FOV over 85 causes problems (pop ins)

+
Hello fellow CP2077 players,

this is my first time posting on a forum of a specific game, but this problem drives me crazy. I was not able to figure out how to fix this FOV problem.
Basically as soon I push my FOV over 85 in the options (or via mods, it doesn't matter), whole parts of the map are loading in, directly in front of me.
It happens on foot or while driving, with mods installed or even with a fresh and clean install of CP2077. I tried mods to improve the LOD, tried creating a DrawDistanceBoost.ini and a custom User.ini to get rid of this problem, but no improvements were made.

So I hope to find some help here. Thanks you in advance for your time.

Some informations:
DrawDistanceBoost.ini:
[Streaming]
DistanceBoost = 30.000000
also tried

[Streaming]
DistanceBoost = 00.000000
[Streaming]
DistanceBoost = 15.000000

I am using a RTX 4070 ti and even if I disable DLSS and Frame Generation, nothing changes. Of course my frames are not that good after disabling the AI features, but it was worth a try.

If you need more Information, please let me know.

Have a good one and stay awesome,

Riley

This usually happens when messing with the FOV's default values and streaming distance, which the game doesn't like so unfortunately the custom ini didn't do anything because something else might be changing the default values, most likely some leftover mod or tweak.

You've mentioned cleanly reinstalling the game, does this include simply uninstalling it through Steam/GOG or properly uninstalling it by removing all the other folders left behind too? If not, then;

Go to your Cyberpunk folder and delete everything except these two folders;
  • Archive - here you only want to have this folder path; ...\archive\pc\content. If there are any other folder paths within the Archive folder such as Mods or anything else, delete them.
  • Bonus Content (if you have the DLC for bonus content enabled)
Then click on your Windows icon, type %localappdata% and delete the following folders;
  • REDEngine folder from here: AppData\Local\
  • CD Projekt Red folder from here: AppData\Local\
  • CD Projekt RED folder from here: AppData\Local\Programs\
Verify the game's files afterwards through whichever platform you're using and should work properly since anything that affected FOV should be purged. Then you can add mods again and watch out for any FOV editing ones.

Last edited:
This usually happens when messing with the FOV's default values and streaming distance, which the game simply doesn't like. So the reason why your custom ini did nothing is because something else is changing the default values, most likely some mod since you mentioned using them.

You've mentioned cleanly reinstalling the game, does this include simply uninstalling it through Steam/GOG or properly uninstalling it by removing all the other folders left behind? If not, then;

• Archive - here you only want to have this folder path; ...\archive\pc\content. If there are any other folder paths within the Archive folder such as Mods or anything else, delete them.
Then click on your Windows icon, type %localappdata% and delete the following folders;
Verify the game's files afterwards through whichever platform you're using and should work properly since anything that affected FOV should be purged. Then you can add mods again and watch out for any FOV editing ones.
Hello Crimsomrider,

thank you for your reply.
I uninstalled the game via Steam, basically the conventional way. But I deleted all leftover folders afterwards. That includes the leftover folders in the windows user folder and the leftovers from the Steam install path. Like you described.
What I never do, is to mess around with some left over registry entries after uninstalling CP2077.
What makes me so clueless is the fact, that even with no mods installed, the problem accrues by using the official "InGame"-CDPR-approved slider in the settings menu. It´s okay with 85. Its still okayish at 90. But at like 95 you cant oversee it.

Edit: Is it possible that the enabled HDD-Mode has something to do with it? Of course CP2077 is installed on a SSD. But its not a super high speed NVME SSD. So I read an article about how the mentioned mode can improve pop ins InGame. But I guess its just a rumour I fell for, right? :(

Okay, Ill try out another fresh install of CP2077 and follow your path.
Thank you so much for your time so far.

Have a good one and stay awesome,

Riley

Last edited:
What makes me so clueless is the fact, that even with no mods installed, the problem accrues by using the official "InGame"-CDPR-approved slider in the settings menu. It´s okay with 85. Its still okayish at 90. But at like 95 you cant oversee it.
Yeah that does sound strange because it shouldn't persist through clean reinstalls... unless it somehow got cooked into the saves themselves, but I really don't think that is possible.

Did this start happening before or after you started using mods, if so which one? And any chance you could upload a video showcasing the issue below and above 85, just to see exactly what's going on.
Edit: Is it possible that the enabled HDD-Mode has something to do with it? Of course CP2077 is installed on a SSD. But its not a super high speed NVME SSD. So I read an article about how the mentioned mode can improve pop ins InGame. But I guess its just a rumour I fell for, right? :(
Unfortunately it's not what's causing the issue. The HDD Mode merely limits the available mesh variety pool for NPCs and vehicles, while adding some loading screen checkpoints to make the game run smoother at the expense of NPC variety, shouldn't have any effect on this.

