A Few Words of Polish

+
Vattghern said:
Border? And what has it to do? :DCan You say Polish and German is similar? Or German-French, French-Spanish, Finnish-Russian? :DHungarian would be nice if I could understand a word :D Finnish sounds nice ^^
Ok, I have to admit it does sound far fetched... ,but I think it'd clear it up if one says the "Balkan Region". It's still not accurate, but it's the best I can do for now.Besides, languages of Middle-Eastern Europe are very adaptive so I guess that might be a contributing factor. Let's just say that there's a certain similarity andleave it at that, because this may get too confusing. :peace:

56236 said:
Besides, we do use the same alphabet, right?
Sure, it's the same alphabet: Θθ, Σσ, Φφ, Γγ, Ξξ, Λλ, Ψψ, Ωω... / Eeę, Aaą, LlŁł... :pNo, i really chose Polish because of the books. But, in some surprising level, you have a point, only that you don't know it. :) In the region i live, which is called Epirus, Slavic tribes had lived for many years, so there are plenty of words we use (and mostly, older people use) which aren't greek. They 're slavic, and i find more and more of them. There are, also, plenty of site-names that are Slavic. Some times i find whole phrases people use in Epirus, and in no other place in Greece, because they don't have much sense in our language. They are translated Slavic. I know this now, because i find them in Polish. It's very interesting, really. I can understand many things from the vocabulary in a region. For example, in most Greek western islands you can hear many Italian words.

He meant his alphabet, not Polish :DStill, they are different - Greek and Bulgarian Cyrillic.

Cassandra31EEE said:
Cassandra31EEE said:
Besides, we do use the same alphabet, right?
Sure, it's the same alphabet: Θθ, Σσ, Φφ, Γγ, Ξξ, Λλ, Ψψ, Ωω... / Eeę, Aaą, LlŁł... :p
Cassandra31EEE said:
He meant his alphabet, not Polish :DStill, they are different - Greek and Bulgarian Cyrillic.
That's right. Well, if they were identical, why call yours Greek? Besides, both alphabets have different history belief systems... 1 in Melitele, 1 in the Eternal Fire :p
Cassandra31EEE said:
No, i really chose Polish because of the books.
Really? Now that's dedication. Wondering now :hmmm:.. is this your third language?
Cassandra31EEE said:
But, in some surprising level, you have a point, only that you don't know it. :) In the region i live, which is called Epirus, Slavic tribes had lived for many years, so there are plenty of words we use (and mostly, older people use) which aren't greek. They 're slavic, and i find more and more of them. There are, also, plenty of site-names that are Slavic. Some times i find whole phrases people use in Epirus, and in no other place in Greece, because they don't have much sense in our language. They are translated Slavic. I know this now, because i find them in Polish. It's very interesting, really. I can understand many things from the vocabulary in a region. For example, in most Greek western islands you can hear many Italian words.
This I was aware of, just not to what extent regionally.

Vattghern said:
Oh, how silly of me! :teeth: Some times, i ąm not at all concentrated, i can tell you. :DOK, Corylea, we 've done your thread the European Languages Center. I hope you don't mind. Still, i think it's time to stick in Polish words.Do zobaczenia, państwu.

Funny thing is polish language spred all over the globe...you can find it traces in Haiti and the like - historical reasons, polish troops fought in almost every major conflict; being anslaved for 120+ years and have our country scrapped and cancelled (erased from the maps I mean) helped - wonderlust and search for freedom in other countries.A tongue twist: try to say gżegżółka ::evil:

wisielec said:
Funny thing is polish language spred all over the globe...you can find it traces in Haiti and the like - historical reasons, polish troops fought in almost every major conflict; being anslaved for 120+ years and have our country scrapped and cancelled (erased from the maps I mean) helped - wonderlust and search for freedom in other countries.
It's not the location only, but the adaptiveness of the people. I'd hate to stereotype, but could yo imagine some Frenchies learn German? It's unheard of.Not impossible, just improbable as their roots deny this. So, the people must be able to and want to adapt in order to spread in that manner. Don't you think? :peace:

