DLSS (& DLAA) antialiasing doesn't properly apply, causing aliasing issues that were not here before

+
EDIT2: I have now tested the patch 1.62 in the exact same place (Rayfield, Street Kid prologue) and it exhibits the exact same behavior. I will go deeper back in time to test and compare older versions, but I need to download more versions of the game which will take time.

EDIT: it was brought to my attention, or rather suggested, that perhaps it is my generation of graphics cards that is affected rather than all Nvidia RTX GPUs. For this reason I am attaching a DXDiag file's contents. My GPU in question is 2080ti.

I am pretty sure DLSS is broken in Cyberpunk 2077's latest (1.63) version in the sense that antialiasing is no longer fully functional.

Hopefully you can fix these antialiasing issues for 2.0 update later this year. Easy to spot if you find a place with a few supposedly straight edges then tilt camera in such a way to expose aliasing and compare TAA to DLAA.

Because we're talking about antialiasing, a screenshot wouldn't convey the problem properly.

I have uploaded a video to showcase the severity of the problem.
I start at DLSS Performance to prove a point.
I then switch to DLAA which is NATIVE RESOLUTION.
Finally, I turn off DLSS and DLAA, leaving only native resolution forced TAA active.

Please pay attention to some of the outlines on the car that heavily alias due to camera sway, and how it's extremely noticeable with DLAA even though this is an imperfect recording, while with TAA it's much calmer and barely there.

My A/B/C testing goes from DLSS Performance to DLAA to native resolution TAA and the incredible difference in favor of TAA makes it clear that DLAA/DLSS antialiasing component is somehow broken as of patch 1.63.

How is it that DLAA has so much worse aliasing than TAA when both are native resolution? Conclusion I draw is that something's broken with the antialiasing aspect of DLSS/DLAA.

Basically, if DLAA's antialiasing is so much worse than default forced TAA, then there's absolutely zero reason for anyone to use DLAA or for DLAA to even exist. This is clearly a broken setting as of right now. Furthermore, DLSS becomes unusable because it shares this antialiasing issue and exacerbates it with its lower baseline internal resolution.

---

Native resolution TAA versus native resolution DLAA should at worst be comparable, and DEFINITELY not be a clear win for TAA.

DLAA at this point is a function of DLSS, which of course means that all DLSS settings suffer increasingly from this problem as you go down its quality settings.
If even DLAA has extreme aliasing, then DLSS stands no chance. Shouldn't be like this at all and it wasn't like this before!

it is best for someone of interest from your (CDPR) team to fire up the game yourself on an RTX GPU.

Now, the testing methodology:

I am attaching my savegame - the garage where Rayfield car is during Street Kid prologue as seen on my video.

Here's a manual save that you can use for your testing:

Unzip the file and place ManualSave-502 folder within the following directory:

C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077

Hold the camera steady and let it calmly sway in the same position while looking at Rayfield, then open menu (Escape) and swap&show settings accordingly, then close the menu. Rinse and repeat.

I personally can reproduce this issue in various testing places all around Night City, though.
Find a place with relatively straight lines, such as outlines of buildings or other objects like the Rayfield car in Street Kid prologue from my video.
Then, stand somewhere, look at the lines and tilt or swivel the player camera in such a way that the lines will be irregular against your point of view. With character's delicate sway, this will expose aliasing on these straight lines.

A) Try turning off DLSS and turning off DLAA. Use simple forced TAA available by default if no other upscaling/antialiasing method is active. This is native resolution, keep that in mind.

The lines will be slightly aliased, but it's not going to be that bad.

B) Try turning on DLAA, which is also native resolution and should by all means produce AT LEAST equally as good antialiasing as the native TAA - and possibly superior antialiasing.

The lines will be aliased more than native resolution forced TAA. This is unacceptable, DLAA shouldn't look worse than native TAA.

---

These aliasing issues carry over across the entire DLSS settings stack, but I chose DLAA as the comparison point because when it's active, the internal resolution of the game is native resolution just like the default TAA experience, and this exposes the issue that much more clearly.

[Files removed -- SigilFey]

Last edited:
I think it is nowhere said that DLAA has better quality than TAA. But you have better performance with DLAA (more FPS)

I think it is nowhere said that DLAA has better quality than TAA. But you have better performance with DLAA (more FPS)

You have confused DLAA with DLSS.

DLAA - deep learning antialiasing - is native resolution with a slight overhead from the machine learning inference. It's by all definitions not going to have as good performance as TAA, but the performance loss is very minimal.
Anyhow, it operates at native resolution, just like native resolution TAA, and should by all means have at least as good antialiasing if not way better thanks to the inference it does.

I have uploaded a video to showcase the severity of the problem and updated my original post above to describe the issue further.

Please pay attention to some of the outlines on the car that heavily alias due to camera sway, and how it's extremely noticeable with DLAA even though this is an imperfect recording, while with TAA it's much calmer and barely there.

Last edited:
Sorry, all! Just a reminder that we do not allow direct downloads to be included in posts. If you want to share files, please use a file hosting site like Pastebin, then share the link in your posts.

Sorry, all! Just a reminder that we do not allow direct downloads to be included in posts. If you want to share files, please use a file hosting site like Pastebin, then share the link in your posts.

I was tricked by the "attach files" button, I apologize for leveraging that for direct file download.

I will provide links instead, that's no big deal.

I noticed that 1.63 brough more blurriness while in motion with DLSS enabled. Previous versions were much sharper. And yes on top of that I noticed a few edges that stick out now (has worse antialising) comparing to before. I forced to play with DLDSR 1.78x now to get some of the sharpness back while in motion which is not ideal because of the big performance hit.

Top Bottom