How to do COOL

+
Well there was a way through that mission that is fully pacifist, FYI. You warn the gang about the chip's origin, and they put it in a sandbox environment and remove the virus.

Although, you should be punished sometimes for trying to go the non-lethal route. But not all the time.

You miss my point. Actually in your example V end up being automatically bullied by the Corpo woman, while going the No Brain Shooty Shooty Bang Bang route probably doesn't have such problem, as I don't see the dev' auto kill an FPS player.

And fully pacifist won't be possible, Cyberway is mistaken. You will have to fight at some points.

Actually it's the same about fights in Cyberpunk: If you go alone in a firefight against lots of people, you should end up killed no matter what. But (for the moment at least, even if I don't imagine the dev' frustrating the FPS part of their audience) it seems that the Murder Hobo is immune to such auto-fail.

You miss my point. Actually in your example V end up being automatically bullied by the Corpo woman, while going the No Brain Shooty Shooty Bang Bang route probably doesn't have such problem, as I don't see the dev' auto kill an FPS player.

Actually it's the same about fights in Cyberpunk: If you go alone in a firefight against lots of people, you should end up killed no matter what. But (for the moment at least, even if I don't imagine the dev' frustrating the FPS part of their audience) it seems that the Murder Hobo is immune to such auto-fail.
You weren't auto-bullied. You could have left or not met with her. The player in that case decided to approach. The player could then smooth-talk or grab the gun and start a fight.

Seems like a decent amount of freedom to me.

Yeah, I know. But it's a video game. Even the most hardcore CRPGs usually do not result in the player dying instantly or particularly quickly except on hard difficulties.

What do you propose instead?

You weren't auto-bullied. You could have left or not met with her. The player in that case decided to approach. The player could then smooth-talk or grab the gun and start a fight.

Seems like a decent amount of freedom to me.

V was auto bullied. There was no social interraction at all. Actually that's the perfect point for the use of one of C2020 iconic rule: Facedowns test aka "I look so confident in myself that I might have an Nuclear Bomb hidden in my chest which will explode if you makes me angry, so don't try that."

It's "auto" because the situation resolve "automatically", not because V was automatically put into it.
You imagine telling an FPS player: "You weren't auto-killed. You could have left or not met with the Gang. The player in that case decided to go all Shooty Bang Bang. You started a fight so you died without having a possibility to even actually do the firefight."

No?
Then why do it have to be different in social? Because the character doesn't die as a result? That's just thinking "Meta".

Yeah, I know. But it's a video game. Even the most hardcore CRPGs usually do not result in the player dying instantly or particularly quickly except on hard difficulties.

What do you propose instead?

Stats check to be able to actually play the scene like Mr Shooty Bang Bang plays firefights.
Reflexes to avoid the grab.
Strength to crush the arm trying to grab you.
Constitution for not moving an inch.
And finally Cool for passive intimidation (the famous Facedowns test).

Actually either the game being full cinematic and both player styles have the same possibility of auto-fail or action game approach and letting the player a chance to win.

But let's not forget that V doesn't even have to go meet with the corpo agent. She could have simply gone in and bought the bot with her own money. Or she could have snuck in and stolen it.

Instead, she got the attitude of Ms. Stout clearly over the phone on their first contact. It only makes sense that Stout would try to bully V. In fact, V walks in completely expecting it. (She is sure to tell Jackie not to make a move unless she does.) It's a perfectly sensible execution based upon the fact that the player chose to meet with them and chose to play it tough.

Minus the player didn't have it's say in the result of the action. Trying to bully V is one thing. Having V being automatically unable to react and resist (Or simply using "Facedown") to said bullying is another thing.

Like I say what would you say if I told you that if V choose to fight the gangers V should die automatically without even having the right to fight back just because V chose to fight them when V could have avoided it?

There is no difference between the two situation.
Post automatically merged:

While you can't skip missions (unless they are side quests), you can fail them and the game will continue. No "GAME OVER, RELOAD" sequences except on death.

I actually already made a topic about failling contracts on purpose so I won't get mercenary jobs anymore but it seems it won't be possible.

Minus the player didn't have it's say in the result of the action. Trying to bully V is one thing. Having V being automatically unable to react and resist (Or simply using "Facedown") to said bullying is another thing.

Like I say what would you say if I told you that if V choose to fight the gangers V should die automatically without even having the right to fight back just because V chose to fight them when V could have avoided it?

I actually already made a topic about failling contracts on purpose so I won't get mercenary jobs anymore but it seems it won't be possible.
Unfortunately, Kakita, the game you want does not exist, and probably will not exist for a very long time.

And, to be clear, I actually agree with you on a lot of your points. But over the years I've been beaten down by reality. I suppose I commend you for continuing to fight for what you want. I only wish you'd be more willing to compromise or suggest an alternative that is actually possible.

In the case of the encounter with the corpos, based on what you've said, you seem to want 100%, absolute freedom in handling that situation. I would hope it would be "good enough" that you can not only ignore that woman entirely, but grab a gun and fight back, or attempt to screw her over by telling the gang later. But apparently it isn't, and I'm just not sure what else can possibly be done to make it suit your desires.

