DisplayLink Driver Causes Crash at Launch

+
Hello,

I have recently gotten back into playing after an extended absence and when I attempted to launch the game, it failed. This was actually related to why I stopped playing in the first place: suddenly I couldn't launch the game. However, after debugging for a little while and trying to determine the problem, and seeing that all of the posts related to crash on launch were in regards to an audio driver issue, I started looking into my drivers and had the realization that I'd seen a problem like this before (with Minecraft).

I unplugged the docking stations from my laptop and launched the game without them connected (which meant the displaylink driver on my device was inactive) and the game launched perfectly fine and I have played with no technical issues since. However, I noticed a few interesting things:
  • The issue only exists at startup. I can launch the game without being connected to the docking stations, then after reaching the "press spacebar" screen (earlier sometimes causes a crash) I can reconnect the docking stations and run the game as you would expect.
  • The first time I played, I played with a docking station connected. I noticed when I stopped playing that an update had just been released and after installing the update, I suddenly couldn't launch the game. Assuming that the same issue wasn't caused by two different things then and now, that means something changed in the game code that started this issue happening rather than it being on displaylink's side. I don't recall exactly when this issue cropped up (sorry), but I know it was a patch pre-1.5 and now with the latest updates I still can't launch with the docking stations connected.
Hardware details:
All my drivers are up to date with the latest versions. To reproduce, simply have a laptop capable of running the game and connect either or both of these docking stations and attempt to open the launcher. The launcher doesn't open, if the launcher is already open when the docking stations are connected, then when hitting play the game doesn't open.

If there's any additional info I can provide that would be of help, don't hesitate to ask! Big fan of the game, would love to see this issue resolved.

Hello,

I have recently gotten back into playing after an extended absence and when I attempted to launch the game, it failed. This was actually related to why I stopped playing in the first place: suddenly I couldn't launch the game. However, after debugging for a little while and trying to determine the problem, and seeing that all of the posts related to crash on launch were in regards to an audio driver issue, I started looking into my drivers and had the realization that I'd seen a problem like this before (with Minecraft).

I unplugged the docking stations from my laptop and launched the game without them connected (which meant the displaylink driver on my device was inactive) and the game launched perfectly fine and I have played with no technical issues since. However, I noticed a few interesting things:
  • The issue only exists at startup. I can launch the game without being connected to the docking stations, then after reaching the "press spacebar" screen (earlier sometimes causes a crash) I can reconnect the docking stations and run the game as you would expect.
  • The first time I played, I played with a docking station connected. I noticed when I stopped playing that an update had just been released and after installing the update, I suddenly couldn't launch the game. Assuming that the same issue wasn't caused by two different things then and now, that means something changed in the game code that started this issue happening rather than it being on displaylink's side. I don't recall exactly when this issue cropped up (sorry), but I know it was a patch pre-1.5 and now with the latest updates I still can't launch with the docking stations connected.
Hardware details:
All my drivers are up to date with the latest versions. To reproduce, simply have a laptop capable of running the game and connect either or both of these docking stations and attempt to open the launcher. The launcher doesn't open, if the launcher is already open when the docking stations are connected, then when hitting play the game doesn't open.

If there's any additional info I can provide that would be of help, don't hesitate to ask! Big fan of the game, would love to see this issue resolved.
I looked online for eventual disadvantages concerning connected docking stations when gaming, and couldn't as much find anything that could cause a game crashing.

It was said that docking stations actually more times than not improve the overall performance.

In that regard, I would strongly ask you to consider passing this feedback to CDPR Support, so they can consider to initiate a couple of experiments with the aforementioned docking stations in combination with specifically, this game, Cyberpunk 2077.

Can use the link below. Select the "Contact us" tap. Be advised there's a timer to submit a bug-report, and a character limit of 1000.

Top Bottom