A Few Words of Polish

+
Thanks, wisielec and Otaku!So, in addition to saying Kocham Wiedźmina, we can all start learning to say Kocham Zabójcy królów, too.Wait, I think I just sprained my tongue. :D Zabójcy królów is harder to say than Wiedźmina. Gotta love those Ivona folks, though -- they'll pronounce anything for you.Vidge-MEEN-uh, not only do I love thee, but thou art easier to pronounce than many other Polish words. ;D

Corylea said:
Vidge-MEEN-uh, not only do I love thee, but thou art easier to pronounce than many other Polish words. ;D
It's actually easier for me to pronounce by following the syllables from the letters as they coincide with my mother tongue.Also, after watching The Hexer series in Polish with English subs (since I didn't find an English Dubbed version), I think I got the hang of it, it really does help. :peace:

Corylea said:
Thanks, wisielec and Otaku!So, in addition to saying Kocham Wiedźmina, we can all start learning to say Kocham Zabójcy królów, too.Wait, I think I just sprained my tongue. :D Zabójcy królów is harder to say than Wiedźmina. Gotta love those Ivona folks, though -- they'll pronounce anything for you.Vidge-MEEN-uh, not only do I love thee, but thou art easier to pronounce than many other Polish words. ;D
Kocham Zabójców Królów.We need to change these words a little bit, otherwise it sounds somewhat similar to saying: "Me is speaking" :)It's too late for me to think about how to write it in English (especially after learning German :D), so I'll just put it into Ivona.http://www.ivona.com/?tk=2JOnh028:)

I still lack a grammar book, so i really need a bit of a help, please. :wave:I 've seen that in some verbs we use the letter z in front of the word, for example the verb rozumiem (i understand ), becomes zrozumiem. When we say zrozumiem instead of rozumiem, and why? What does it mean? It confuses me, because i see it in the past tense too. "Zrozumiała". What does this mean? "I will understood"? :whatthe:Thank you in advance.

Hmm...rozumiem - I understandzrozumiem - I will understand (so it makes it into future)but in past:rozumiała - she used to understand (she understood it then, she doesn't need to understand now)zrozumiała - she understood it (and most likely still understands)When we talk about future:Będę rozumiał - I will be understanding (there is no form of bare "rozumiem" to be used in future)Zrozumiem - I will understand:)

Cassandra31EEE said:
I still lack a grammar book, so i really need a bit of a help, please. :wave:I 've seen that in some verbs we use the letter z in front of the word, for example the verb rozumiem (i understand ), becomes zrozumiem. When we say zrozumiem instead of rozumiem, and why? What does it mean? It confuses me, because i see it in the past tense too. "Zrozumiała". What does this mean? "I will understood"? :whatthe:Thank you in advance.
Unfortunately this is not as simple as in English... I'll try to explain this by examples:1. Rozumiem. = I understand. (both male and female can say that)2. Zrozumiem. = I will understand. (male and female form)3a. Zrozumiałem. = I understood. (the action is completed, male form)3b. Zrozumiałam. = I understood.(completed action, female form)4a. Zrozumi. = He understood. (completed action)4b. Zrozumiała. = She understood. (completed action)Now it may not be clear but (EDIT) in this example the "z" at the beginning means that action is or will be completed and not only is carried out. The ending of word (in this example these single words are whole sentences) implies tense used (past, present, future) and person that speaks.It may not have any sense because I don't really know much about grammar :p Yet I tried to answer as clear as I could...

Otaku said:
Now it may not be clear but the "z" at the beginning means that action is or will be completed and not only is carried out. The ending of word (in this example these single words are whole sentences) implies tense used (past, present, future) and person that speaks.It may not have any sense because I don't really know much about grammar :p Yet I tried to answer as clear as I could...
Indeed... with few words "z" in the beginning would function the role You've written about - like in rozumiał/zrozumiał or robić/zrobić. It doesn't work with all words: for example with word "gotować" (means to boil) would work "u" - gotowałem (I was boiling) / ugotowałem (I boiled). With rysować (to draw) it would be "na" - rysowałem (I was drawing) / narysowałem (I drew).These forms - also change tenses. When we have word in present (rysuję, rozumiem, gotuję) after we add these parts, we get word in future tense:rysuję (I'm drawing) -> narysuję (I will draw)rozumiem (I understand) -> zrozumiem (I will understand)gotuję (I'm boiling) -> ugotuję (I will boil)By the way we can see we cannot use "done" form in present. We can use done form in future, but to use undone form in future we need to add "będę".Będę gotować/rysować/rozumieć.