Guest 4149880

Unfortunately, Kakita, the game you want does not exist, and probably will not exist for a very long time.

And, to be clear, I actually agree with you on a lot of your points. But over the years I've been beaten down by reality. I suppose I commend you for continuing to fight for what you want. I only wish you'd be more willing to compromise or suggest an alternative that is actually possible.

In the case of the encounter with the corpos, based on what you've said, you seem to want 100%, absolute freedom in handling that situation. I would hope it would be "good enoughl" that you can not only ignore that woman entirely, but grab a gun and fight back, or attempt to screw her over by telling the gang later. But apparently it isn't, and I'm just not sure what else can possibly be done to make it suit your desires.

I'd say there's a fair enough freedom given the circumstances, which won't always be in the players control. There will be moments that things will happen to the player that aren't expected or have much control over, the only option is to retaliate by force or deescalate the situation.

Giving the player 100% control just isn't realistic.

In the demo the player has the option to/not confront Corpo agent Stout. From there the player is attacked and taken hostage. The player again has to make a choice to/not grab the gun and fight or negotiate, but all of that could have been avoided all together and done a different way. That's a lot of freedom.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the case of the encounter with the corpos, based on what you've said, you seem to want 100%, absolute freedom in handling that situation. I would hope it would be "good enough" that you can not only ignore that woman entirely, but grab a gun and fight back, or attempt to screw her over by telling the gang later. But apparently it isn't, and I'm just not sure what else can possibly be done to make it suit your desires.

It already exist in a lots of games actuelly, that is Skill gated/Stat gated (or Skill/stat check if you want some randomness in that) dialogue options.
For the corpo woman example there may be some checks that are done passively (such as checking the cool for the facedown test, aka passive intimidation) which could act on what the corpo woman actually try, and active possibility at certain points, like when you're about to be grabed the time slow down a bit and you have too choose between:
-Avoiding the grab.
-Crush the arm which tries to grab you.
-Resist the grab.
(-Do nothing would be a valid choice of course, as your character may not be build to manage one of such actions or maybe you don't want to resist, cause of course choosing such option doesn't mean you're character automatically pull it off, he may fail too)

Such things already exist, such thing isn't out of CDprojekt ability.

Actually if the game doesn't have such things to me at least it should be called an adventure game, not an RPG.
Kinda like an open world version of Detroit: Become Human for example: lots of choices but no stats to affect the outcomes of such choices so auto results outside of the "action" parts.

I'd say there's a fair enough freedom given the circumstances, which won't always be in the players control. There will be moments that things will happen to the player that aren't expected or have much control over, the only option is to retaliate by force or deescalate the situation.

Giving the player 100% control just isn't realistic.

You totally miss it.
There is at big difference between having 100% control, that is doing everything the way you wants, and being able to try to do logical (in the setting at least) things at to pull it of if your character has the build to back it of.

From a combat perspective, that would be the same difference between having a combat be automatically resolved without the player having the right to actually touch the controller and having the AI playing the combat for you using your character abilities.
Still not the 100% control of actual combats where your always pull it off just because, but at least a character based chance not to auto fail.

Plus as a side note I think it's utterly ridiculous that the same character who can take on whole firefights by himself in the cyberpunk 2020 universe, making him tougher than most of C2020 universe most renowned characters, cannot react at all when being grabbed.
Consistency...:facepalm:

Last edited:

Guest 4149880

It already exist in a lots of games actuelly, that is Skill gated/Stat gated (or Skill/stat check if you want some randomness in that) dialogue options.
For the corpo woman example there may be some checks that are done passively (such as checking the cool for the facedown test, aka passive intimidation) which could act on what the corpo woman actually try, and active possibility at certain points, like when you're about to be grabed the time slow down a bit and you have too choose between:
-Avoiding the grab.
-Crush the arm which tries to grab you.
-Resist the grab.
(-Do nothing would be a valid choice of course, as your character may not be build to manage one of such actions or maybe you don't want to resist, cause of course choosing such option doesn't mean you're character automatically pull it off, he may fail too)

Such things already exist, such thing isn't out of CDprojekt ability.

Actually if the game doesn't have such things to me at least it should be called an adventure game, not an RPG.
Kinda like an open world version of Detroit: Become Human for example: lots of choices but no stats to affect the outcomes of such choices so auto results outside of the "action" parts.

You totally miss it.
There is at big difference between having 100% control, that is doing everything the way you wants, and being able to try to do logical (in the setting at least) things at to pull it of if your character has the build to back it of.

From a combat perspective, that would be the same difference between having a combat be automatically resolved without the player having the right to actually touch the controller and having the AI playing the combat for you using your character abilities.
Still not the 100% control of actual combats where your always pull it off just because, but at least a character based chance not to auto fail.

Plus as a side note I think it's utterly ridiculous that the same character who can take on whole firefights by himself in the cyberpunk 2020 universe, making him tougher than most of C2020 universe most renowned characters, cannot react at all when being grabbed.
Consistency...:facepalm:

Not really... You're taking one scenario or mission path from a demo as how the game will handle all encounters? What are you looking for in terms of choice?

