Crashes/Freezes/Shutdowns - how can I find out the issue?

+
How long does it take for you to crash now? Is it immediate or do you have enough time to access the event viewer to see if there is any critical failure happening?

The nvlddmkm failure you had earlier can be a few things but from experience it's usually GPU or RAM related.

If you can't get anywhere, can you try removing your GPU entirely and starting your PC? Your on-board GPU should take over. See if things go smoothly from there.

You are getting really close to a point where I'd just recommend RMA'ing the whole thing though.

It comes quite fast now, between 2 minutes and 10 minutes while just doing stuff on desktop or browsing in the web..

Its a new failure now, after analyzing the dumpfile its Intelppm.sys

There were, but's it's no issue. At the moment I'm only using it to monitor the package temperature.

Concerning Cyberpunk, it only reaches 100 °C for a brief moment during startup. Then it goes back to some 80 °C. The Utility can seemingly auto-throttle back a core that reaches a pre-set temperature. Need more feedback on that to best utilize it.

The thing with Cyberpunk, it's FPS limiter seemingly doesn't work or is inconsistent. It's set to 30 FPS, but the GPU generates a hell of a lot more. It's always been like that.
Yeah, I really loved the Maximus XII Extreme BIOS. All the stuff like temp limits and clock behaviors were possible to set in it. Though, I mostly used BIOS to get the maximum out of my four sticks of really fast DDR4 sticks. Stability is an issue when it's four instead of two sticks, so that probably earned me some skills that I won't be using ever again, since it's a lesson learned... "Just get two sticks each 16/32 GB, Martine. Don't make it an absolute pita on yourself.." The DDR5 release is a good excuse to go again for an expensive RAM kit.

It comes quite fast now, between 2 minutes and 10 minutes while just doing stuff on desktop or browsing in the web..

Its a new failure now, after analyzing the dumpfile its Intelppm.sys
Seems pretty obvious both your processor and graphics card are broken. But, all the more easier to have them replaced for new ones now that you rig also crashes outside gaming.

Seems pretty obvious both your processor and graphics card are broken. But, all the more easier to have them replaced for new ones now that you rig also crashes outside gaming.

how can both be broken after just 3 month using it.. and why did they pass any benchmark that i did some days ago, am i that unlucky? :(

also i made some pictures of the PC, i doubt it will help but it also won't hurt

how can both be broken after just 3 month using it.. and why did they pass any benchmark that i did some days ago, am i that unlucky? :(

also i made some pictures of the PC, i doubt it will help but it also won't hurt

Yeah, no, @Bartinga2077 is drawing conclusions rather quickly.

That's not to say that's not the issue. It's also possible that only one component was faulty and the numerous crashes and error created other issues.

With that said, failure rates for hardware are excessively low these days and the chances of both being faulty is close to none, you would have to be very unlucky. There is also the possibility of a faulty motherboard leading to all of these issues.

I was still leaning towards your GPU but your newest crash pushes me more towards faulty RAM.

Can you paste the crash dump here?

When you were running your stress tests on CPU and GPU, I saw you ran an AIDA64 for your RAM and cache but MemTest86+ is the go-to tools for testing RAM. Unfortunately, it also requires a USB drive to run but if you have one on hand, it will test your RAM and report any issue. Prime95 is for your CPU but it also offers the option for RAM stability testing.

Alternatively, I'm going back to my previous post here. You can remove your GPU, try to start and see what happens. If it still happens you can try removing one of your stick of RAM and booting up again. If it crashes again, switch to the other stick. If one of them is faulty you will know right there and then. Your CPU and motherboard are pretty much the only two you can't play around with and, personally, I highly doubt it's your PSU.

Yeah, no, @Bartinga2077 is drawing conclusions rather quickly.

That's not to say that's not the issue. It's also possible that only one component was faulty and the numerous crashes and error created other issues.

With that said, failure rates for hardware are excessively low these days and the chances of both being faulty is close to none, you would have to be very unlucky. There is also the possibility of a faulty motherboard leading to all of these issues.

I was still leaning towards your GPU but your newest crash pushes me more towards faulty RAM.

Can you paste the crash dump here?

When you were running your stress tests on CPU and GPU, I saw you ran an AIDA64 for your RAM and cache but MemTest86+ is the go-to tools for testing RAM. Unfortunately, it also requires a USB drive to run but if you have one on hand, it will test your RAM and report any issue. Prime95 is for your CPU but it also offers the option for RAM stability testing.

Alternatively, I'm going back to my previous post here. You can remove your GPU, try to start and see what happens. If it still happens you can try removing one of your stick of RAM and booting up again. If it crashes again, switch to the other stick. If one of them is faulty you will know right there and then. Your CPU and motherboard are pretty much the only two you can't play around with and, personally, I highly doubt it's your PSU.

