Can Cyberpunk 2077 get console Mod Support Skyrim Style?

+
So I have a question. Is CDPR Planning on Copying Bethesda's Style of Mod Support For Xbox And or PS5 users? Tbh I think it would definitely be beneficial to create a system like Bethesda did. Maybe if CDPR is willing to reach out to Bethesda this may work? Would love to see a red post on here about this

I doubt it.

In theory it's possible, but it would be a huge investment for CDPR to try to make it work, and also to pay a lot of money to MS and Sony just to be allowed to do it. I'm not sure that Bethesda would do it again (maybe?). I definitely can't see Sony going along with the idea. Microsoft might. Actually now that Microsoft owns Bethesda, Bethesda might do some console support on future titles. I forgot about that.

With the current state of modding tools available?

Absolutely not.

There are apparently better tools being worked on, unless that has changed, and the logical answer to your question with better tools is - yes, it's entirely possible. Even then though, probably not happening.

Bethesda will keep on doing it, at least on Xbox, because they've seen they can monetize it and they now have a much better access to the ecosystem but I doubt many other companies will attempt it.

Ah I see. Its a Shame that It won't be a realistic thing to hope for. The mods I've seen so far look like they would Improve the game for a bunch of people.

It depends on the mod. Look at Skyrim special edition. They don't allow Third party assets, which is why there are a lot of mods for xbox and PC that you can't get on playstation.
If I remember, there is no "rules" officially. It's all "unofficial" for what it could be "accepted" or "refused" :(
So even with strictly following the basic "rules" provides by Bethesda (community), you're never able to know if a mod will be accepted or not... That's the most annoying.
Bethesda.net Modding Guidelines for Skyrim Special Edition and Fallout 4
Examples of why Mods are removed:
  • Do not upload mods featuring nude or sexually explicit material.
  • Do not upload mods featuring violent acts towards children.
  • Do not upload mods that feature real world religious/political content. Content specific to game content is admissible.
  • Do not upload mods that include hate speech, malicious content, or content that slanders/harasses other members.
  • Do not upload mods that include private information.
Specifics to Sony (don't know about Xbox):
Understanding SONY restrictions on PS4 mods - things to know before you make a request
The SONY block on external assets in free community mods covers:

• New models (so any shape that doesn't already exist in the game files whether that's weapons, armor, body etc)
  • Altered models (to add snap points, to remove part of a model like the arm-piece of Kellogg's armor etc)
  • New color patterns (recolors of existing patterns etc)
  • New .bgsm 'linkage' files to enable high quality material swaps (aka color swaps) linking an item model to an existing color pattern for another item in a way that retains the fine details and shape of the model.
  • New scripts (which run in game either via a pipboy menu, an onscreen toggle, or just in the background and change the way certain parts of the game function)
  • New Precombined Environment data (which is a key component of the game optimization to reduce processor load on weak hardware like consoles)
  • New Long Distance View data
  • New Sound Files
----------------
Why did Bethesda block these?
Bethesda didn't - the reason mods for XB1 are different than those for PS4 is due to the policies and restrictions SONY put in place. Having different rules for different platforms is not in either Bethesda's or Author's benefit and creates more work and cost to maintain.
Why did SONY block these?
SONY has never addressed this publicly. For whatever reason they don't seem to feel that customers who've purchased consoles from them should receive an official explanation.

Last edited:
If I remember, there is no "rules" officially. It's all "unofficial" for what it could be "accepted" or "refused" :(
So even with strictly following the basic "rules" provides by Bethesda (community), you're never able to know if a mod will be accepted or not... That's the most annoying.
There are a handful by playstation though, which is where the conflict lies. Bethesda has no official rules, but the no third party thing is a rule from Playstation. Playstation's rules are part of why there are a lot less mods for their consoles.

There are a handful by playstation though, which is where the conflict lies. Bethesda has no official rules, but the no third party thing is a rule from Playstation. Playstation's rules are part of why there are a lot less mods for their consoles.
I edit my post with my post on another thread :)
The last part (Bethesda/community)
And also "Understanding SONY restrictions" which mean there is nothing official... :(
Why did Bethesda block these?
Bethesda didn't - the reason mods for XB1 are different than those for PS4 is due to the policies and restrictions SONY put in place. Having different rules for different platforms is not in either Bethesda's or Author's benefit and creates more work and cost to maintain.
Why did SONY block these?
SONY has never addressed this publicly. For whatever reason they don't seem to feel that customers who've purchased consoles from them should receive an official explanation.

I edit my post with my post on another thread :)
The last part (Bethesda/community)
And also "Understanding SONY restrictions" which mean there is nothing official... :(
Hmm....the way most people address it makes it seem as if there's an actual rule list. Interesting. Regardless, it is Playstation where the issue lies, and so many mods would be unavailable for 2077, just like Skyrim.

hey cdprojektred are you planning to add mod support for xbox and ps5 ? It would be cool if you did and have it be like how Skyrim and fallout are and on the plus side it would make the game last longer on xbox/ps5 more people would play it and it would fix issues in the game that would pop up because the modding community can make some really cool stuff etc. And playing with mods is so much fun:) but every on the forums what do you think? And i hope you guys at cdprojektred read this and keep up the good work and i can't wait to see what comes out next:)

Just my opinion, it's not gonna happen.
Not because I'm against mods, but there is another thread about that :

Just my opinion, it's not gonna happen.
Not because I'm against mods, but there is another thread about that :

Tldr OP, there's legal reasons as to why it won't happen.

Tldr OP, there's legal reasons as to why it won't happen.
Not really, but I think it's rather "a set of things" that lead to the (very) vast majority of games not supporting console mods. So "officially", no one is against, no one forbidden mods, but... for studios, providing mod support on console is simply not worth it, generally.

Not really, but I think it's rather "a set of things" that lead to the (very) vast majority of games not supporting console mods. So "officially", no one is against, no one forbidden mods, but... for studios, providing mod support on console is simply not worth it, generally.
This is true.
I was a game tester for 9 years, and have seen the process for getting stuff on consoles many times.

The major problem is submission. Sony, Microsoft and even Nintendo have a process called submission. If you want something on the console, you have to submit it. They check that it follows their rules and a few other things, and then either allow it or deny it.

Submission is what complicates mod support on console. Everything, even patches have to go through submission and submissions cost money. It's probably changed, but when I was a tester, one of the leads on a project said that a submission was 20k$ a pop and 10-15k$ for patches/DLC for each console, which is why developers tend to make sure they pass submission.

If you've noticed mod support for Fallout and Skyrim on consoles is very curated and limited. That's because those mods had to go through submission just like everything else does. Someone paid the fee and I doubt it was the mod creators, which is why you have to pay for them on console while more, higher-quality mods are available for free for the PC version (they are also completely separate from any Bethesda control).

Top Bottom