Not really... You're taking one scenario or mission path from a demo as how the game will handle all encounters? What are you looking for in terms of choice?

It's not "choices" I criticize. Choice is a thing that as I said already exist in adventure games.
It's "possibilities". Being able to try things which requires a certains character build to pull of. That's an actual RPG thing.

And if it's just "that one encounter from the demo" that is like that, then that mean that "that one encounter from the demo" is flawed, that's just it.
I just adress my concern as it being representative of the out-of-combat game design philosophy.

Just know that being put "out of character" doesn't help a bit to immerse yourself in a story. Well, at leat for me.

What do you mean? She did. There was clearly an option to "Grab the gun," after the security dude slammed her against the car.

You're assuming that would have resulted in certain death. I doubt it. A really tough fight with a high probability of dying? Maybe. But I also see V grabbing the gun, a scuffle ensuing, and Jackie suddenly opens up on them from the walkway above. If V was a proper solo build, you might even be able to take them all out and rescue that guy in the truck. It could be a wholly different storyline between that corporation and V in the end.

A large part of the game is this Directive Scene System. If I spent all the time building and incorporating such a huge feature, you can bet a lot of chips that I'd use the hell out of it everywhere.

Guest 4211861

you might even be able to take them all out and rescue that guy in the truck. It could be a wholly different storyline between that corporation and V in the end.

I really wanted to turn the tables on that evil corpo, her on the ground with my gun in her face

Although I'll probably just steal the bot with 1337 ninja skills and never even get caught in the corpo trap to begin with.

All the red-eyes in the warehouse wondering "what was that noise?" as I steal their corpo loot haha

What do you mean? She did. There was clearly an option to "Grab the gun," after the security dude slammed her against the car.

The "after" part is the problem.
Why do you have to wait to be in a crippled position to do something?
Don't the character have things like "reflexes"?
Why V cannot be "cool" enough (in the Cyberpunk 2020 way) to have it's facedown have any effect on NPC attitude?
That's nonsense.

You're assuming that would have resulted in certain death.

Not what I said.
Said the opposite actually :"Then why do it have to be different in social? Because the character doesn't die as a result? That's just thinking "Meta". "

What I said is that I didn't saw any way to counter the agression. You can avoid the whole scene. You can react after being agressed. But i've seen the scene numerous times yet didn't saw a way to just avoid/counter the grab.

It looks like an adventure game scene, like Detroit become human, not like a scene where character skills/stats plays a role.

A large part of the game is this Directive Scene System. If I spent all the time building and incorporating such a huge feature, you can bet a lot of chips that I'd use the hell out of it everywhere.

Well, it's still a demo, so I have some hope left.
Not much though, reason why I'm eager to see how that Directive Scene System takes V skills/stats into account to avoid "auto-win/auto-loss" resolution of social situation.

The "after" part is the problem.
Why do you have to wait to be in a crippled position to do something?
Don't the character have things like "reflexes"?
Why V cannot be "cool" enough (in the Cyberpunk 2020 way) to have it's facedown have any effect on NPC attitude?
That's nonsense.

Because every single interaction at every single point, and every single variation of every single potential combination of actions, must be accounted for with specifically written code for every single, individual encounter from the beginning of the game to the end.

Now it's simply a matter of being reasonable and sensible with how much can be included. If I'm going to script in all of these performed scenes, and I'm going to offer various branches, and each of those branches will have their own performed scenes, and that's going to be true for almost every single interaction of the game from beginning to end...

...the line needs to be drawn somewhere. In order for the scenes to be performed, they have to follow a script. I can provide options, but not for every single detail.

Not what I said.
Said the opposite actually :"Then why do it have to be different in social? Because the character doesn't die as a result? That's just thinking "Meta". "

What I said is that I didn't saw any way to counter the agression. You can avoid the whole scene. You can react after being agressed. But i've seen the scene numerous times yet didn't saw a way to just avoid/counter the grab.

It looks like an adventure game scene, like Detroit become human, not like a scene where character skills/stats plays a role.

Well, call it "certain outcome" instead of "certain death". The difference is the same. The game must know what the possible outcomes are. That's a simple matter of fact for any game. A computer cannot "figure things out" -- it must be told specifically what to do at every point.

For example:
Let's say I have an RPG that lets me choose the "Hunting" skill. The game finds me in a tavern talking to the barkeep about an unknown beast prowling the woods. Logically, the game may account for players utilizing the "Hunting" skill check here to glean more info about the beast. It makes sense in the scenario, and the devs will likely include the option.

Let's say the game also has an "Ancient Lore" skill, mostly used for deciphering old texts and carvings in ruins and such. The player tries to use that skill in this scenario -- thinking that perhaps they can figure out what the unknown beast might be if the barkeep can provide details to them. They can cross reference that with their knowledge of ancient myths and legends, and maybe figure out what they're up against. Don't be surprised when the game doesn't allow for that. "You can't do that now." Or the option for "Ancient Lore" is greyed out for this section.

There is no way for the computer to understand what the player has in mind. It's not reasonable to think that a computer program can account for players' indirect ideas at every point. Computers can't think. Every instruction must be pre-determined and coded in...or it simply doesn't exist to a computer.

