CD projekt stops developing multiplayer features for RED Engine moving to UE5.

+
The way that is written seems to indicate no multiplayer with Redengine, if I understood correctly.
Yea this, since its a abandoned engine after cp2077 it doesnt make sense too develop MP too it for just this. UE5 already has some MP functionality so it will be easier. Also since they have been bleeding talent (seems over 60% of people who worked on witcher 3 has left, UE5 is a smart choice since even new talent should be familiar with it)

Also since they have been bleeding talent (seems over 60% of people who worked on witcher 3 has left, UE5 is a smart choice since even new talent should be familiar with it)
I'm not sure about the videogame industry, but 10% attrition rate per year is quite normal in tech industry-you can only have X Quest Leads,or game directors at a given company size.. so people who want a higher position, search for another job).
I don´t think that this is the driving decision to switch engines, I guess is purely economical: we spend x millions to update from TW3 to CP2077 and by the time we make TW4 its already obsolete and we need to put x millions more and again we will be designing with and uncomplete engine that creates delays, bugs and optimization problems... unless you put a big team that goes 1 game ahead of your production team (so your production team is working with a stable release) this is always very troublesome.
With UE I think that they have the further benefit of easy cross-platform porting (easier than with RedEngine).

I'm not sure about the videogame industry, but 10% attrition rate per year is quite normal in tech industry-you can only have X Quest Leads,or game directors at a given company size.. so people who want a higher position, search for another job).
I don´t think that this is the driving decision to switch engines, I guess is purely economical: we spend x millions to update from TW3 to CP2077 and by the time we make TW4 its already obsolete and we need to put x millions more and again we will be designing with and uncomplete engine that creates delays, bugs and optimization problems... unless you put a big team that goes 1 game ahead of your production team (so your production team is working with a stable release) this is always very troublesome.
With UE I think that they have the further benefit of easy cross-platform porting (easier than with RedEngine).
I think thats part of it too ofc. But having a standard engine that people can learn before even starting at your company is a big bonus. And if your gonna bleed people its a good way of making it easier too swap out people. RED is apperantly quite hard too work with especially nowdays when people use more "modern" ways of making games. Own made is pretty custom solutions that can be hard too get good at fast, especially if youre fairly new at game development.

I think it is just a good business decision on their behalf. They never worked on multiplayer with REDengine before and moving forward they are going to be locked into UE5 (and future versions of UE). Why waste all of that time figuring out multiplayer with something you are never going to use again? It seems like it would be a big undertaking and given that the game is already out I think the result would more likely be Fallout 76 than GTA5 Online. It's not something they really have a significant amount of time to work on any longer.

Odds are they pump out some paid expansions for CP2077 because this is something they know how to do and have done with unrivaled success in the past (Hearts of Stone/Blood and Wine). Then as they develop The Witcher 4 and Cyberpunk 2 side-by-side down the line the teams can share info and make it easier on one another when it comes to implementing things like multiplayer or other features.

First they decide to develop multiplayer without even having any experience with it or the basic features of SP game, then they switch from standalone to co-op ( presumably), then finally they decide to go with completely different engine and scrap it completely.
[...]
With this kind of directionless waste of time and resources, it's no surprise that even some player-made mods can deliver more cohesive, rich, interesting video game experience than many "AAA" blockbusters ( involving thousands of people and hundreds of millions $)

Last edited by a moderator:
First they decide to develop multiplayer without even having any experience with it or the basic features of SP game, then they switch from standalone to co-op ( presumably), then finally they decide to go with completely different engine and scrap it completely.
[...]
With this kind of directionless waste of time and resources, it's no surprise that even some player-made mods can deliver more cohesive, rich, interesting video game experience than many "AAA" blockbusters ( involving thousands of people and hundreds of millions $)
[...]

A standalone multiplayer game was cancelled. CDP then said they would look to add multiplayer elements to the games in their *franchises* at some point *in the future*. Cyberpunk 2077, the game, is not the same as Cyberpunk 2077, the franchise. Their business strategy has been to move away from being a single franchise studio to running several franchises at once. That was never a secret.

Were they looking to add multiplayer into Cyberpunk 2077, the single player game that released late in 2020? Maybe. But as far as I'm aware they never actually publicly said that. Trashy clickbait sites said they said that.

DC9V

Forum veteran
[...]

A standalone multiplayer game was cancelled. CDP then said they would look to add multiplayer elements to the games in their *franchises* at some point *in the future*. Cyberpunk 2077, the game, is not the same as Cyberpunk 2077, the franchise. Their business strategy has been to move away from being a single franchise studio to running several franchises at once. That was never a secret.

Were they looking to add multiplayer into Cyberpunk 2077, the single player game that released late in 2020? Maybe. But as far as I'm aware they never actually publicly said that. Trashy clickbait sites said they said that.
Of course they have been thinking about adding multiplayer elements to CP2077, at some point during the entire development. Because thinking out of the box is what you usually do, no matter what kind of stuff you're developing. You want to create space for as many possibilities as possible, regardless of physical limitations like disk bandwidth on old gen consoles. Rudiments of creative processes often seem to appear as "cut content", but it's a misinterpretation. Discovering limitations is good. it makes you look beyond the horizon, and it creates new chances for progress.

Whether they're going to have MP in the current version of Cyberpunk or not, my question is: How difficult will it be to transfer all Night City assets from Red Engine into UE5?

Yea this, since its a abandoned engine after cp2077 it doesnt make sense too develop MP too it for just this. UE5 already has some MP functionality so it will be easier. Also since they have been bleeding talent (seems over 60% of people who worked on witcher 3 has left, UE5 is a smart choice since even new talent should be familiar with it)

So, let's say there is expansion 2? What happens then?

Whether they're going to have MP in the current version of Cyberpunk or not, my question is: How difficult will it be to transfer all Night City assets from Red Engine into UE5?
Impossible. UE can not read REDengine's Entity (actor) template files which are the most important things. Every NPC, Every interactable object (Cars, Beds, Loots) and etc. is an Entity template. They can develop Entity template editor for UE5 that can read REDengine's templates but it will be a time consuming process. If by "assets" you mean, meshes and textures, then yes. They can be imported very easily.

So, let's say there is expansion 2? What happens then?
Since the engine is there i kinda find it weird if theres not a second expansion. when CDPR stops development of CP2077 the engine will probably be abandoned. If theres 2 or 4 expansions matters very little. Looking at the sales figures im not sure they will make 1 or 2 expansions. Could be that they make 1 very large one or like in witcher 3 1 smaller and 1 bigger. Could also be why they choose too wait for 2023 for a expansion so they can make it really huge and then move on. According to there investors call MP in RED is abandoned atleast.

[...]

I was always under the impression that their plan for a multiplayer component, to the extent that they had any such plan, was more of a spin off, than it was an addition to the CP2077 game itself. Reuse the graphical assets as much as they can, but different characters, maybe different play style, et cetera. More like tossing around some ideas about how they might expand the use of the IP if things work out well for the game.

Top Bottom