Same is for DLSS/Frame-Gen mentioned in your original post; DLSS is simply AI upscaling to improve the framerate, while Frame Generation just generates extra frames based on your original framerate.

Last edited:
This usually happens when messing with the FOV's default values and streaming distance, which the game doesn't like so unfortunately the custom ini didn't do anything because something else might be changing the default values, most likely some leftover mod or tweak.

You've mentioned cleanly reinstalling the game, does this include simply uninstalling it through Steam/GOG or properly uninstalling it by removing all the other folders left behind too? If not, then;

So I am currently reinstalling CP2077. The download is running. It should be ready in 15 minutes.
I followed your instructions.
Would it be okay to post a picture directly here into this thread or link my findings to a private YouTube video?

Most of my nearly 300 hours of CP2077 I played with a FOV of 90. So it’s kinda hard to pin point it down to when it started to bothering me. It really started a few weeks back ago. I watched some videos of CP2077 with a higher FOV and ultra settings and all of the fancy stuff. And in this videos the problem doesn’t seem to be that prominent. Maybe there’s some post FX magic going on, but who knows!?
To get back to the point, it really stared to pop up with some mods installed. It was a nexus mod for improving the FOV while driving in FPS.
But as I mentioned, it was always kinda prominent but it pop up especially after I installed mods to be honest.

Would it be okay to post a picture directly here into this thread or link my findings to a private YouTube video?
Of course, the forums support images and links.

Also if you remember the name of the mod, I can check its files to see what and how it does it exactly. You can check which mods you downloaded by going to the Nexus and checking the download history.

Here's a similar issue with modified FOV while driving, but their fix was quite simple by simply removing the mod. The fact that yours persists is strange, so most likely some leftover hidden away somewhere.

So I am back. CP2077 is freshly installed and I loaded up a very early save file from my first playthrough. As I mentioned, I followed your instructions. Here is the link to the Video I recorded 15 minutes ago. Launched via Steam (Red Launcher), without mods enabled:
Cyberpunk 2077_2023_09_04_nVidia_Shadowplay

Thanks for taking the time to look into my issue.

...or maybe I am just oversensitive with the whole "problem"?

The list of mods I used is pretty packed I guess, as you can see in the attached PDF. All crossed out mods are the ones currently not in use.
But the video on YouTube is after the clean install, of course. Not to get confused by my limited English skills.

These are my hot takes:
- Immersive First Person
- Improved Environment LODs
- Improved Vegetation LODs
- Closer Car TPP Camera

Sorry, I forgot to show my display resolution in the video. So I am playing on 2560x1440p on a 24 inch 1080p monitor.

Attachments

• Cyberpunk 2077 - Mod list - To-do-Liste.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I watched the video 4 times now with eyes glued to the screen, but everything looks completely normal, an expected amount of pop-in for Cyberpunk. Nothing truly stands out from the norm.

That's just how the game is. For example in one of the earlier patches the entire Pacifica stadium would go missing from certain highroads and in the most current one if you go to the Badlands you will see entire mountains looking like triangles or being cut-off in the distance. Naturally we do not see that happening in the video, but even if it did it's just how the game is.

The reason why it may seem like an issue now is because the brain did not actively register such a thing until after you started using mods, so it's trying to actively compare one experience with another, which is why it now sticks out so much for you. You're not alone though, happens to everyone all the time, including myself :D

From the description of your original post when you mentioned that whole parts of the map are loading in, it gave the impression that entire map goes missing and then loads in, as that would be a modded FOV problem with LODs as showcased here;

But your video is simply completely normal amounts of pop-in one would expect in Cyberpunk, regardless of hardware, FOV and ini tweaks. The 4K video you saw was most likely using some Ini tweaks to increase draw distance, but the thing is even draw distance has its limits and does not entirely fix the pop in. Increase it too much and LOD issues pop up once again even worse than before.

Unless I'm simply not seeing something I should be, it's completely normal amounts of pop-in.

Phantom Liberty and 2.0 are almost out and as we know it increased the requirements massively, perhaps because CDPR may have increased draw distance and improved it so it's not as obvious or some other thing. So maybe it may improve the experience of pop-ins, but for now all I can say is everything in that video looks normal and the feeling will go away eventually.

Last edited:
Hi again,

hmm, okay I am a bit disappointed right now. But I am so thankful for your assistance.
The pop ins you mentioned happened to me after using some FOV improving mods. If I take a look at some of these videos on YouTube these pop ins seem to not appear at all?
Like take a look at minute 2:31 in this Video:
CP2077_4k_Ultra_Settings_RTX4090
Are there no pop ins, that prominent, because of the slow moving camera? At the end of this video, there is a sequence with a ride. And maybe it is just me but it looks like to me, that there are way less notable pop ins.
My video memory is at 10 GB max.
I have 32 GB of ram installed. But my CPU is getting a bit old. It’s an Intel Core i7 8700k not overclocked. The CPU usage is sitting around 70%-80% while playing.