Back to V's situation -- of course players cannot do whatever they want whenever they want and expect the game to respond to that. They need to choose among the parameters that have been specifically coded in. That automatically means limitations.

Well, it's still a demo, so I have some hope left.
Not much though, reason why I'm eager to see how that Directive Scene System takes V skills/stats into account to avoid "auto-win/auto-loss" resolution of social situation.

Because: forward motion. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the game to give the player an option that will result in 100% failure. And being able to make a definitive choice doesn't mean that it will be a "win", either. This is where good storytelling comes into play. If choices carry reasonable consequences, then it's more than possible to surprise the player with outcomes they never intended...directly because of their choices. However, they will see clearly how even such unexpected results still make sense.

Tension, excitement, and meaningful choice-and-consequence.

Because every single interaction at every single point, and every single variation of every single potential combination of actions, must be accounted for with specifically written code for every single, individual encounter from the beginning of the game to the end.

Now it's simply a matter of being reasonable and sensible with how much can be included. If I'm going to script in all of these performed scenes, and I'm going to offer various branches, and each of those branches will have their own performed scenes, and that's going to be true for almost every single interaction of the game from beginning to end...

...the line needs to be drawn somewhere. In order for the scenes to be performed, they have to follow a script. I can provide options, but not for every single detail.

Then my way of seeing it is that if you're not going to put the efforts into a scene then don't give the player a reason for wanting to react.
You could do the Corpo meeting scene without the bully. If you do the scene with the bully, then be prepared for player who wants to be able to react to that, or else it become the reason why people often end up playing murder hobo, because murder hobo never get that kind of bad surprise (not the bullying, the possibility to counter it) nor cares about conscequences.

To sum it up: either you try to have players getting involved and cares about V then if you push V in a bad situation you actually are really careful about letting then react logically, because they care, or either you are trying to make them play murder hobo to which anything can happens and the player won't care, and If players don't care the whole ressources you spend on trying to get the players involved are wasted just because you saved some ressources in a few immersion breaking scenes (cause I don't think the whole game resolve around V being bullyed without being able to react).

Actually already had two tabletop RPG games like that where I ended playing murder hobo (one still in play with two different game master, so I either play my character normally or murder hobo depending on who is current game master).

Well, call it "certain outcome" instead of "certain death". The difference is the same. The game must know what the possible outcomes are. That's a simple matter of fact for any game. A computer cannot "figure things out" -- it must be told specifically what to do at every point.

For example:
Let's say I have an RPG that lets me choose the "Hunting" skill. The game finds me in a tavern talking to the barkeep about an unknown beast prowling the woods. Logically, the game may account for players utilizing the "Hunting" skill check here to glean more info about the beast. It makes sense in the scenario, and the devs will likely include the option.

Let's say the game also has an "Ancient Lore" skill, mostly used for deciphering old texts and carvings in ruins and such. The player tries to use that skill in this scenario -- thinking that perhaps they can figure out what the unknown beast might be if the barkeep can provide details to them. They can cross reference that with their knowledge of ancient myths and legends, and maybe figure out what they're up against. Don't be surprised when the game doesn't allow for that. "You can't do that now." Or the option for "Ancient Lore" is greyed out for this section.

There is no way for the computer to understand what the player has in mind. It's not reasonable to think that a computer program can account for players' indirect ideas at every point. Computers can't think. Every instruction must be pre-determined and coded in...or it simply doesn't exist to a computer.

Back to V's situation -- of course players cannot do whatever they want whenever they want and expect the game to respond to that. They need to choose among the parameters that have been specifically coded in. That automatically means limitations.

Again, you're made the say something I don't.
You don't need to be able to do anything anywhere at any time, but if you're going to make a situation very special, especially in the bad way for the player avatar, you have to be extra careful to also makes it very special in your care about letting the player react to it.
Like "good top-down RPG" level of liberty in those few scenes.

Cause if you treat it like any other mundane scene, with options are basically:
-Continue to talk.
-Start shooting.
Of course you will infuriate players involved in V.

Because: forward motion. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the game to give the player an option that will result in 100% failure. And being able to make a definitive choice doesn't mean that it will be a "win", either. This is where good storytelling comes into play. If choices carry reasonable consequences, then it's more than possible to surprise the player with outcomes they never intended...directly because of their choices. However, they will see clearly how even such unexpected results still make sense.

Tension, excitement, and meaningful choice-and-consequence.

Minus choice-and-conscequence are an "external" thing. You do thing in the world and the world react to it.
For exemple: You decide to meet the corpo lady => the corpo lady try to bullies you.

Why not? That may happens, and it's very C2020 in the spirit.
What should not happens is "the corpo lady do bullies you with you being unable to even try to stop her."
That's an "internal" thing, something unaffected by the choice-and-conscequence.

Then my way of seeing it is that if you're not going to put the efforts into a scene then don't give the player a reason for wanting to react.
You could do the Corpo meeting scene without the bully. If you do the scene with the bully, then be prepared for player who wants to be able to react to that, or else it become the reason why people often end up playing murder hobo, because murder hobo never get that kind of bad surprise (not the bullying, the possibility to counter it) nor cares about conscequences.

