Constant crashing, please help

+
Hi there,

I have a 7800X3D, and a 4090 with 32GB of RAM, and my game is constantly crashing, and it's been happening for a while. I have the game installed on an NVME drive, and I've tried everything.

I've run RAM and drive diagnostics (via cmd). Tried to repair. and done a fresh Windows install, as well as rolled back drivers.
I've tried a combination of new drivers and old drivers with the old and new install of the OS.
I've deleted save files to bring the save directory under 100mb (down from 550mb), disabled cross platform saves, everything.

I've even tried to modify registry and still no luck, I keep crashing on auto save.

Is there anyone here who can help for the life of me, I can't figure this out. I've been troubleshooting for weeks with no luck.

I'm going insane, the only thing that's left is for me to RMA my 4090 but after testing it extensively, it seems fine. The VRAM tested OK, it operates well under load with other games, I've stress tested my CPU and GPU, but even on Low settings CP just crashes, and I've tried everything.

Any suggestions please?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say you're quite at the RMA stage yet.

You go into a decent amount of details about what you've tried to fix the issue but you left out all the details about the issue itself. Constant crash isn't much for us to propose any kind of half decent possible solutions.

10 minutes in? Hours? Is it only on autosave? If so, one possible solution that's really not ideal is turning off autosave. Really not ideal and definitely not something you should have to do but it is an alternative while looking for a possible solution that does not involve removing autosave.

Those crashes are typically accompanied by a crash log. What does yours say**? Any error message to go on from?

What kind of crash are we speaking of here? Game hard locks? Simply shuts off? BSOD?

You indicated you re-installed your OS but how far did you go? Did you simply re-install the OS or nuked your entire PC and started from scratch?

Is your game modded? If not, are the saves you are loading from ever had mods installed? And I do mean ever.

Overlays have been known to cause crashes with CP2077. If you have any, close them if possible.

Overclocking has been known to cause cause crashes. If you're OC'ed, even if it's a manufacturer's OC, try default values for your GPU. There was a lot of problem with this since release.

People have had luck fixing their crashing issues when re-installing their C++ redist. I don't see you mentioning that, if you haven't already, try it.

If you can think of anything else that may help us help you, go right ahead.

**Do note that sometimes nothing is generated and you just get booted.

EDIT:

And if you haven't already, try filing a ticket with CDPR's support, the technical forum is entirely community ran. They may have an answer for you before any of us do.

Turning off cross platform saves doesn't help.

I tried disabling autosave an it doesn't help.

I've never modded the game. I always just play it "vanilla".

The issue is that after about 5-10mins it crashes. I don't get any crash log. The game just crashes and asks me to send a report.

I can copy in the event viewer log, but I feel like it wouldn't be practical. It basically says the launcher faulted, and every time it's a different faulting process.

As far as reinstalling goes, I didn't nuke the whole PC. My OS and most games are on my NVME drive and I use the optical drive for my data storage. My game is not modded and has never been and while the C++ redist is an issue that can be considered, it is one that can be omitted with a fresh install.

The issue is that basically after 5-10 minutes of gameplay, the game just crashes, and event viewer is just showing redlauncher as the faulting process, with no further information,

Last edited:
Have you tried a clean install? If not, try it.

I assume you did a file integrity check on the game already and this might seem like it's redundant but it really isn't. I've fixed my own issues with the game a number of times with a clean install even after file integrity checks.

Out of curiosity, is the issue also present on new games? If you haven't tried on a completely new save, do give it a try.

If you tried disabling autosaves completely and it still happens, it's clearly not on autosaves that this happens.

The only thing I could find beyond that, and if you've been searching for 3 weeks I assume you already found this, is this thread:

This points to again your C++ redist. I get that you did a fresh install but it's worth the 5 extra minutes. Or this:

Uninstall redlauncher and reinstall from the program cyberpunk files. (program settings, local files, and the game file folder which contains the RedLauncher install/container

Again, pretty sure you already stumbled upon this thread if I found it in 5 minutes but I'm putting it here just in case.

Also some in that thread said that disabling the Nvidia overlay solved it for them. You didn't say anything about your overlays. I don't know if you did turn them off already. I really meant it when I said it's been known to cause issues with CP2077.

Copy/paste this code in Cyberpunk's Launch options.

--launcher-skip

Steam will skip the launcher and start the game immediately. in addition, in the crash report's att, click the .exe file and see what it says.

Are you playing the game on Windows 11?

Last edited:
I haven't tried all the steps to a clean reinstall, as posted above, or the C++ redist, but adding the --launcher-skip to the exe seems to have worked. I'm sure there is an underlying issue which needs resolving, but this is working for now.

Here's hoping the new patch resolves it, but in any case, I'm thankful for your suggestion Bartinga, it's been almost two hours with no crash. I can't thank you enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom