Cards to receive buffs - name and explain 4 and pass to the next person

+
Here's an initial 4 from me:

1. Zoltan Warrior - his first option plays for 2 less than his prov value which seems very low by current standards, and his second option that buffs dwarfs is also in direct conflict with Munro Bruys' action to transform them... crazy. In many ways he is just a poor man's equivalent of Vernossiel. I'd like to see a prov buff or a value buff to get him more comparable to others, plus see his secondary option reworked unless it is made easier to get Rowdy Dwarfs on board.

2. Munro Bruys - also underwhelming because of the poor interaction with Zoltan, the tricky setup requirement, and the fact Berserkers are slow to gain value, making him hopeless in a short round. Maybe just make it transform any two dwarfs, or rework it completely.

3. Enraged Ifrit - 4 for 10 and deal 4 damage. This card is cool, but it has been well and truly made obsolete by similarly designed Betsy and Regis Bloodlust versions.

4. The Witcher trio. Each of these are 2 for 8 (or 3 for 8 with Vesemir). Wow, 6 power for 28 prov - how crap are these guys now! Yes, they do thin your deck, but look at the comparative options which are 3 for 5. These guys are AAA Witcher characters, yet they are so far off the mark now. Options for an interesting rework is high!

Next...

Great idea. Really appreciate your rework suggestions.

1) Zoltan warrior: Rework maybe deploy 3 dwarfes on melee
2) Munro Bruys: Wouldn´t rework him totally but maybe decrease provisions to 11.
3) Enraged Ifrit: Milaen costs 9 provisions and has on melee the same ability and a same value ability on range + valuable elf tag. Construct tag does not add any value. So I would cut his provisions to 8.
4) Witcher trio: with decoy it can get a 4 for 8. So 12 for 28 provisions + deck thinning. To my mind the whole witcher pack should be reworked so that you can build a competitive witcher deck maybe even with own neutral witcher leader. Current witcher decks are not competitive. As a short fix provisions should maybe reduced to 7.

My suggestions (To my mind probably some neutrals definitely deserve a buff).

1) Oldest Bear (neutral, 6 provisions, 6 strength): Absolutely underpowered taking into account that there are 4 provisions for 7 safe value after MM expansion.
Would reduce to 4 provisions. Maybe it than can have some use for alchemy beasts for instance.

2) Peasant Militia (neutral, 4 provisions, 2 strength, deploy: boost an allied unit by 2). A 4 for 4 is also totaly worthless.
Would adjust to: If the allied unit is a human boost by 4. So it gets a conditional 6 for 4 with protection mechanism.

3) Wolf Pack (neutral, 4 provisions, 2 strength, deploy: damage an opponent unit by 2).
Would adjust to: Bonded damage an opponent unit by 5. So it gets a 11 for 8 in case of both units are played + removal potential + beast tag

4) Oxenfurt scholar (neutral, 4 provisions, 3 power, 2 vitality). In best cases it´s a 5 for 4 (If hamadryade targeted would be 7 for 4. But never saw an Oxenfurt scholar boosting a hamadryade)
Would adjust to: Increase vitality boost by one for each other allied Oxenfurt unit (Oxenfurt naturalist, Oxenfurt scientist) -> In best cases he could get a 8 for 4.
Assuming you play all 4 Oxenfurtians in one round. It would cost 18 provision and add following value (assuming all vitality triggers and all coins spent): 5 + 5 (each from naturalist) + 7 (from first scholar played after the 2 naturalists) + 8 (from 2nd scholar). Basically in best cases it would be 25 for 18. Of course this only is valid, if the turn is at least 7 rounds and no vitalised unit is killed.

Last edited:
I think dwarves are a very good place for this.

Zoltan Warrior: Doesn't need a rework, but should not be 12p. 11 at most.
Munro: DOES need a rework: either transform two dwarves into berserkers, or leave the rowdies only but make him a bigger berserker as well, by giving him a ping of random damage every turn. If neither of those things are done, he's not worth more than 10p.
Zoltan's company: should be a freaking 4p bronze, obviously, NOT a 6p gold. Make it conditional, like the IDENTICAL ravens and firesworn cards. "If there's a dwarf on the board," etc. This will make both, Zoltan and Munro actually viable.
Dwarven Chariot: Should be 4p.
Yarpen: Lower the body to 4 and increase removal to 4.

I'm a bit in a hurry but I have 3:

Calaeno Harpy: make it 4 provision. it's straight worse than barghest but could have some role at 4 provisions in that it doesnt play into rowstacking as much as endrega warrior.

Barbegazi: make it 5 porivision. it's a greedy and proactive barghest but currently not worth 6 provisions and thus never played. maybe make it 5 strength 1 armor to compensate, would make it suck against SK though.

colossal ifrit: make it deploy: damage all units on an enemy row by 1. order: damage all units on an enemy row by 1. the 3 turn CD on a 4 point body are super bad. that way it could be a greedy lacerate.

honestly I dont know how these changes havent been implemented yet, playing monsters it is more than obvious how outdated those consume options are.

might add more later/tomorrow :ok:

edit:
1) Oldest Bear (neutral, 6 provisions, 6 strength): Absolutely underpowered taking into account that there are 4 provisions for 7 safe value after MM expansion.
Would reduce to 4 provisions. Maybe it than can have some use for alchemy beasts for instance.

2) Peasant Militia (neutral, 4 provisions, 2 strength, deploy: boost an allied unit by 2). A 4 for 4 is also totaly worthless.
Would adjust to: If the allied unit is a human boost by 4. So it gets a conditional 6 for 4 with protection mechanism.