To sum it up: either you try to have players getting involved and cares about V then if you push V in a bad situation you actually are really careful about letting then react logically, because they care, or either you are trying to make them play murder hobo to which anything can happens and the player won't care, and If players don't care the whole ressources you spend on trying to get the players involved are wasted just because you saved some ressources in a few immersion breaking scenes (cause I don't think the whole game resolve around V being bullyed without being able to react).

Actually already had two tabletop RPG games like that where I ended playing murder hobo (one still in play with two different game master, so I either play my character normally or murder hobo depending on who is current game master).
Again, you're made the say something I don't.
You don't need to be able to do anything anywhere at any time, but if you're going to make a situation very special, especially in the bad way for the player avatar, you have to be extra careful to also makes it very special in your care about letting the player react to it.
Like "good top-down RPG" level of liberty in those few scenes.

I'm in no way twisting your words (nor am I trying to!) I'm pointing out a fallacy in the reasoning of your argument. The depth and breadth of gameplay that you're describing when incorporating it into the overall mechanics that have been developed for CP2077 is not reasonable.

Your argument is that players should be given options on how they want to role-play their characters. The game gives a staggering number of these already. According to what we see in the demo:

1.) The player can decide whether or not they even contact Stout to begin with.
2.) The player can decide to call, handle the situation on the phone, demand a face-to-face, or back out.
3.) The player can decide to go to the meeting or not.
4.) Upon arriving, the player can decide to go in guns blazing, scope out the situation stealthily, walk in diplomatically, or back out.
5.) When Stout has her security intimidate V, the player can decide whether to submit, play it tough, or fight back.
6.) When Stout learns V has nothing to do with the ambush, the player can choose to be honest, try to manipulate the situation, or fight back.
7.) When V plays it diplomatically again, the player can choose to try to get cash up front, balance things out by teaming up with the corpos, or submit to them and work for the corporation directly to find the mole.

But that's seemingly not enough. Your further argument is that V should have been able to approach the corpos in a way that avoids any sort of bullying, aggression, or violence.

o_O

Well...come on, now. That's a tall order for this very small scene. (True, it wouldn't be too much on modern hardware for an RPG that was text-based, using a far more limited, isometric approach ala Fallout 1+2...but that's not the game that's being made here.) To create an option for your desired approach, the code would need to be written in, the options added to the larger chain of events, the actors brought back into the studio to record the lines, the motion capture done and added in...so that the tone of the scene caters itself to the players' whims as well as the outcomes...!? That's not even remotely feasible when set against the scope and scale of a game like this.

What you're suggesting is not a bad idea in any way! It would be awesome if a game went to that level of interaction with the players, literally allowing players to shape and mold the nuanced interaction they have with every NPC in the game. Then the game would remember and reflect that in the future. That would be amazing. And given the limitations of modern day hardware, that would probably be the whole game. And it would likely be about 4 hours long from beginning to end due to the astronomical amount of code that would need to be written for every single line of dialogue at every stage of every conversation with every character based on the player's last choice.

There needs to be a line. This is a practical, production, and delivery concern, not an artistic one.

Also, as to the believability of such a system, the other characters in the gameworld are not going to cater to the player's whims. They are their own characters with their own motivations and personalities. I would argue that Stout's character was crystal clear over the phone. When V arrives at the meeting point, it's not in some restaurant or office, it's in a secluded backstreet, and Stout arrives with an armored vehicle and several armed guards. Um...I'd say their intent is as obvious as a neon sign. There is little more the game could do to project to the player which way things are likely to go. So someone who doesn't want to be bullied had better walk away. The game gives the player that option. Numerous times. If the player puts on a Liverpool jersey and walks right into a group of Manchester United fans with painted faces...well...

Minus choice-and-conscequence are an "external" thing. You do thing in the world and the world react to it.
For exemple: You decide to meet the corpo lady => the corpo lady try to bullies you.

Why not? That may happens, and it's very C2020 in the spirit.
What should not happens is "the corpo lady do bullies you with you being unable to even try to stop her."
That's an "internal" thing, something unaffected by the choice-and-conscequence.

I don't get this part of your argument. The way V handled the situation, she wasn't bullied. They did try. Hard. And V stood her ground, walked way scot free, was holding a $50,000 credit chip, and completely undermined Stout's plans for the corpo she had kidnapped in the back of the truck. How is that "being bullied"?

But oh...the credit chip was a setup! Anyone not see that coming? Since I did see it coming...I wonder what would have happened if V had chosen to check out the chip before handing it over to the gang...? Onion layers.

Last edited:
The way V handled the situation, she wasn't bullied. They did try.

You mean wasn't hit in the head, kicked to the ground, had an unauthorized access to datalink and arm twisted while being aimed at by guns?

I am actually with Kakita here. I am not one to advocate impossibly many options to a given scene, but the way the gorilla gets the drop on V REALLY grinds my gears. Maybe this is early in the game and V is portrayed as something of a noob, or maybe a different kind of character build than the combat cyborg with razor reflexes I am imagining.

