Cant bind dialogue keys in 2.1

+
I posted this in the general discussion, but I figured that it was best to post a technical issue thread too.

In 2.1 dialogues have changed their key binding, and there seems to be no way to fix this in the key bindings menu or even by editing the ini file. I have checked and checked the key bindings menu and all relevant-looking options are set to my preference.

F.png

I know that won't look odd to many people, because "F" is the default, but I had changed it to "Numpad0". Most of my interactions still use "Numpad0", but dialogues do not. "Enter" works as well as "F", but there seems to be no way to configure it for "Numpad0" again.

Most things work - e.g. walking up to a fast travel machine and pressing "Numpad0" will activate it, but in a conversation like the pic, and many other dialogues, "Numpad0" does not work, only "F" and "Enter".

It's ironic really. One of the big attractions of this update was its improved accessibility features and my keybinding preference was made for accessibility reasons.

I just added the damn binding to DialogConfirm in inputUserMappings.xml, their override doesn't work for this part, for whatever reason
(Mouse4 being my primary interaction button for everything in-game)
it still says F, but it will work for custom bind

<mapping name="DialogConfirm" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_F" overridableUI="selectChoice"/>
<button id="IK_Mouse4" />
<button id="IK_Pad_X_SQUARE" />
</mapping>

Awesome. I changed mine to...
Code:
        <button id="IK_Enter" />
        <button id="IK_NumPad0" />
    </mapping>
and that brought back the functionality that I wanted. Like you said, it stills says "F" but my preferred key also works now. I did try to be clever and change the line that says:
Code:
to
Code:
<button id="IK_NumPad0" overridableUI="selectChoice"/>
To see if I could make the dialogues say show the Num0 icon.

However, this made it so that when the game started, the prompts that say "press [space] to continue" (like the breaching prompt) had a blank where the [space] icon should have been and when I hovered my mouse over the game file that I wanted to load, the game flatlined.
So, don't do that. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, here's hoping that this is only a temporary requirement and that CDPR applies a fix, but thank you so much for your help.

Untitled-1.png

I got this to work.

I checked uiInputActions.xml , inputUserMappings.xml and UserSettings.json configs conversely.

In the uiInputActions you'll need to rebind this to whatever you want: (by default this key is F)

Code:
    <action name="proceed_popup" onPress="1" onRelease="1" >
        <key id="IK_E"/>

Next I ensured all of my bindings that corresponded to the E key are not double bound inside of the inputUserMappings.xml
Instead of adding a secondary override key I simply changed "IK_F" here to "IK_E". This did cause crashes until I removed all "IK_F" inputs in the whole config to be "IK_E" inputs and then removed any extra "IK_E" controls that show below the mapping names

Code:
        <button id="IK_E" overridableUI="selectChoice"/>
        <button id="IK_E" />   <----- DELETE secondary overrides like this row I added
    </mapping>

Inside of UserSettings.json I changed this to my choice key (both the default and the variant options.

Code:
                {
                    "name": "selectChoice",
                    "type": "name",
                    "value": "IK_E",
                    "default_value": "IK_E"
                }

Once I had ensured there was no further conflicts ( no overridableUI="selectChoice" being bound to another key of the same), then I was able to get the "SPACEBAR" symbol to re-appear at the game's pre-menue screens and then the "E" prompt displays now proplerly in dialogue.

So there is a way to fix this and replace the visual prompt after all, it just takes some really careful editing and a bit of trial and error.

Last edited:
View attachment 11377543
I got this to work.

I checked uiInputActions.xml , inputUserMappings.xml and UserSettings.json configs conversely.

In the uiInputActions you'll need to rebind this to whatever you want: (by default this key is F)

Code:
    <action name="proceed_popup" onPress="1" onRelease="1" >
        <key id="IK_E"/>

Next I ensured all of my bindings that corresponded to the E key are not double bound inside of the inputUserMappings.xml
Instead of adding a secondary override key I simply changed "IK_F" here to "IK_E". This did cause crashes until I removed all "IK_F" inputs in the whole config to be "IK_E" inputs and then removed any extra "IK_E" controls that show below the mapping names

Code:
        <button id="IK_E" overridableUI="selectChoice"/>
        <button id="IK_E" />   <----- DELETE secondary overrides like this row I added
    </mapping>

Inside of UserSettings.json I changed this to my choice key (both the default and the variant options.

Code:
                {
                    "name": "selectChoice",
                    "type": "name",
                    "value": "IK_E",
                    "default_value": "IK_E"
                }

Once I had ensured there was no further conflicts ( no overridableUI="selectChoice" being bound to another key of the same), then I was able to get the "SPACEBAR" symbol to re-appear at the game's pre-menue screens and then the "E" prompt displays now proplerly in dialogue.

So there is a way to fix this and replace the visual prompt after all, it just takes some really careful editing and a bit of trial and error.
or what also works is using configs from 2.02, with visual prompts and everything ok

I just added the damn binding to DialogConfirm in inputUserMappings.xml, their override doesn't work for this part, for whatever reason
(Mouse4 being my primary interaction button for everything in-game)
it still says F, but it will work for custom bind

<button id="IK_Mouse4" />
</mapping>
Thanks for this - not sure why CDPR would make such a change? Was it for some specific reason like standardizing certain keys for both console and PC, or just an oversight?
Even then, both PC and console (especially console with a controller's limited options) would surely benefit most from the same interact button for general world gameplay and dialogue?
Hopefully they read these forums and either explain why they did this/their reasoning, or provide a small patch to address.

Top Bottom