3) Wolf Pack (neutral, 4 provisions, 2 strength, deploy: damage an opponent unit by 2).
Would adjust to: Bonded damage an opponent unit by 5. So it gets a 11 for 8 in case of both units are played + removal potential + beast tag
bear change would make it a better noonwraith, so idk. certainly needs a buff though. maybe 5p and shield or something.

I would make wolf pack just be the first neutral thrive. I think thematically it makes a lot of sense since wolves are more aggressive in a larger pack.

Last edited:
Good thread, it does really feel like many cards in the game exist solely as filler content lol, something to just be there so it adds to numbers but actually it has no purpose other then to look at the art, read the lore description and then to mill it.

bear change would make it a better noonwraith, so idk. certainly needs a buff though. maybe 5p and shield or something.

I would make wolf pack just be the first neutral thrive. I think thematically it makes a lot of sense since wolves are more aggressive in a larger pack.

Usually people play Noonwraith if they can do something with those rats (spam enemies board + Jotunn, eat with Glustysworp). I think a 4 for 6 would be ok. Alternatively a 4 for 5 (plus veil or shield)

I do not like the idea to give faction specific abilities to Neutral as this could cause that fractions loose their identity. To my mind bonded also really fits to wolves.

Usually people play Noonwraith if they can do something with those rats (spam enemies board + Jotunn, eat with Glustysworp). I think a 4 for 6 would be ok. Alternatively a 4 for 5 (plus veil or shield)

I do not like the idea to give faction specific abilities to Neutral as this could cause that fractions loose their identity. To my mind bonded also really fits to wolves.
you're right, bonded is also quite fitting. but 5 damage on a 4p neutral is waaay too strong, I dont think it is hard to see why. I would rather see it as a 2 power deploy: spawn a copy in this row, bonded: spawn 2 copies in this row or something. that way it could help the poorly fletched out beast archetype for monsters or SK beasts.

noonwraith is also played as a thrive trigger, or just a 4provision tempo card that is now mostly replaced by aen elle conqueror. neutrals are such a problematic thing in gwent, they make them suck so they dont become universally good, but then again why do they even exist? we have a 5 for 5 with veil in scout and unsurprisingly Ive never seen it played at all.

you're right, bonded is also quite fitting. but 5 damage on a 4p neutral is waaay too strong, I dont think it is hard to see why. I would rather see it as a 2 power deploy: spawn a copy in this row, bonded: spawn 2 copies in this row or something. that way it could help the poorly fletched out beast archetype for monsters or SK beasts.

noonwraith is also played as a thrive trigger, or just a 4provision tempo card that is now mostly replaced by aen elle conqueror. neutrals are such a problematic thing in gwent, they make them suck so they dont become universally good, but then again why do they even exist? we have a 5 for 5 with veil in scout and unsurprisingly Ive never seen it played at all.

Maybe: Bonded damage one enemy unit by 2 and an random unit next to it by 3 (In total this would cost 8 provisions and give a value of 11; two An Aelle cost 8 and give 14 for instance)

Yes, some neutral really need this kind of rework and that scout also should be reworked.

Caravan Guard - Why the hell is this 6 provisions (5 prov would make more sense...)? :p I only noticed it because of the latest journey quest to play 7 units with "bonded" function.
Also Mahakam Horn (8 provision) is kinda expensive for the 8 points it can provide, I know it's a cool ambush ability but still, 7P would be more reasonable I think...

Caravan Guard - Why the hell is this 6 provisions (5 prov would make more sense...)? :p

Car Guards were core to Draug, the second strongest deck before MM. It was 9 for 6 (first time with Adalia and then with bonded, Adalia was nerfed from that).and swarms 2 bodies. Was a really good card.

Chironex and Unicorn: either give them a 5 point body or make them 7p. they may have been too good in the past but even in their original state they would have been heavily powercrept at this point. a shame to never see such cool arts in the game. currently they play for 7 for 8 and the second for 10 for 8. total 17 for 16, should you draw both and the first stick. rly bad.
same goes for Etriel/Muirlega imo. even those two are much better, they arent played since their nerf, because with a 4 point body they are very unlikely to stick to even benefit from their "bonded" bonus. they were really only nerfed because they were too good in harmony.

Vivienne Oriole: change completely. another wasted nice artwork that NEVER sees play, even with scenarios being popular due to its very high risk of being a 1 for 10 and even if it works, being a very tall unit early in the game waiting to be removed. I could see some knight synergy maybe?

Iris van Everec: the card is okay-ish but I wonder why cdpr didnt give her some interaction with the doomed tag, like melee: give a unit doomed, ranged: destroy a doomed unit or even something more interesting. she is after all a core figure in the hearts of stone storyline, which the MM expansion is about.

Runeword: the 4p NR give shield and vitality 4 to a unit. it has synergy with tridam infantry but is still never played because it is way too slow. might be playable if it gave initial boost like give shield, boost by 2, give 2 or 3 vitality.

And I completely agree with the OP. Last night I tried out a Dwarf deck and it's just plainly weaker then standard decks. Also I see other people sometimes try out a Dwarf deck vs me but it never really works out, though I respect their effort. :p

Mandrake- 8p reset lol... spores for twice the cost

Dryad Grovekeeper- redundant with and worse than Dryad Enchantress

Dwarven Chariot- the weakest link for rowdy dwarf synergy

Class specific locks besides NG- any other class pays 7 for a lock on a stick while Van Moorlehem costs 4, has the option to bleed, and synergizes with ball... uh, what?

Shout out to 75% of cards between 5 and 8 provisions. Why play these mid-range cards when you can polarize your deck and not be punished because most 4p cards are overtuned?

Last edited:
Mandrake- 8p reset lol... spores for twice the cost
Do you know that you can completely Reset a Unit with Mandrake? (refresh Order)

A small example with a double Syanna!

Top Bottom