Lets keep it simple: If I imagine my character as a strong combatant, then the last thing I want to see is my character being helpless and me having no say about it.

That said, I am not 100% sure the situation was as automatic that Kakita made it sound. When the corpo offered her hand, V had two dialog options. "Correct." and "I've got a proposition for ya". In the video the former was picked, V approached to shake hands and was hit in the head. Maybe the other option will not make her so vulnerable, as in, not try to shake hands? There is still the "grab gun" option afterwards also..

edit: If the helplessness is the result of a player making a mistake (such as choosing wrong dialog option), then I dont mind it. But if choice is taken away entirely, then thats bad.

Last edited:
But that's seemingly not enough. Your further argument is that V should have been able to approach the corpos in a way that avoids any sort of bullying, aggression, or violence.

o_O

Actually that would only be the result of a facedown test. A Succeding facedown test (a failed one would end up changing nothing actually). And Facedown test is iconic to C2020.

Other option I gave would most likely imply violence, such as "-Crush the arm which tries to grab you." like this:
You think that's avoiding violence?

I think you kinda look at social as being all nice to everyone. That's not the case. That's not what Facedown is.

Also, as to the believability of such a system, the other characters in the gameworld are not going to cater to the player's whims. They are their own characters with their own motivations and personalities. I would argue that Stout's character was crystal clear over the phone.

You say that like if nothing can changes Stout's mind.

That's what social actions are for.
Remember: The Ironmaster, a feared boosterganger known throughout Night City, also wanted to bully "that guy". But "That guy" was so self-posessed that it gaves him a feel of danger. In the end The Ironmaster changed his plans, shifted his eyes away and backed down with a grunt.

That was facedown. That's one of the major use of COOL (and reputation).

When V arrives at the meeting point, it's not in some restaurant or office, it's in a secluded backstreet, and Stout arrives with an armored vehicle and several armed guards. Um...I'd say their intent is as obvious as a neon sign. There is little more the game could do to project to the player which way things are likely to go. So someone who doesn't want to be bullied had better walk away. The game gives the player that option. Numerous times.

That's not uncommon for a corpo to do that.
That doesn't mean they are bound to use violence, just that they are prepared to use violence and also making a display of power to avoid problems.

I don't get this part of your argument. The way V handled the situation, she wasn't bullied.

If taking a handgun hit on your head and being thrown to the ground while V is magically unable to resist isn't being bullied then I don't have the same definition of that word as you.

Your argument is that players should be given options on how they want to role-play their characters. The game gives a staggering number of these already. According to what we see in the demo:

1.) The player can decide whether or not they even contact Stout to begin with.
2.) The player can decide to call, handle the situation on the phone, demand a face-to-face, or back out.
3.) The player can decide to go to the meeting or not.
4.) Upon arriving, the player can decide to go in guns blazing, scope out the situation stealthily, walk in diplomatically, or back out.
5.) When Stout has her security intimidate V, the player can decide whether to submit, play it tough, or fight back.
6.) When Stout learns V has nothing to do with the ambush, the player can choose to be honest, try to manipulate the situation, or fight back.
7.) When V plays it diplomatically again, the player can choose to try to get cash up front, balance things out by teaming up with the corpos, or submit to them and work for the corporation directly to find the mole.

Just to get back on that part: Those don't need to be in an RPG to have this.
Detroit: Become Human isn't an RPG, yet still have that kind of choices.

RPG also have stats, and use them to resolve how actions turns out.
If everyone get the same result regardless of their build, then it's no RPG.

Last edited:
Actually that would only be the result of a facedown test. A Succeding facedown test (a failed one would end up changing nothing actually). And Facedown test is iconic to C2020.

Other option I gave would most likely imply violence, such as "-Crush the arm which tries to grab you." like this:

I think you kinda look at social as being all nice to everyone. That's not the case. That's not what Facedown is.

Remember: The Ironmaster, a feared boosterganger known throughout Night City, also wanted to bully "that guy". But "That guy" was so self-posessed that it gaves him a feel of danger. In the end The Ironmaster changed his plans, shifted his eyes away and backed down with a grunt.

That doesn't mean they are bound to use violence, just that they are prepared to use violence and also making a display of power to avoid problems.

If taking a handgun hit on your head and being thrown to the ground while V is magically unable to resist isn't being bullied then I don't have the same definition of that word as you.

Just to get back on that part: Those don't need to be in an RPG to have this.
Detroit: Become Human isn't an RPG, yet still have that kind of choices.

RPG also have stats, and use them to resolve how actions turns out.
If everyone get the same result regardless of their build, then it's no RPG.
Ok, I actually agree with you now that I see your point of view better.

At the very least, a test of Cool would have been appreciated.

You mean wasn't hit in the head, kicked to the ground, had an unauthorized access to datalink and arm twisted while being aimed at by guns?

I am actually with Kakita here. I am not one to advocate impossibly many options to a given scene, but the way the gorilla gets the drop on V REALLY grinds my gears. Maybe this is early in the game and V is portrayed as something of a noob, or maybe a different kind of character build than the combat cyborg with razor reflexes I am imagining.

