Faction Board Skins: One step forward, two steps back?

+
Faction Board Skins: One step forward, two steps back?

Let's dive-in straight.

WHAT I LIKE: I like the painted middle row. It's as if a ribbon is tied around it. I also like the borders. For example, the golden mechanical ones for NG, the metallic ones for NR and SK, carved wood for ST and organic wood for MO.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE: I don't like the extra artwork added, specially to the left of the battlefield. I don't think it was necessarily, and it's making the screen look more filled than it should be. It's specially bad for NR where the castle looks mostly bland, for NG and SK (as you can see in the pictures). It looks fine for the ST though. The green leather looks real, and the squirrel-tail is a fine touch, although it seems a bit out of proportion and forced. The MO's one is almost perfect though, in my opinion. The problem is that it's impractical, and the hand-drawn look isn't helping either. I also don't like how instead of looking like a board, the battlefield looks like two separate trays joined together now. Big no-no.

WHAT I WANT: First of, the score ribbons (which show the total score) should be changed into the middle-row colours. Similarly, the coin and all highlights should be changed from red and blue to show the specific faction colours. Then, everything that has been added except the middle-row ribbon, the pattern over the individual row-score strip, and the borders should be removed. And finally, the separate trays should be made to look like part of the same board (battlefield)...even if the borders' artwork has to be sacrificed for it.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• photo208131.jpg
    photo208131.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 23
  • photo208141.jpg
    photo208141.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 32
  • photo208151.jpg
    photo208151.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 25
I really don't have much to complain about the new boards, I really like those as they are now. Only the NR castle thingy looks a bit weird because of the direction it is pointing.

Those score ribbons could probably, maybe, be changed to faction colours, but changing the coin could be a bit weird if both players are using the same faction.

I don't really have a problem with any of the skins -- not even the NR castle.
I just think they look really cool. :D

Agreed with Sunsibar that having the coin's colours correspond to the ranged rows would likely be confusing when both players are using the same faction. Likewise with the score ribbons, I think.

Perhaps those three could be of some colour not present in any of the faction skins, if they were to be changed?
Then again, the blue and red have been present since the very beginning, so they're rather "iconic" by now.
But this is getting a bit off-topic, so I'll stop here. :p

Rather than faction boards id rather see boards that are different locales from the game where Gwent was played. All with different sound effects as well. Like tree roots and candles when you played under the tree, or even a bog themed board, different tavern themes etc.. Many possibilities for different boards rather than the double theme.

Mancoon1980;n10862911 said:
id rather see boards that are different locales from the game where Gwent was played. All with different sound effects as well. Like tree roots and candles when you played under the tree
Nice idea. I like it. But CDPR seems to be going for a handcrafted artwork, instead of a realistic one, for some reason.

Top Bottom