Animal Symbolism

+
Summing up what I've found and concluded so far:

It seems that enlightenment and wisdom have been wrongly interpreted as being the same and many people see them that way. I personally come to believe that they're completely different concepts.
Enlightenment is the knowing without knowing. It’s about the inner guidance that shows us the way without requiring details of the situation (intuition). when you feel something is wrong without knowing why, or when you feel this is not the way without having any reason, that your inner guidance helping you. Every person experiences such things but usually they don't give it any attention.
However wisdom is the knowing from all directions and feeling the duality. It’s the ability to look at a situation from different perspectives; to realize that although everything seems to have its opposite, both sides are actually one and the same and this opposition (duality) is the result of our standing point and linear perception. Many philosophers had claimed that there are no good or evil; that’s exactly the wisdom. If we see through the eyes of evil, we will identify the former good as the new evil.

The most dominant symbol of enlightenment across different cultures is the eagle. I guess because this creature flies at high altitudes and has the perfect sight so it’s the symbol of seeing everything; in other word the inner guidance sees as an eagle.
Symbol of wisdom varies on different cultures; however as it will be explained later, they share a similar root.
Chinese: Dragon
Hindu: Elephant (Ganesha, the god of intellect and wisdom had the head of an elephant), Nagal (Indian name for Dragon)
Persia: Snake (Anahita, the goddess of fertility, healing and wisdom was known to be a snake tamer)
Greek: Owl (Athena, the goddess of wisdom, law and justice, strategy, craft and skill had an owl companion)
Slavic: black bird (Gamayun, the prophetic bird of Russian folklore is a symbol of wisdom and knowledge and is depicted as a large black bird with a woman’s head)
Norse: Crow (Odin gained wisdom through his two crow companions)
Aztec: Serpent (Quetzalcoatl, the god of wisdom is a feathered serpent)

As you may already know, astrology had a significant role in every culture. In fact mythology, astrology and symbolism were all connected and linked together; also keep in mind that astrology is not those shitty horoscope interpretations that everyone is familiar with. As an astrologer, I realized that all animal symbolisms of wisdom are associated with the planet Saturn. But the enlightenment and eagle are both associated with the Sun. Sun and Saturn are considered archenemies in astrology and cannot coexist close to each other. In other word, I think it’s safe to say that between the enlightenment and the wisdom, only one path can be chosen. Many may consider astrology to be superstitious because of their misconception about it or whatever the reason, that’s fine. Let’s just disregard astrology and symbolism for a while; if one considers the explanations made above regarding the enlightenment and wisdom, it’s evident that these two cannot exist at the same time. Simply because the reasoning or philosophical view blocks our intuition. We can either trust the evidence before us or trust our feelings, because often they contradict each other.

One correction there - the dragon isn't traditionally a symbol of wisdom for the Chinese. It symbolises greatness and power, but not wisdom.

I'm not really sure what would be the symbol for wisdom, maybe the snake or the crane? Monkey is intelligent, but cunning rather than wise.

1. Cats
2. Traditionally - owls and raven. Realistically - cats as well.

It is not like I am a crazy cat-guy, but I respect them for their zen kind of wisdom, and adaptability. :) I don't even know if I am joking or not.

Guy N'Wah, I really like that coyote on a bus.

One correction there - the dragon isn't traditionally a symbol of wisdom for the Chinese. It symbolises greatness and power, but not wisdom.

I'm not really sure what would be the symbol for wisdom, maybe the snake or the crane? Monkey is intelligent, but cunning rather than wise.

I think it's the snake. In some cultures, such as Thai, the snake is the "little dragon". Both are facets of the ruler: the power of the dragon, well used by the wisdom of the snake. Cranes symbolize longevity and immortality. I had it from some Cantonese friends that two cranes are the symbol of a long and happy marriage,

1. Cats
Guy N'Wah, I really like that coyote on a bus.

That's the notorious "Light-Rail Coyote" of Portland. Found the train stopped at PDX, made himself comfortable, animal control had to be called to come take him off.

Last edited:
@dragonbird;
Although we have different kung fu styles regarding snake and dragon. they seem to be two sides of single coin. dragon is considered to be a snake in its glory and power. (kind of an evolved snake)

Oh, the Chinese dragon is definitely awesome and powerful, but wise? Nope, don't see that. It's the jock that the high school girls drool over rather than the geek, the charismatic leader rather than the adviser.

Odin didn't gain his wisdom just from Hugin and Munin, he bartered for it with many powers and was always greedily seeking more, plucking out his own eye to take a drink from the well of Mimir, hanging from the World Ash as a living sacrifice to himself for nine days and nights, fooling the Giantess Angr Boda etcetera.

Edit: Pity that in the modern age when we've got so much knowledge of our solar system and beyond that astrology still exists, still if you can make money off suckers all the more power to your elbow.

Last edited:
Edit: Pity that in the modern age when we've got so much knowledge of our solar system and beyond that astrology still exists, still if you can make money off suckers all the more power to your elbow.

I have already said that astrology is not those ridiculous horoscope interpretations. it's like comparing a ship with a floating box.
by the way, there had always been some people who took advantage of others ignorance and I believe there will be. fortunately I haven't been one of these vultures. some of my former class mates are making more than 200$ per day just from astrology !!! but I'm saying again, that's not what astrology is about.
my personal reason for learning these stuff was something else.
also note that modern science and astronomy has helped astrological calculations a lot.

I have no intention of demonstrating astrology, because I don't like sending people to those thieves. I just wanted to explain a little about it and end some misunderstandings.