Ah -- nvm -- semantic disagreement. My use of "bullying" means that the victim is somehow subjected in the end (indicating V was forced to do something she didn't want to). I get what you mean.

Still disagree, though. ;) We can't control what other people do. We can only control our response. (I'll come back to this again below.) And, V could have resisted. The option appeared more than once. How do we know that doing so necessarily meant combat? How do we know that some of that Facedown / COOL stuff would not play into that option?

This is a major problem with letting people view a work-in-progress. The audience can very easily misconstrue what they are shown as somehow being comprehensive or final. Speculations and assumptions (based on the tiny taste the audience was given) begin take precedence over the reality of the entire project (which the audience was NOT shown). This is why many developers choose to remain buttoned up until they have something more finalized to show.

I certainly don't view social as being divided between "Rambo" and "Care Bears". In fact, if anything, I need to try to cut back on the sheer spectrum of considerations I normally take into account. :p

And here we come back to our actions vs. other's actions...and the extremely important, parallel concern of evolving a narrative arc. I can't stress the importance of this consideration enough. The arc up to this point in the demo is as follows:

1.) We know that Stout's personality is aggressive and (as the commentary specifically indicates to help set the stage) "high-strung".

2.) We know that Stout has little respect for V, as Stout directly scoffs at her and tries to bully her into making a mistake on the phone with: "Ugh...amateur hour..." It's made blatantly obvious to the audience that Stout is an aggressive and vicious character who's also not the sharpest tool in the shed (as evidenced by her petty attempts to appear intimidating and superior).

3.) We know that something must have happened to make Stout so stressed and furious, and she doesn't seem interested in "talking it out" or "being reasonable". She's clearly the type of person that's going to take the shortest distance between two points.

4.) We know that both V and Jackie don't like the look or feel of the situation when they scope out the meeting place.

5.) We know that V expects things to get rough, as she specifically tells Jackie not to start unless she does. Then she walks straight in.

She does it on purpose. V knows she's going to be tackled. Is it a risk? Hell yes. The narrative could not be broadcasting V's expectations or intent any more clearly. And the situation pans out exactly as V expects it to. V is in control of that situation, not the corpos...as long as the player handles it smartly. (Being a strong solo with a high melee ability probably means disarming the guard and reversing the gun, Jackie firing a warning shot, and turning the whole situation into the "facedown" you reference. [Just like we see later on when V and Jackie wind up drawing on the gangsters...before everyone holsters the guns and gets on with business...now that the pleasentires are concluded and they're satisfied that they all have the same sized tube-sock in their pants...])

Most importantly -- it follows the established narrative arc to deliver the scene that was clearly established through the dramatic action up to that point.

Now...

Not liking the way the scene was played is perfectly fine, but that doesn't invalidate the fact that a large array of RPG options are more than evident.

Sure. I agree that it could have been used. Maybe that's exactly how it is being used. The reality is: we don't know. We were shown only one, possible pathway through that (relatively tiny) encounter. We have no idea how the other options would have played out. If we're going to speculate, then we have to take the evidence that we are provided. To simply disregard that evidence and/or assume that the results would be unsatisfactory is an invalid argumentative stance. (That's speculation based on information we don't have, not inference based on information we do have. [By which I mean the various dialogue options we do see, not their respective scenes we don't see.])

And, I'll also say that having every tense encounter begin with a character trying to front up, all tuff-and-stuff...then end with them clearing their throat and backing down...will get old really fast. Sometimes, you just meet people with rocks for brains. Sometimes, you have to deal with people that start swinging instead of asking questions. (That doesn't mean you can't avoid an outright combat encounter, it simply means some NPCs will hit first and think later.) That's life.

It's also variety. And that's super important if you're trying to drive dramatic action along a narrative arc. (Once again, whether or not I like this will boil down to preference. If I just don't care for it, then that's that.)

And it's not uncommon for corpos to be outright hostile, simply put a few rounds in people, and take what they want.

Taking this whole discussion into consideration, I think most people's responses are based on the fact that the demo showed only very basic, establishing scenes of the game's story (for obvious reasons), and took a path that was pretty combat-focused. I'm also very much under the impression that the "fight" in the factory is both specifically built to showcase combat options and does not reflect how that sequence would actually have gone. (I think it was intentionally drawn out to exhibit all the bits of combat they wanted to share.) It's also shows only one pathway through each of the scenes. All of this is likely because that's what was ready for this WiP demo of a very early build of the game in which everything was subject to change. Can't place too much weight on it. It was only a taste of some of the ingredients. Not the full pizza ready to be served.

I will say, however, that I would have handled the demo differently. (Though, caveat: I have no idea if this would have been possible with the build that was available at the time.) Here's the way I'm thinking:

CDPR is claiming that the game will be an RPG first with shooter elements. I would have avoided showing so much shooting. Ideally, I would have shown a shorter bit of the game, but highlighted 3 pathways through it, showcasing the RPG aspects and how differently the scenes would play out. At the very least, I would have shown the deal for the bot going bad, highlighting some combat stuff (not so much, though), then gone back and exhibited a playthrough of buying the bot that avoided all combat. Something solid to show just how visceral the RPG aspects would be.

