model at all...marvelous... How did this pass QC?

The aforementioned black shading that happens when LOD models swap...why is this still a thing? I have a 4090, so I'd appreciate an option to just maybe load MORE stuff onto the GPU memory in advance at a greater distance so it wouldn't be as obvious as objects swapping 5-30m in front of the camera?

Sometimes chunks of water disappear... Also likely a LOD issue - see screenshots below. How has this passed QC when all it took me is 1 sitdown to notice this? (I'm obviously posting this well after the patch came out, you know - life).

Disappearing water (5 screenshots in sequence showing chunks of water + other objects disappearing):

Texturing in general seems to always suffer. It has suffered previously, but it appears that 2.1 screwed up the texture loading more as well. Just generally blurry textures in the distance. Again, an option to just force a bit more detail would be welcome, because using the in-game zoom options is pointless when the game looks like a PS2 game when looking at a distance.

Car steering is terrible on a keyboard. I don't understand how 20+ years ago Rockstar Games managed to nail it, yet modern game devs can't seem to be able to implement decent car handling to save their lives, it seems. Aside from GTA and dedicated racing games (not including the last few NFS titles, as those have terrible handling/physics) it seems like most other open-world games with cars seem to have terrible handling. Can't we just copy GTA here?

But seriously - CDPR need to address the LOD swapping, something is completely broken here!

My game is a fresh vanilla Galaxy install after 2.1, just loading my older saves, so no mods.
Yeah CP had all sorts of lod issues since day one - anyone remembers the parking machines? xD Anyways, I dont think we will get any more patches or updates. So Unless theres a mod we are going to have to wait till Cyberpunk2 and see how UE5 handles the glory of NC.

Yeah CP had all sorts of lod issues since day one - anyone remembers the parking machines? xD Anyways, I dont think we will get any more patches or updates. So Unless theres a mod we are going to have to wait till Cyberpunk2 and see how UE5 handles the glory of NC.
I don't think you'll see any *new content* patches. But I wouldn't bet against bug fixes.

Game does look way blurrier and low res than it did before the patch. Anything past like 15m starts to look noticeably worse. Certainly feel 2.0 looked a lot better than 2.1.

I have beast PC and it sucks that the game is basically made worse for me now.

Thank you for your description.
plus all these, i have a very annoying issue that when i move (left and right) my camera fast then my FPS falls down and it is worse when RT is enabled. i have 4070ti 13600kf 32gb ram(ddr4) and a 60hz 1080p TV. and when i enable ray reconstruction the game crashes.
i really dont know what is going on lol !!!

Game does look way blurrier and low res than it did before the patch. Anything past like 15m starts to look noticeably worse. Certainly feel 2.0 looked a lot better than 2.1.

I have beast PC and it sucks that the game is basically made worse for me now.

Yeah, that's the feeling I got.

I'd love to see Avatar's "unobtanium" style settings - something tuned by a dev team with 4090s and future GPUs in mind - hidden somewhere in the game, not available in the UI for normies and/or people with weak GPUs. That way advanced users could get something more out of their systems - potentially even for years to come, while the people who'd normally clog up the message boards and tickets with "these settings are unoptimized and don't run on my GTX 960" would hopefully be minimized.

And CLEARLY this is a constant LOD issue for the sake of optimization... I'd appreciate a set of options to "de-optimize" now, thanks...
Post automatically merged:

Thank you for your description.
plus all these, i have a very annoying issue that when i move (left and right) my camera fast then my FPS falls down and it is worse when RT is enabled. i have 4070ti 13600kf 32gb ram(ddr4) and a 60hz 1080p TV. and when i enable ray reconstruction the game crashes.
i really dont know what is going on lol !!!
Are you using frame gen? Maybe try toggle that off and on to test if it's not that?

Yeah, that's the feeling I got.

I'd love to see Avatar's "unobtanium" style settings - something tuned by a dev team with 4090s and future GPUs in mind - hidden somewhere in the game, not available in the UI for normies and/or people with weak GPUs. That way advanced users could get something more out of their systems - potentially even for years to come, while the people who'd normally clog up the message boards and tickets with "these settings are unoptimized and don't run on my GTX 960" would hopefully be minimized.

And CLEARLY this is a constant LOD issue for the sake of optimization... I'd appreciate a set of options to "de-optimize" now, thanks...
Post automatically merged:

Are you using frame gen? Maybe try toggle that off and on to test if it's not that?
No i dont use frame gen. everything was just fine when update 2.0 released. i dont know maybe it is from one of the Nvidia drivers that i installed after 2.0. some guy in steam community has told that rolling back driver to version 537.42 which came out for phantom liberty DLC may fix the problem.

Unless we come together as a Community and keep a thread active on the front page CDPR is not going to fix LOD. It's honestly laughable how close things like piles of trash and textures just appear. If I want performance increase I will drop SSR from Max to Medium and witness MINIMAL change and gain a MASSIVE performance increase. They won't address this issue because it's only a small number of people complaining about it.

I'm starting to question if they even know how to fix it.

Last edited:
It's remarkable all their warnings about updating drivers and needing better tech to run the game did nothing noticeable. Everyone was up in arms over a nothing burger... sort of. A lot of people are suffering performance issues, but it's not on account of a big increase in visual fidelity.

Degraded Ray Tracing, degraded Path Tracing, degraded RTXDI - seriously, shadow fade distance for this is now comparable to vanilla raster (thanks, guys) degraded LOD swaps, degraded photomode, etc.

Hi!

See the videos below:

Sad but true.

• Decreasing of draw distance
  • Decreasing of level of details
  • Disappearance of car when distance greater than *** meters
  • Disappearance of NPCs when distance greater than *** meters
  • Appearance of cars literally in from of you (!)

All of the above unfortunately still shine again in v.2.* =(
Especially sad that this things were more or less fixed in v.1.6 - situation was much better.

I’m very glad that now there is a separate topic for this conversation, thanks to the author.

I already raised this topic in another thread. In my opinion, developers or modders (CDPR think about it) need to give us the opportunity to adjust the drawing distance ourselves.
I understand that this will most likely be quite difficult to implement, but it will make the optimization work easier even for you.
Well, or at least something like a blur check around the player, optional of course.

I'm done. Thx.

Top Bottom