Last edited:
2. Traditionally - owls and raven. Realistically - cats as well.

It is not like I am a crazy cat-guy, but I respect them for their zen kind of wisdom, and adaptability.
As someone who owns a cat, they’re pretty stupid in my experience: “Oh, look, an open flame. I wonder what will happen if I touch it with my paw ...” :D The idiom “Curiosity killed the cat” did not appear by chance. Oh and I think you’re mistaking zen for laziness :p

@demut, that uses happen when the owner has the same "laziness" to understand cats' life. And zen, as the capacity of ignore what is not really important, is the correct term for cats. Trust me. :cat:

Domestic cats have the zen ability to ignore what isn't important to them, they show signs of curiosity, intelligence and cunning, but wisdom? No, I'm going to have to agree with Demut about that.
They seek wisdom, but it usually eludes them. They're the symbol of the hunter.

Domestic cats have the zen ability to ignore what isn't important to them.

Isn't it what real wisdom actually amounts to - an ability to ignore unimportant stuff (in situations, relationships, and other matters), and concentrate all efforts only on something that is important in life? It obviously includes an ability to determine what is important and what is not, but cats are quite good in this as well. At least this is how I would understand wisdom.

Well, correct me is I'm wrong, but in fact no animal excepting human being has the capacity to be wisdom as we understand it because to get a level of wisdom you need to be before intelligent. The wisdom that can be attributed to animals can only exist if man makes them mythological beings.

@wichat ; wisdom in my opinion is a result of deep and advanced reasoning. you're right, I really don't know any animal beside humans, being able to posses wisdom.
but symbolism is a different matters. these icons are like some sort of special keys that link to something very deep within. they can make us have certain feelings. for example when someone mentions "cat" then suddenly "agility" would come to our mind. here the "cat" is working as a symbol because of that special signal in our brain. most symbols are much more difficult to grasp.
snake resembles the cold and relaxed behavior of a mature being. snakes wouldn't show themselves unless it's really necessary; just like an experienced person who doesn't meddle when it's not needed. and . . . .

Last edited:
when someone mentions "cat" then suddenly "agility" would come to our mind
in modern western culture of course, but even Romans have devotion for cats not only for its agility. The Godness Diana took often its shape because of its discretion and "wisdom"
Cats are or were considered as Gods or magical spirits in many cultures like Egiptian or Hindu.
Well, I suppose that depends on your definition of what is important ...
If I were cat my definition of important wasn't the same that I have now.... Man never ever has domesticated the cat but have been domesticated by it. Here is the wisdom of the Cat.

Edit: Just a very, very little guide about cats... http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140127-cats-pets-animals-nation-dogs-people-science/ Specially "Comments" below.

Last edited:
About astrology:
From my understanding, astrology proposes that human or world activities can be understood through some kind of inherent relationship between them and celestial objects (the area of astronomy). Essentially this gives it the character of divination. In our time of hard evidence it is rare to engage in these things but to each their own. I won't deny the impact of classical astrology on everyday life, starting with the names of days that are taken from their idea of "planets" and their respective deities (Friday - Venus / Freyja, Thusday - Jupiter / Thor, Tuesday - Mars / Tyr, etc).

About wisdom:
I don't think it has to do with visible behavior as much as the internal reasons for doing things. Non human animals are also intelligent (in fact a good definition of intelligence has to be inclusive) but we don't fully understand the cognitive mechanisms of other species very well (or our own for that matter). Here's a simple but useful attempt at defining wisdom.

From a functionalist/information processing approach, we can consider a progression of knowledge representation layers. At the lower level we would have data, consisting of isolated elements (3 Kg, 2 days). Information could then be the correlation of different types of data (this package is 3 Kg and arrived 2 days ago). In this highly simplistic model we can conceive wisdom as a higher order representation that simply assumes the presence of knowledge and applies it in complex and maybe generalized problem solving. For example, decision making with moral dilemmas based on several kinds of knowledge and implications with culture, history and society, etc. The internal mechanisms could be hidden or inaccessible. In other words, you are wise by choosing correctly but you don't necessarily know why, much like heuristics, or old sayings and proverbs. Many ancient texts like the Poetic Edda are considered to be books of wisdom, and they're full of this type of advise. This is a very simplistic point of view of course.

If a person ignores irrelevant stimuli we could potentially attribute that to wisdom, but also to A.D.D. So it's not a good indicator in my opinion. Especially in cats. This is not saying animals are excluded from being wise, which would very well work with the above definition.

But like Black Leopard said, we're talking about animals that make us think of wisdom, not necessarily animals that *are* wise. I agree with owls and ravens, and if we include myths, then dragons. An interesting animal we left out is the Orangutan, said to be "too wise to let man know he can speak".

And to me, an animal that make me think of wisdom is the cat :lol:

Yep, this is it. In our hectic lives I see people always in a hurry, always busy with some puny crap, pursuing pleasures, relationships, money, and then running to shrinks to complain that their lives went to shit because of all the wrong things they did, or said. And here are cats, just laying there and looking at all this mess, with enigmatic half-smiles on their faces, and probably wondering how stupid these two-legged animals are.
I have no idea about mental life of any animal, but cats, just being there and behaving as they usually do, make me think about a lot of things. That probably makes me wiser, and because they are a reason for it, they are wise in my books. :hatsoff:

Some crazy conspiracy theorists believe that cats are spies from another dimension who are preparing to conquer our world. Crazy or not, but may be they are onto something here, who knows? :hmm:

Top Bottom