I will do that tomorrow, i already moved my computer away for shipping but i guess i will do your steps, if its not the GPU then i don't need to send the GPU back to the vendor, and if its the RAM then its easy to change.. i really hope its a RAM issue

I also did a Memory stresstest a week ago with OCCT, but that was before the newest crashes.

But do I even have a onboard GPU? i head if i have a KF CPU which i have then there is no onboard GPU

and thanks guys for taking your time to help! :giggle:

Last edited:
how can both be broken after just 3 month using it.. and why did they pass any benchmark that i did some days ago, am i that unlucky?
I can only answer that based on my own experience, and that is my GPU got faulty 3 times within 5 month. The third time, also the processor got faulty. They installed new ones every time.

I've been trying to get into contact with Intel's customer service, to ask them what exactly the "Unhandled exception" entails, but it's like they're not even situated on this planet. And Microsoft is not much better. Needless to say, either of them can accurately answer your question.

Last edited:
But do I even have a onboard GPU? i head if i have a KF CPU which i have then there is no onboard GPU

You are correct, my apologies!

I completely forgot you have a KF CPU and your motherboard's display port won't work. My mistake.

Still, try the RAM sticks. If only one of them is faulty it will be apparent quickly.

I completely forgot you have a KF CPU and your motherboard's display port won't work. My mistake.

Still, try the RAM sticks. If only one of them is faulty it will be apparent quickly.

I have a spare 1080 Ti , i could just swap that one in to check if its GPU failure

"Does the 13900KF have integrated graphics?"

"The Core i9-13900KF also supports PCI Express 5.0 and dual-channel DDR5 memory at 5600 MHz. The Core i9-13900KF does not include integrated graphics, meaning that users will need to purchase a separate dedicated graphics card."

i tried prime95 just now, 24 workers for around 12 minutes stresstest, 0 errors and 0 warnings

will reboot now to try memtest86, made a USB for it

For GPU swap i need to figure out which cable i can use for a 1080, i doubt i can use the same as for the 4090 which is a 12VHPWR cable

edit:

just finished this 2 hour memtest86

Post automatically merged:

Dear diary,

Yesterday i had zero freeze-crashes in around 1 hour surfing + 5 hour idle ( game download while sleep )
Today I got 3 freeze-crashes within 10 minutes after i activated HDR in windows settings.

the third crash was at the windows login screen, and as you see there are 3 weird black dots

not sure what the red circle in the middle is, did not see that with my eyes, only the phone camera made that visible

but that was the time i decided to swap the GPU, such pixel errors always point towards GPU.

so far no crash in the first 10 minutes with HDR activated.

but honestly its so hard to test because the crashes are so random, if i hit a day like yesterday with zero crashes in hours then of course i will think "yea nice it works". until the next doomsday arrive

Last edited:
Well, that's both good news and bad news.

I don't think I've ever seen Memtest fail to identify issues with RAM. In my opinion you can count your RAM out as the issue.

That's the only good news in this... because that, in my opinion, only leaves your GPU and those artifact are either dead pixel in your screen or your GPU failing. Dead pixels don't tend to fix themselves and they typically don't appear in random, separated, spots.

I'm personally of the opinion that it's time to start the RMA process for your GPU. Of course you could give it a few hours or try gaming a bit to really give it a go and see but I feel like everything always circles back to your GPU.

Well, that's both good news and bad news.

I don't think I've ever seen Memtest fail to identify issues with RAM. In my opinion you can count your RAM out as the issue.

That's the only good news in this... because that, in my opinion, only leaves your GPU and those artifact are either dead pixel in your screen or your GPU failing. Dead pixels don't tend to fix themselves and they typically don't appear in random, separated, spots.

I'm personally of the opinion that it's time to start the RMA process for your GPU. Of course you could give it a few hours or try gaming a bit to really give it a go and see but I feel like everything always circles back to your GPU.

i don't think its dead pixels, the screen is new and i just checked with https://deadpixeltest.org/ which gave me eye cancer but i didn't see any dead pixel

also i just played cyberpunk on that 1080Ti for an hour without any issue

i don't think its dead pixels, the screen is new and i just checked with https://deadpixeltest.org/ which gave me eye cancer but i didn't see any dead pixel

also i just played cyberpunk on that 1080Ti for an hour without any issue

Yeah, sorry if I was unclear. I meant that this is clearly not dead pixels.

We are really back to your GPU being the issue as I first thought. I get why you feel it's early to claim victory though.

I don't know how you bought the PC but I'd get in touch with them with a quick rundown of everything that happened/you tried. I really can't imagine you getting pushback on this.

Top Bottom