Dodging in melee combat

+
I can't dodge. Or at least, any movement due to dodge is miniscule.
I'm fighting Coach Fred's training bot, and when I dodge (LCtrl key plus direction) it doesn't move me out of the way in the manner Geralt smartly steps to the side when he dodges in TW3. The bot is still able to attack.
Am I missing something? Are there perks later on that improve V's ability to dodge? Cause right now it looks like Beat on the Brat is a quest I'll not be attempting at all.

Sild

Ex-moderator
Dodging is functional but it has to be timed right since the melee attacks of NPC's are kind of homing attacks and you can't spam it since you will run out of stamina. There's also a perk in the reflex tree that turns your dodge into a dash - basically the same but faster and more distance covered - which allows more room for error.

Are there perks later on that improve V's ability to dodge? Cause right now it looks like Beat on the Brat is a quest I'll not be attempting at all.
I don't thing you can take this fight as "example". Since they changed things slightly in 1.5/1.6, this fight was probably one of the hardest to win on "very hard", for me. Knowing that when I start Beat On The Brat fights, my is not as weak and even damn strong.
In theory, if you do it right when existing the appartement, you're level 1 (or 2) and no cyberware, nothing really special :)

I wish there was a training arena where we could practice hand to hand combat, Fred's bot or a training gym where you fight NPC opponents would've been perfect.

Melee attacks from enemy are homing attacks, you need to use sandesvistan or kerzenikov in fight to dodge and win.

I tried dodging in the GIM against the boss and it wouldn't, she ended up chasing me all around the area for a long time and 2 shotting me on hard. I had to turn down the difficulty to finish it. I had good weapons fully upgraded which did one tenth of their normal damage even with headshots.

Like EA sports, it makes you worse not the opposition better.

Is dodging a perk now?

There's a key for it (left control) but like I said in my post above, it doesn't appear to do anything. Unlike the dodge in The Witcher 3 where Geralt moves away in the direction you choose.

Options - Control - Dodging on movement input Keys (enable/disable double-tag on movement keys to dodge)

That what i did and i like it.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 189
Ok thank you for that, I'm going to try it out. Odd that I always double tapped before 2.0 and I could dodge and now I can't.

Edit: I just checked and that setting was already like that for me.

Gonna have to get a dodge mod, no doubt. I'm struggling too. I can dodge but it's like a half-inch side step = useless.

It`s definetly not Witcher 3 in which by a frame of time it would sync the dodge with the attack, neither is a souls like dodge in which you have i-frames and most enemies at least don`t throw those homing attacks.

Here in CP77 to dodge a melee attack you really have to wait until the last moment so the melee attack doesn`t float towards you, and even then you have to worry about the direction of the dodge to create enough space to not get hit by the animation xD Really, better to just get dash asap if you plan to use it movement as melee defense and have a melee weapon meanwhile to be able to parry all melee the attacks.

Last edited:
On console we only have the option to change dodge/dash from double tap circle button to tap circle for dodge with the compromise of hold circle for crouch (normally tap circle for crouch). It feels super awkward in this order, hold circle to dodge/dash and tap to crouch would be a great addition imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom