Female protagonist and what it could implies

+
The gender difference that really pissed me off was the assignment of attributes. I'm not sure if anyone still does it, but Wizardry used to.

In games where it might matter, I want the differences to exist, but be unimportant to gameplay. I'm not sure how I feel about plot differences. If they have backstory/mission variations generally (for role selection, whatever), then I'm OK with them also having it for gender, but I don't think I want it JUST for gender. And they MUST avoid stereotypes. Have I already said that? :)

Amen. When I worked as a loader (basically a meat-forklift at the beck and call of Roadies), I had a GF who regularly outdid me and the other guys. She certainly was quite comfortable in a male-dominated industry, and had a number of (traditionally) masculine qualities, yet she was probably the most feminine "tomboy" I ever met. Trying to pigeonhole her with stat differences would be an affront she'd make them live to regret...

I can understand why these sorts of stat based differences are included in some games. On average, women have a lower potential for muscle mass in the upper body compared to men. It's a simple genetic fact. There are other significant differences too, most involving mental stimuli.

However, CP2020 made no distinctions between men and women with regards to skills or stats and it was purely down to the GM how to interpret other elements of sexuality and gender.

I don't think Dragon, or the others, have anything to worry about. CDPR are on the ball.

LOL, the old upper body strength argument. The last scientific bastion of sexism... Not suggesting you're using it (the post clearly shows that), but to those who do, I suggest they go have a roll with Rhonda Rousey, then off to hospital to get their elbow relocated...

Seriously, for a good life experience, I recommend one free class anywhere that teaches Jiu-Jitsu and has female students. Upper body strength is fine if it's the only game in town, but when flexibility and experience come into play...

Hell, the only reason wrestlers do so well in MMA is the weirdly skewed rules that allow you to spend three rounds lying on someone and notch up another win. Without that, they'd need to massively retrain to have a hope...

LOL, the old upper body strength argument. The last scientific bastion of sexism... Not suggesting you're using it (the post clearly shows that), but to those who do, I suggest they go have a roll with Rhonda Rousey, then off to hospital to get their elbow relocated...

Seriously, for a good life experience, I recommend one free class anywhere that teaches Jiu-Jitsu and has female students. Upper body strength is fine if it's the only game in town, but when flexibility and experience come into play...

Hell, the only reason wrestlers do so well in MMA is the weirdly skewed rules that allow you to spend three rounds lying on someone and notch up another win. Without that, they'd need to massively retrain to have a hope...

Don't get me wrong. The actual difference can be quite negelgable, but the difference in potential for muscle mass is quite substanital.

That said, how the muscle is used can make a huge difference. Raw power and actual force are definitely two different things.

That said, how the muscle is used can make a huge difference. Raw power and actual force are definitely two different things.

Exactly, so it really doesn't make sense for a game developer to use this as a reason of introducing some sexist, stereotype bullshit that wipes out all of the marketing benefits of allowing the player to choose gender

I don't mind if they give me the option of having pink Hello Kitty weopons, but they really have to keep their hands off my stats. :)

I don't mind specializing stats for genders or races, (elves vs dwarves, not black vs white - hooie would that be not a fun subject), as long as there is some kind of balance. So women might have higher average endurance, men would have higher average strength for starting points.

Upper end would vary from sport to sport. Hard to say, mostly. Record strength wise, males win, every time. Hard to beat that testosterone for muscle growth. Check out lift records if you'd like to compare. Google Andy Bolton, for example.

Endurance or athleticism, well, I think we should have the sports all coed by now and just see what happens. I think we would see some quite surprising results. Lindsay Vonn springs to mind. I consider the decison not to pit her against males an act of institutional cowardice. Some day.

Exactly, so it really doesn't make sense for a game developer to use this as a reason of introducing some sexist, stereotype bullshit that wipes out all of the marketing benefits of allowing the player to choose gender

I don't mind if they give me the option of having pink Hello Kitty weopons, but they really have to keep their hands off my stats. :)

I have boyparts and want hello kitty guns! Hell, I'm more and more excited by the idea of running a hyper-positive perky female glitterpunk for my first playthrough. I love the idea of contrast. Rainslicked streets, homeless being beaten by cops, and me, dancing through the rain to 90's happy hardcore...

Hot pants, bikini top, fluorescent fake fur leg warmers, glow sticks and a seemingly endless supply of lollipops...

Sign me up!

Plus, AR cyberoptics that make everyone smiley, all the time! Possibly also giving people glittery auras, like they're teen-dream vampires!

Maybe at first she can be nieve and cowardly, running and avoiding conflict and firefights, mediocre with weapons or probably knows nothing about them. Maybe she's an average chick caught up in the wrong picture and through her experiences she develops. Unless she's half robot, the cliche shoot 'em up hot chick shouldnt just be unnaturally confident and godly. There definitely needs to be some character development. Would make for a great intro.

Hello all,

First, I'm sorry if this as already been told elsewhere on the forum, I made a quick search, and didn't find anything.

So, based on the few informations we have on CP2077, we should be able to create our own character before actually playing.
Personally, I'm already fantasizing about playing a character that would ressemble Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the shell.

So yeah, I really love playing with female character when I have the possibility, because I find it interesting to live in an adventure from the point of view of a female.
So if (And I'm sure it will be the case, especially when you know that every game or almost include a female protagonist since the "video-games-is-a-sexist-industry" shitstorm) you can create your own female player, I would love that it wouldn't be like playing with a male protagonist, only with the look of a woman, like in A LOT of games.

What I would love to see is that your character's gender would influence the characters, the plot in some ways. Hell, why not even some quests that would be accessible only to a certain gender, I don't know.
I think this would be interesting because this way some interesting themes could be presents in the game (Sexism, of course, for instance, but not only), and the player would be directly implied into these themes.

Well, my english is a bit limited, so I hope you'll get what I meant =p I'm interested in earing your opinions and what you could add to this !

Btw, depending on the gits manga or anime, motoko kusanagi is supposed to be made cyborg at birth. She never knew her real parents, she's bisexual and hacks and swaps from (cyber) body to body without caring much. In the manga she's introduced as a "super spartan" and mantains an androgyn look since the first movie. I guess she's meant to please more tastes.
Some things that might interest you are the first and the Innocence movies. A quick google search and you' ll find loads of feminist essays. I remember reading one long ago, i didn't really care about it, but it was about the female figure in all gits animations including SAC and japanese world (and japan animation as a whole). Thought it might help

There's also the whole thing about Haraway and the Cyborg manifesto

Attachments

• hOFKG1L.png
    hOFKG1L.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 78
Top Bottom