Faulting application name: REDlauncher.exe

+
The game became unplayable after the latest patch (1.6) and the REDlauncher.exe crashes directly when started, no available "fix" found is helping the problem.

Faulting application name: REDlauncher.exe, version: 2.7.2.46, time stamp: 0x6310a268
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22000.918, time stamp: 0x81cba20a
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000ea609
Faulting process id: 0x3724
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8c7380153c090
Faulting application path: C:\Users\erikh\AppData\Local\Programs\CD Projekt Red\REDlauncher\REDlauncher.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 2c8f7442-0d7b-4200-a4ad-113088c35935
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I've tried the following
  • Updating Nvidia drivers
  • Reinstalling Nvidia drivers
  • Verifying integrity of game files
  • Reinstalling Windows
And tried everything mentioned here: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc/sp-technical/issue/1568/the-game-is-not-launching-5
Post automatically merged:

So I tried launching the game from the install folder (...\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\Cyberpunk2077.exe) and that worked just fine, seems likethe launcher is giving me problems.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    115.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I've had the exact same problem on Windows 11 (build 22000.1042 as of today) ever since installing the 1.6 patch, and stumbled across the same workaround. Not a very good solution; I like launching my games from Steam. Note, this doesn't affect running on Steam Deck.

I have the exact same problem.
Tried everything

Here is CDPRs answer when i asked when they estimate a fix:

“I am afraid I have no information to share on the estimated time for a fix for this issue.

The game became unplayable after the latest patch (1.6) and the REDlauncher.exe crashes directly when started, no available "fix" found is helping the problem.

I've tried the following
  • Updating Nvidia drivers
  • Reinstalling Nvidia drivers
  • Verifying integrity of game files
  • Reinstalling Windows
And tried everything mentioned here: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc/sp-technical/issue/1568/the-game-is-not-launching-5
Post automatically merged:

So I tried launching the game from the install folder (...\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\Cyberpunk2077.exe) and that worked just fine, seems likethe launcher is giving me problems.
Have you tried to verify integrity of Steam launcher ?

Another thing to do is launch the Steam Application as Administrator/ The Game as Administrator.

Have you tried to verify integrity of Steam launcher ?

Another thing to do is launch the Steam Application as Administrator/ The Game as Administrator.
It has nothing to do with steam. This is a bug in redlauncher. I reported it and sent some crashdumps as well. Unfortunately the report link for redlauncher bugs points to GOG support, which initially wanted to close the ticket because I'm running on Steam until I explained that this is a redlauncher bug and the developer's support links to GOG support for reporting those.. No reply yet after almost 2 days but they didn't close it which means they're actually looking at it now.

While that is done, I have identified the problem to be heap corruption caused by a double free on a pointer (possibly this happens only on Win11 which is why not everyone is currently screaming about this bug). Trying to figure where exactly that happens without redlauncher.exe symbols or source is not easy but I am in the process of reverse engineering the launcher to try and pinpoint the issue and patch it until an official fix is in.

The nVIDIA driver recently got updated to v517.48 (released on 9/27/2022). After clean installing it, I can now launch Cyberpunk 2077 directly from Steam and it launches REDlauncher. So problem seems to be fixed by a driver change.

Top Bottom