A Few Words of Polish

+
MythosEngineer said:
MythosEngineer said:
MythosEngineer said:
Oddly enough, where I live we have a lot of Polish natives who've come here.
Can I ask where? ;D
I'm in the Northwest UK :) And if you are wondering because of my atrocious grammar & writing, it is because things go so fast in my head, getting them into typeable & readable sentances & phrases is often times incredibly challenging. When I speak, there are no problems lol.
No, I was asking because I wanted to know where are so many Poles :D

MythosEngineer said:
Bywaj is how everyone says good-bye really, I do not think I have heard it said a different way until I spoke with people outside the country.
As for bywaj it's rather not spoken often. It sounds a bit archaic... Yet it is getting more and more popular 'in my neighbourhood' after the release of The Witcher :D
MythosEngineer said:
MythosEngineer said:
MythosEngineer said:
Oddly enough, where I live we have a lot of Polish natives who've come here.
Can I ask where? ;D
I'm in the Northwest UK :) And if you are wondering because of my atrocious grammar & writing, it is because things go so fast in my head, getting them into typeable & readable sentances & phrases is often times incredibly challenging. When I speak, there are no problems lol.
I must say that you didn't misspell even one word :) I'm really impressed with 'się' since the 'ę' sounds in this word like 'e' and it's very easy to misspell it.

wisielec said:
there are a lot of interesting differences e.g. in english you have:between the devil and the big blue sea while in polish we say między młotem a kowadłem (between the hammer and the anvil)
English also has "between a rock and a hard place," which is very similar!

56236 said:
56236 said:
Ah ha ha, I have vague recollections of learning to say the letters when I was younger, but over time it's just become something like natural to speak. I suppose I never really thought to really in depth learn the language. It would not so incredibly hard with I would say probably 2/5 of my friends being Polish. Heeeey maybe then I could finish reading the series in actual Polish rather than waiting to get translations -_- But I know the next translation (book 2 in the Blood of Elves saga) will be out in English soon.
Um, actually Blood of Elves is already translated in English.Hey, something is better than nothing, it's good that you know and are affiliated with sources & roots of the language. :peace:
Well I ment book 2 in the Blood of Elves saga, book one being Blood of Elves, and The Last Wish not being part of the BoE saga, but more of the Witcher saga. I have The Last WIsh & Blood of Elves for a bit now & read them constantly hehe.As for bywaj, I don't really know of it being so archaic, but that's just what most Polish people use around here. Whether it's from the popularity of the books or not, I don't know, it's how it's been since I can remember.It's good to know I didn't misspell anything. I usually have a good ear for language mechanics ^^

:wave:I have two questions this time:1) The other day i was in Shani's house and granny told me to go upstairs. I play in Polish with English subtitles, and i think i heard "Na góre". Is it correct? The way to say "upstairs" is "at the mountain"?2) Do we say "anthropoid" with "Mał po ludźi" ( "A little of human" )?

1) Yes, it's correct. Like You say :)2) Małpolud. Anthropoid can be translated also "antropoid". We don't make spaces in that word. A little of human would be "mało z człowieka" or a little of humans "mało z ludzi". The word małpolud is more like a mix of małpa - monkey and ludzie - humans.

Thank you very much! It's awesome to have friends who help me with the language i 'm learning. For Małpolud, well, i was close! :D (Hm, yes, ludzi means people, człowiek means human ). I won't mix them in the future.

Cassandra31EEE said:
Thank you very much! It's awesome to have friends who help me with the language i 'm learning. For Małpolud, well, i was close! :D (Hm, yes, ludzi means people, człowiek means human ). I won't mix them in the future.
Exactly will be:people - ludzie ;) For example... Who's not here? Tu nie ma ludzi (There are no people here). Who stand there? Tam stoją ludzie (People stand there) :DGrammar in Polish isn't easy... Even I makes mistakes :D

1) You probably heard "Na gór[glow=red,2,300]ę[/glow]" :) Góra means mountain, but also up :)2) If you want to say "a little of people", I think, you should say "mało ludzi" :hmmm:Sorry for my English :p

Cassandra31EEE said:
Thank you all for your answers. Dziękuję bardzo za pomoc. :)I knew that
Góra means mountain,
but i didn't know this
but also up
This dualism is very funny sometimes. Especially when some polish speaker with little knowledge of English try to translate literally some Polish phrasal verbs :)I mean "Z góry dziękuję." which is "Thank you in advance." but many Poles tend to think: "Góra? -> Mountain!" :D and they make a little monster "Thank you form mountain." :DSo beware! Many Polish words have multiple meanings. Not always easy to make out ;)

Top Bottom