Vattghern said:
Indeed... with few words "z" in the beginning would function the role You've written about
You're completely right. I was so concentrated on this one example that instead of thinking ("myślałem") I made it up ("zmyślałem") ;)

Ok, can anyone translate a Word in Polish for me?Raki / Rakiya / Schnapps / Fire Water .... I just need it in Polish. Thanks :peace:

For two first - I don't know if there is translation (in fact I'm not sure what is it, could You find me some images, or give definition?)Schnapps - used in our "slang" speech, exactly as "schnapps". In fact this German word (shnaps) is multilanguage.Fire Water - woda ognista

Vattghern said:
For two first - I don't know if there is translation (in fact I'm not sure what is it, could You find me some images, or give definition?)Schnapps - used in our "slang" speech, exactly as "schnapps". In fact this German word (shnaps) is multilanguage.Fire Water - woda ognista
Well, first 2 are the same as last two. It's just the geographical divide that's the difference. Love the Fire Water translation (direct by denotation, but good). Thanks :peace:

Thank you very much for your answers. I think it's very clear. Yeah, i get it! Oh, thanks, thanks, thanks! :-* Both of you, Vatt`ghern and Otaku, you 've been very helpful. (I really need a grammar book, all seem so easy when you... have the answers! :D )[pride mod] Otaku, i already knew about the male/female forms of past tense. [pride mod/] ;DEDIT after reading the last post Vatt made: Clear, all clear, i am a happy student. OK, i 'll stop! :D

But of course! How else will i be able to read The Witcher series? ;) The fact is, that it started like this, but after a while (i 'm learning for one and a half year now), i really liked the language. I even watch TV Polonia, and with a great joy i realized that i understand some things. It's difficult, but not as much as i thought. I think i 'll be fluent in... some years. :DAt least, i will become better in Polish than in English, which is a language i don't like very much and i am bored to study. :peace:

Cassandra31EEE said:
But of course! How else will i be able to read The Witcher series? ;) The fact is, that it started like this, but after a while (i 'm learning for one and a half year now), i really liked the language. I even watch TV Polonia, and with a great joy i realized that i understand some things. It's difficult, but not as much as i thought. I think i 'll be fluent in... some years. :DAt least, i will become better in Polish than in English, which is a language i don't like very much and i am bored to study. :peace:
You know what? I don't even study Polish, but, just when I tuned-into some polish channel with subtitles in Polish, I found that I understood most of it.Really, this quite surprised me, but I won't be fluent ever I think. Did you seriously start Polish just for the series?? :)

It's not so surprising - if I watched some Bulgarian TV, I'd unserstand much as well probably (or if You were writing with normal letters :D).I think so because even surnames are similar here and there.Same with Czech/Slovak languages, similar with Russian/Ukrainian.Even with Lithuanians I often see similar words (that's nice, because when we don't remember or know word in English, we're able to put Polish or Lithuanian word - and they are often almost same in our languages :)).

56236 said:
56236 said:
You know what? I don't even study Polish, but, just when I tuned-into some polish channel with subtitles in Polish, I found that I understood most of it. Really, this quite surprised me, but I won't be fluent ever I think.
Um, hon, you're Bulgarian, and Cassandra is Greek. I think it's a bigger deal to understand some Polish when your native language is Greek!

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
You know what? I don't even study Polish, but, just when I tuned-into some polish channel with subtitles in Polish, I found that I understood most of it. Really, this quite surprised me, but I won't be fluent ever I think.
Um, hon, you're Bulgarian, and Cassandra is Greek. I think it's a bigger deal to understand some Polish when your native language is Greek!
Oh come on, across the border ain't so different. Besides, we do use the same alphabet, right? We're basically on the same wave (I'll be there in 1 hour ;D ;D)I bet Cassy over here chose Polish because she can relate to it on some level. It's only logical. Maybe she needs to state something sarcastic,... put us in our place. :D

Border? And what has it to do? :DCan You say Polish and German is similar? Or German-French, French-Spanish, Finnish-Russian? :DHungarian would be nice if I could understand a word :D Finnish sounds nice ^^

Top Bottom