[BUG] - Cyberdeck Buffer Sizes Are Incorrectly Calculated At Ripperdocs

+
The presented cyberdeck total buffer values in Ripperdoc vendor menus are incorrectly calculated because the math formula is calculating the [PLAYER'S CURRENT TOTAL BUFFER SIZE] and then adding onto it the buffer values from the previewed cyberdecks.

So the incorrect formula calculates like this;

[BASE BUFFER SIZE] + [INSTALLED CYBERDECK'S BUFFER SIZE] + [SHOP'S CYBERDECK BUFFER SIZE] = The displayed buffer size.

When it should be calculating like this;
[BASE BUFFER SIZE] + [SHOP'S CYBERDECK BUFFER SIZE] = The displayed buffer size.

In this video example;
  • The Arasaka Mk4's incorrect total buffer size is 10, calculated like this; Base 4 + 3 + 3.
  • The Tetratronic Rippler Mk2's incorrect total buffer size is 8, calculated like this; Base 4 + 3 + 1.
If the player equips the Tetratronic Rippler MK2, then all the values change because the player's total buffer size changed, so now;
  • The Arasaka Mk4's incorrect total buffer size is shown as 8, calculated like this; Base 4 + 1 + 3.
  • The Tetratronic Rippler Mk2's incorrect total buffer size is shown as 6, calculated like this; Base 4 + 1 + 1.
Not sure why shops even have to present total buffer sizes on cyberdecks, it would be much simpler if they simply showed their true buffer size just like the inventory screen does because right now it's confusing a ton of people to have two different numbers in two different places.

Why can't both places simply show the cyberdeck's true buffer size, just like the Inventory screen does;

Last edited:
I didn't play netrunner at all in 2.0, but the last value is the buffer size?
I always thought it was some kind of level requirement (INT attribute or netrunner skill).

Yup it's the buffer size for breaching access points, but unfortunately terribly presented to the player so ends up confusing a ton of people because of its inconsistent representation :D
  • Inventory menu shows the actual buffer size of the cyberdeck itself.
  • Ripperdoc menu is supposed to show the player the total buffer size IF you install that cyberdeck, but its math formula is incorrect so it is throwing completely false numbers.

Yup it's the buffer size for breaching access points, but unfortunately terribly presented to the player so ends up confusing a ton of people because of its inconsistent representation :D
  • Inventory menu shows the actual buffer size of the cyberdeck itself.
  • Ripperdoc menu is supposed to show the player the total buffer size IF you install that cyberdeck, but its math formula is incorrect so it is throwing completely false numbers.
By my understanding, the buffer size is the 3rd number since it's supposed to be equal to your quickhack capacity. I've never seen the buffer size go above 8. I think it's bugged now after 2.01 though, because suddenly my buffer size is down to 7 for no reason. Or rather, it's inconsistent. Sometimes it's 7, and sometimes 8

Last edited:
By my understanding, the buffer size is the 3rd number since it's supposed to be equal to your quickhack capacity.
It's the 4th. Proved via pure math in the original post, but here's a simplified visual version which explains the math and even shows that the icons for Access Points are the same;

• First - Cyberware capacity.
  • Second - Extra RAM which is added to V's innately available RAM.
  • Third - Quickhack slots.
  • Fourth - Extra buffer which is added to V's innate buffer size of 4.

It's the 4th. Proved via pure math in the original post, but here's a simplified visual version which explains the math and even shows that the icons for Access Points are the same;

• First - Cyberware capacity.
  • Second - Extra RAM which is added to V's innately available RAM.
  • Third - Quickhack slots.
  • Fourth - Extra buffer which is added to V's innate buffer size of 4.
Oh I understand now. Any idea why I was randomly getting a decreased buffer size, despite the cyberdeck being the same?

Oh I understand now. Any idea why I was randomly getting a decreased buffer size, despite the cyberdeck being the same?
I think some access points or shards have a "defined" buffer (in 1.6 at least, not really played as netrunner in 2.0 yet).
If I remember, the access point in the VDBs church basement, is "limited" to 7 buffer slots, even if you have 8 on your cyberdeck.

I think some access points or shards have a "defined" buffer (in 1.6 at least, not really played as netrunner in 2.0 yet).
If I remember, the access point in the VDBs church basement, is "limited" to 7 buffer slots, even if you have 8 on your cyberdeck.
The one I do remember is the Psychofan gig where you steal the guitar. Any idea if the buffers there are also limited to 7?

The one I do remember is the Psychofan gig where you steal the guitar. Any idea if the buffers there are also limited to 7?
Nope, I don't remember and the last time I played netrunner was at 1.61 release (so no idea). And the access point the VDBs basement was noticed by someone else, even if I played the game a bunch of time before, I never noticed it.
I will play this part in few days, if I don't forget, I'll keep an eye on it :)

Just one example of when the buffer don't match the buffer of your cyberdeck. The Militech shard that Meredith give you. Even if you have the starter Cyberdeck (Militech Paraline) with 4 buffer, you have access to 6 to complete the sequence(s).
Capture d’écran 2023-10-08 à 21.17.32.jpg
On side note (more strange), in my last playthrough with a Sandevistan, I was able to hack some access points with 4 buffers... Not sure why :D

Certain quest access points and shards have a specifically set buffer size because otherwise players who are not specced into Netrunners would not be able to continue quests, so those are not affected by cyberdecks because their sequences are always the same length which the players are meant to surpass for quest purposes.

Top Bottom