Last edited:
How obvious LOD pop-in becomes depends on the location, but yes also movement speed.

You'll notice them less if you walk/run, more if you drive because some locations barely display any, some are more obvious with pop-ins, such as Heywood's south-east corner and parts of Santo Domingo where you drove. Go to the Badlands and you'll see even worse pop in with trash and hills all around. Some parts won't even fully render until you're close to them.

Here's my own example of such case;

The Digital Foundry video is simply them showcasing a feature in carefully selected situations so that the game's visual flaws do not detract from the Raytracing feature.

But check live gameplay such as Lirik's here @ 2:51:39 and you'll see how terrible pop-in is in a trivial location such as the prison area. Observe the people, the signs, the fences popping in;

How obvious LOD pop-in becomes depends on the location, but yes also movement speed.

You'll notice them less if you walk/run, more if you drive because some locations barely display any, some are more obvious with pop-ins, such as Heywood's south-east corner and parts of Santo Domingo where you drove. Go to the Badlands and you'll see even worse pop in with trash and hills all around. Some parts won't even fully render until you're close to them.

Here's my own example of such case;

The Digital Foundry video is simply them showcasing a feature in carefully selected situations so that the game's visual flaws do not detract from the Raytracing feature.

But check live gameplay such as Lirik's here and you'll see how terrible pop-in is in a trivial location such as the prison area. Observe the people, the signs, the fences popping in so obviously;
Alright then. I have to accept the fact, that the Red Engine is a its limits with CP2077 and especially with Phantom Liberty. CDPR must had their reasons to move forward to the Unreal Engine.
That also means my idea for CP2077 Videos are basically gone. Because these pop ins breaking the immersion too much.
Thank you so much again for your assistance.
Normally I try not to bother anyone with such minor “problems” and I always try to figure it out myself. But idk this one bothered me massively.
Now Ill look forward to the release of Phantom Liberty and DLSS 3.5. Meanwhile Ill try to find a way to improve the pop ins, even if its a small improvement. Any improvement is a good improvement.

Thanks for sharing your information with me.

stay awesome,

Riley

Last edited:
Alright then. I have to accept the fact, that the Red Engine is a its limits with CP2077 and especially with Phantom Liberty. CDPR must had their reasons to move forward to the Unreal Engine.
That also means my idea for CP2077 Videos are basically gone. Because these pop ins breaking the immersion too much.
Thank you so much again for your assistance.
Normally I try not to bother anyone with such minor “problems” and I always try to figure it out myself. But idk this one bothered me massively.
Now Ill look forward to the release of Phantom Liberty and DLSS 3.5. Meanwhile Ill try to find a way to improve the pop ins, even if its a small improvement. Any improvement is a good improvement.

Thanks for sharing your information with me.

stay awesome,

Riley
The real fix for this is to add this ini tweak:

[Streaming/Culling/AutoHideDistanceNear]
Enabled = false

Completely fixed the issue for me. I can play at any FOV without pop in now. Fix was found by TimKian on Nexusmods. I would recommend downloading the 'Increased Level of Details Distance' mod from NexusMods, then modify the .ini file it adds to your game and change the above from its default true to false. The engine can hande it fine, I dont know why CDPR chose to do this. It doesnt even effect performance for me at all but I am using a very high end setup (RTX 4090 etc). Maybe it will for others.

The real fix for this is to add this ini tweak:

[Streaming/Culling/AutoHideDistanceNear]
Enabled = false

Completely fixed the issue for me. I can play at any FOV without pop in now. Fix was found by TimKian on Nexusmods. I would recommend downloading the 'Increased Level of Details Distance' mod from NexusMods, then modify the .ini file it adds to your game and change the above from its default true to false. The engine can hande it fine, I dont know why CDPR chose to do this. It doesnt even effect performance for me at all but I am using a very high end setup (RTX 4090 etc). Maybe it will for others.
Thank you for reaching out. I´ll try it out asap.
Do I have to create a .ini file in that location Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\platform\pc?

I´ll come back soon to give some feedback to my experience with this tweak in use.
Thx again for reaching out.

Have a good one.

Thank you for reaching out. I´ll try it out asap.
Do I have to create a .ini file in that location Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\platform\pc?

I´ll come back soon to give some feedback to my experience with this tweak in use.
Thx again for reaching out.

Have a good one.
As I promised, I´ll leave my feedback. I am not sure about your magic trickery, but it seem to work at least its not worse than before.
So thank you for reaching out.

Top Bottom