Oddly enough, where I live we have a lot of Polish natives who've come here. So then I was sort of around all of them growing up & know some & have never given it much thought. Bywaj is how everyone says good-bye really, I do not think I have heard it said a different way until I spoke with people outside the country. Would it be then more common to use? Also, some use Do zobaczenia (by the way sorry if I mess up with the spelling, I really never wrote these down, just growing up around some who speak Polish, its learnt by hearing not writing) but that is more of what my friends & I say with for see you later or something. Also another common one is Jak się masz for how are you i guess is close... some of the younger kids just say sie masz but maybe it is just me, it sounds a little silly -_- Probably just because I am used to Jak się masz. I am by no means an expert here, I do not live in Poland or ever have been there, I am just going on what I have picked up growing around some Polish speakers! It also helps as there are many Polish shops as well where everything is in Polish lol. Also, there are so many ways I am used to having to say hello or something in Polish -_- I guess the most common I use with my Polish speaking friends is Cześć or Witaj.All of this probably is gone over in the thread before, but even tho I just read it, I cannot remember everything in it -_-

Came across this e-book recently on a local university's website, haven't had a chance to look through it, however."Polish Americans and Their Communities of Cleveland"http://www.clevelandmemory.org/ebooks/polish/It's seperated into 3 parts: 1) History/culture of Poland (pre-1976 information, the date of publication of the book); 2) Polish immigration to the U.S. (1608-1970); 3) The Polish Community in Cleveland (Ohio), 1848-1970

Some of the most important and common Polish expressions to greet people.....
Dzień dobry is a general official form of greeting people we do not know and older people. We use it no matter whether it is morning (in English: Good morning) or afternoon (in English: Good afternoon).Dobry wieczór (in English: Good evening) is similar to Dzień dobry, but it is used in the evening.Dobranoc (in English: Good night) is said when people leave each other in the evening or before going to bed.Do widzenia! (in English: Goodbye) is used when someone leaves or is left.Cześć! (in English: Hi!, Hello!, Bye!) is an informal expression we use both when we want to greet our friends, relatives, children and people we know well and when we want to say goodbye.Witam! or Witaj! is quite similar to Cześć! but a little bit less emotional.Czołem! is again close to Cześć! but it sounds more archaically and less familiar.Jak się masz!, Jak się miewasz!, Co u Ciebie słychać! or Co słychać! (in English: How do you do?, How are you?) is a greeting which expresses interest in mood and health condition of the person we have met.
maybe later, I'll state some informal expressions as these seem to be quite formal and common in dialect.

Vattghern said:
Vattghern said:
Oddly enough, where I live we have a lot of Polish natives who've come here.
Can I ask where? ;D
I'm in the Northwest UK :) And if you are wondering because of my atrocious grammar & writing, it is because things go so fast in my head, getting them into typeable & readable sentances & phrases is often times incredibly challenging. When I speak, there are no problems lol.

MythosEngineer said:
I'm in the Northwest UK :) And if you are wondering because of my atrocious grammar & writing, it is because things go so fast in my head, getting them into typeable & readable sentances & phrases is often times incredibly challenging. When I speak, there are no problems lol.
But, UK is not that far off from Poland so I wouldn't be surprised. Anyways, I think it harbors a decent minimal percentage of the population.Perhaps you could bless us with some common sayings?? ;)

56236 said:
56236 said:
But, UK is not that far off from Poland so I wouldn't be surprised. Anyways, I think it harbors a decent minimal percentage of the population.Perhaps you could bless us with some common sayings?? ;)
Ah ha ha, I do not think I am someone who could be a good referance for this, but maybe I could be a little :) I did grow up around some so who knows! I don't really have literal translations for these, just generally what they mean or how they are used, so!One of my favourites is O wilku mowa, a wilk tuż tuż which I use more often than I thought I do, now that I think of it. It means something like speak of the devil, you know how they say, but I think it's more literally speak of a wolf & the wolf comes to you or something. There is one that my younger sister's friends mum always says to him, followed usually by a thwap on the head or something when he doesn't want to do exams, that is Ucz się ucz, bo nauka to do potęgi klucz which means something like Knowledge is power, don't give up I think. Another thing that is said sometimes, but usually from the elder people is Gdzie diabeł nie może, tam babę pośle which has never actually been translated for me, but from when the elder guys use it, it has something to do with women being a pain in the arse or something. Maybe someone who is Polish here can translate that for me ;) I would like to have an appropriate responce to the next elder who says that to me when I break their cabinets trying to put up shelves. I'll try to think of some more that's said, but really I don't take specific notes. It's like coming to someone to say what are things commonly said when you were younger? You just know them & don't really think to yourself I know this in this language & this in another. But I will keep an ear out for the more common things said in the next few days :)