Simply because that wasn't done for the demo doesn't mean it won't be there. The evidence exists in piles that it will be there. The options for the dialogue were there. The Directive Scene System is not an easy bit of technology to develop or incorporate if CDPR intends for all choices to lead to the same outcomes. I think the game will wind up surprising a lot of people that are convinced it won't achieve its goals.

Still disagree, though. ;) We can't control what other people do. We can only control our response. (I'll come back to this again below.) And, V could have resisted. The option appeared more than once.

The option appeared after the grief is done, not when it start. I'll use D&D4 terms, as it is very precise ( https://dnd4.fandom.com/wiki/Action ): I don't care about "immediate reaction" as it doesn't stop your cyberninja to end up on the ground like a rookie (which is what the demo show: you can resist, but only after having automatically eat the dirt), I'm looking for "immediate interrupt" which prevent you from impersonating a mop with your face.

How do we know that some of that Facedown / COOL stuff would not play into that option?

Then it's not visible in the demo.
Or that the Facedown failed.

This is a major problem with letting people view a work-in-progress. The audience can very easily misconstrue what they are shown as somehow being comprehensive or final. Speculations and assumptions (based on the tiny taste the audience was given) begin take precedence over the reality of the entire project (which the audience was NOT shown). This is why many developers choose to remain buttoned up until they have something more finalized to show.

Actually there's an easy workaround: for things that casual gamers doesn't care, you don't have to show a video. Just explain how the crunch works with a text.

Something like: "When things are about to get physical, your character oppose his COOL+reputation VS the enemy leader COOL+reputation. If you win that "Facedown test", your actually get the psychological ascend of your opponents, which, depending on the situation, may makes them subdue, just unwilling to fight, or just makes them panic enough to affect their ability to fight."

1.) We know that Stout's personality is aggressive and (as the commentary specifically indicates to help set the stage) "high-strung".

2.) We know that Stout has little respect for V, as Stout directly scoffs at her and tries to bully her into making a mistake on the phone with: "Ugh...amateur hour..." It's made blatantly obvious to the audience that Stout is an aggressive and vicious character who's also not the sharpest tool in the shed (as evidenced by her petty attempts to appear intimidating and superior).

3.) We know that something must have happened to make Stout so stressed and furious, and she doesn't seem interested in "talking it out" or "being reasonable". She's clearly the type of person that's going to take the shortest distance between two points.

It doesn't mean things will be automatics. People doesn't react the same whoever they have in front of them. That's why stats are there.
For example I don't imaging Stout bodyguard wanting to grab Marvel's Hulk (even if he doesn't know who the Hulk actually is). That's what COOL (which represent how tough the characer appears to other) and facedown test are for.

The narrative could not be broadcasting V's expectations or intent any more clearly. And the situation pans out exactly as V expects it to.

Imho, when you don't care about the stats (which are just an abstract way to represent concrete things), you're getting out of RPG.

(Being a strong solo with a high melee ability probably means disarming the guard and reversing the gun, Jackie firing a warning shot, and turning the whole situation into the "facedown" you reference.

Minus:
-Why wait to give the option to "disarming the guard and reversing the gun"? It could have been done from the beginning. Actually it would even be more logical to do it before than after (because easely subdued V is a lot less credidble to suddently turn into a ninja, and that it's a lot easier to fight back when you're on your feets and that you're being attacked the the handle of an handgun that when you're on your back and that the bodyguard just have to pull the trigger to end you).
-Facedown isn't really active intimidation. It's a passive way to show who's the Alpha when peoples meets. You see The Hulk, you leave him be, because he's too COOL (intimidating) for you.

Most importantly -- it follows the established narrative arc to deliver the scene that was clearly established through the dramatic action up to that point.

Your point is that all thing should automatically resolve without taking into account which V is actually played, like in an adventure game with branching narrative. I just disagree with that.
Wildly different people doing the same choices shouldn't have the same results.

And, I'll also say that having every tense encounter begin with a character trying to front up, all tuff-and-stuff...then end with them clearing their throat and backing down...will get old really fast.

It's just one way of building a character. It's no different that a Murder Hobo killing everything on his path.
Besides, facedown doesn't mean there will be no fight, just that people are shitting in heir pants, meaning their ability to fight is severely nerfed and that you'll have an easier job getting the upper hand.

Sometimes, you just meet people with rocks for brains. Sometimes, you have to deal with people that start swinging instead of asking questions. (That doesn't mean you can't avoid an outright combat encounter, it simply means some NPCs will hit first and think later.) That's life.

Yep. And sometimes you just cannot win fights too. Does that mean we will see that? V taking bad decisions which leads him into a fight that he automatically lose?
Or like I said a while before, is that limited to social action because of that meta-thinking:"As long as the player doesn't die from it it's not a problem?"

And it's not uncommon for corpos to be outright hostile, simply put a few rounds in people, and take what they want.

Yup. And they do that considering percieved danger (They won't do that if they think they'll die doing it. Well, almost everytime...). And what is supposed to represent "percieved danger" in Cyberpunk?
Facedown test.

Top Bottom