Bring Back Breaching!

+
I like the changes to netrunning in terms of effectiveness - things like the synergies between smart weapons and hacking are delicious. The trees are solid, etc. There's been no real loss of power other than in terms of comparison to the ridiculously OP Contagion builds of yore. The distinction between covert, control and damage quickhacks is good, etc., etc.

But the one thing I don't like about the way netrunning has gone is the almost total loss of the idea of breaching a network before being able to hack it (either by breaching mobs or static points connected to the mobs' networks).

I've always been fine with the breaching minigame, and I always thought it was a cool mechanic that distinguished netrunning from "magic just with different graphics," which is almost what it's become now.

It's understandable from the point of view of streamlining, but think about netrunning as a thing: is the type of player attracted to netrunning really after streamlined or simplified gameplay? On the contrary, I think players who are attracted to netrunning (as a career, so to speak, and as a concept) are going to be attracted to the idea of it being a bit complex and a bit fiddly.

I really loved breaching :(

Had so much fun and satisfacion aligning 7 different sequences to upload all possible daemons, auto-Reboot Optics and weapon glitch being my favorite. Made me feel like an actual Netrunner breaching into a network, rather than just pew pew quickhacks.

Breaching is still in the game though, try it next time and breach an areas access point before doing a quick hack on an enemy. After you have breached you gain a -2 RAM to your quick hacks, it shows on screen when you are scanning an enemy ready to quick hack.

Breaching is still in the game though, try it next time and breach an areas access point before doing a quick hack on an enemy. After you have breached you gain a -2 RAM to your quick hacks, it shows on screen when you are scanning an enemy ready to quick hack.
Ah, that's good to know! That's pretty big actually and might be worth the risk (and even that minor perk point bottom left on the tree).

It's still a far cry from the original idea of having to breach before being able to hack at all, but it's good that there's still a nod to the concept in the gameplay.

That minor perk is worth its weight in gold.
You want to be rich in the game, buy all the cyberware etc.
Get that perk, always breach everything even after combat to get quickhacks and quickhack craft components. Use those components to make the most expensive quickhacks and flip them for big cash.
Plus you will get all the quiclhacks and crafting specs yourself from breaching. you will never need to buy any quickhack yourself. Just to T bugs quest, get free ping and you are good to go.

FYI you didn't have to breach to hack in CP 1.0 onwards either it just helped, it decreased the amount of ram you needed to do hacks and harmed the enemies resistances etc.
If works the exact same way but they removed the resistant debuffs and moved that into perks and cyberware.

If you are netrunner tech savvy and read the perks, cyberware, and get your load orders right that capitalises on it you will know that you can get mega -RAM costs for quickhacks from many sources, and while breaching gives a -2 RAM cost to all hacks after a breach (indicated by the -2 RAM network breach indication in the bottom middle of the screen when scanning) it is only really neccisary to do it before going into combat in a large compound with lots of people and where you are going in sneaky.
If not you can just pop overclock and bounceback medkit and nuke everyone.

Say for example I breached and area first, go onto a camera, ping everyone, upload sonic shock, memory wipe, cyberware malfunction and cyberpsychosis I can potentially get that ultimate hack down to costing me like 1-4 RAM.

I fully love the entire new netrunning system. my only gripe is basically all of the micro perks in INT tree are actually useless for full on netrunners.
Especially the 2 far left mid perks are useless.
Possibly they are there for novice netrunners who are rather just running and gunning with quickhcks.
Feels like the entire perks from the tree of the queue skill line (far left INT skills) are useless for full netrunner builds.

Meh. Of all the changes, this is the one I mind the least. Breaching was cool, but in terms of combat, it should've been something you did to netrunners only anyway. Wouldn't mind if they brought back the ability to breach just them.

Top Bottom