MythosEngineer said:
Gdzie diabeł nie może, tam babę pośle
If I have to translate this without knowing the language, I'd say: "Girlfriends the Devil can't (handle maybe), there baby is after.... I know this may sound silly, but it's the best I could do without a dictionary :DAnd O wilku mowa, a wilk tuż tuż I think is: O wolf of mine, a wolf will come here... Hopefully some of you got a laugh out of this, but my tongue is sore now :peace:Thank-you for some interesting phrases there... we're going to have fun twisting & butchering our tongues and this language ;D

56236 said:
56236 said:
Gdzie diabeł nie może, tam babę pośle
If I have to translate this without knowing the language, I'd say: "Girlfriends the Devil can't (handle maybe), there baby is after.... I know this may sound silly, but it's the best I could do without a dictionary :DAnd O wilku mowa, a wilk tuż tuż I think is: O wolf of mine, a wolf will come here... Hopefully some of you got a laugh out of this, but my tongue is sore now :peace:Thank-you for some interesting phrases there... we're going to have fun twisting & butchering our tongues and this language ;D
Ah ha ha, I have vague recollections of learning to say the letters when I was younger, but over time it's just become something like natural to speak. I suppose I never really thought to really in depth learn the language. It would not so incredibly hard with I would say probably 2/5 of my friends being Polish. Heeeey maybe then I could finish reading the series in actual Polish rather than waiting to get translations -_- But I know the next translation (book 2 in the Blood of Elves saga) will be out in English soon.

MythosEngineer said:
but I think it's more literally speak of a wolf & the wolf comes to you or something.
...for some reason that line sounds familiar, I know I've read it recently, but I'm having trouble placing the source...*grumbles* Can't remember where though. Only wolf-related quote I can recall at the moment is from Babylon 5:
"Have you ever heard of the hour of the wolf? My father told me about it. It's the time between 3:00 and 4:00 in the morning. You can't sleep, and all you can see is the troubles and the problems and the ways that your life should've gone but didn't. All you can hear is the sound of your own heart. I've been living in the hour of the wolf for seven days, Lyta. Seven days. The wolf and I are now on a first-name basis. In times like this, my father used to take one large glass of vodka before bed. To keep the wolf away, he said. And then he would take three very small drinks of vodka, just in case she had cubs while she was waiting outside. It doesn't work."

O wilku mowa, a wilk tuż tuż - literaly it means "speak of the wolf, and hes nearby (almost here)" which to my knowledge is "speak of the devil and he doth appear"Gdzie diabeł nie może, tam babę pośle - where the devil cant, he will send a woman"
when the elder guys use it, it has something to do with women being a pain in the arse or something
heh, spot on :D your intuition is corrrrect.Ucz się ucz, bo nauka to do potęgi klucz - learn (yourself), learn because the knowledge is a key to might/power - literal translation of course. I cant think of any counterpart in english... there are a lot of interesting differences e.g. in english you have:between the devil and the big blue sea while in polish we say między młotem a kowadłem (between the hammer and the anvil)I wanted to ask you Mythos are your friends (polish ones) are the new wave or some 2nd or 3rd generation of poles living there? Furthermore are there any sterotypical sayings or opinions on poles (or jokes)? Please indulge my curiosity :teeth:Really cool signature you've got there Mythos ;DSome informal greetings:Siema - derrived from jak się masz - how are you - used usually when greeting, but its common to say goodbye with it.Nara - from na razie - literaly: for now - its the same as with later/see you later some say nera (instead of nara) which also means kidney :) .Do zobaczenia - see you later. I often use misspelled (for fun) do zrobaczenia which incorporates robak(worm) and robaczywy(wormeaten) - it could be translated as (see you) 'til the bugs will eat us.

Thank you for the signature compliment. I made it the other night lol :) Some of my friends are directly from Poland who have come here to live & learned English here, & some of them were born here & grew up speaking Polish & English.As for Polish jokes or stereotypes, sure there are many, but to be honest, I really don't like them lol. They can get on the racist side & I just don't find them amusing in the least. I'm sure if very pressed you could hit me up on some IM place & I could relay them to you in the most dire & sarcastic of ways ^^

MythosEngineer said:
Ah ha ha, I have vague recollections of learning to say the letters when I was younger, but over time it's just become something like natural to speak. I suppose I never really thought to really in depth learn the language. It would not so incredibly hard with I would say probably 2/5 of my friends being Polish. Heeeey maybe then I could finish reading the series in actual Polish rather than waiting to get translations -_- But I know the next translation (book 2 in the Blood of Elves saga) will be out in English soon.
Um, actually Blood of Elves is already translated in English.Hey, something is better than nothing, it's good that you know and are affiliated with sources & roots of the language. :peace:

Top Bottom