Is there a way to get REDmod if it's blocked on steam in my country?

+
I'm nearing the end of my playthrough after PL release and want to have fun with mods. Unfortunately it's blocked in my country and I can't download it through steam. Is there any work around?

I guess you could try to circumvent this with a good VPN.

Getting the installer through GOG would probably be easier but I don't think the GOG version would work with the Steam version of the game

Luckily for you, the vast majority of mods do not require REDmod. That minority of mods that does require REDmod typically offers non REDmod versions too.

There are some important frameworks to grab for most mods to work (CET, RED4ex and redscript are the basics). REDmod is not a necessity to mod your game.

I have to say, that's a really weird thing to block. Do you know on what basis it's blocked? Simply disallowing user made modifications to products?

Out of curiosity, and if you're comfortable with answering of course, what country are you speaking of?

Last edited:
RedMods are getting scarce and most mods don't require it.

Go to nexusmods and find your favourite mods there, 99.99% don't require redmod to activate.

there is an offline version according to nexus at github where it can be downloaded.. details here https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14748

and an offline version as well right here https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/modding-support
I've tried these before. There's no GitHub link there. Nexus mode page just refers to the second link you've posted. And it just tells you to download REDmod on steam/gog/epic. Other links are tools for mo creation and don't actually contain REDmod
Post automatically merged:

I guess you could try to circumvent this with a good VPN.

Getting the installer through GOG would probably be easier but I don't think the GOG version would work with the Steam version of the game

Luckily for you, the vast majority of mods do not require REDmod. That minority of mods that does require REDmod typically offers non REDmod versions too.

There are some important frameworks to grab for most mods to work (CET, RED4ex and redscript are the basics). REDmod is not a necessity to mod your game.

I have to say, that's a really weird thing to block. Do you know on what basis it's blocked? Simply disallowing user made modifications to products?

Out of curiosity, and if you're comfortable with answering of course, what country are you speaking of?
Idk if VPN would help. I've tried it and it still says it's blocked in my region. Probably has something to do with the region/country your steam account that's listed in your profile.

I want to use REDmod because it has auto update for the mods or at least makes it easier(to my understanding a least). i imagine updating all your mods if you have a lot of those for each new game version can be a drag, especially if the creator doesn't update it or is really slow with it.

The game itself is blocked in my country. Luckily I've bought it on release back in 2020 and I have PL thanks to a friend who lives in EU. And to answer your last question I live in Russia

Last edited:
I've tried these before. There's no GitHub link there. Nexus mode page just refers to the second link you've posted. And it just tells you to download REDmod on steam/gog/epic. Other links are tools for mo creation and don't actually contain REDmod
Post automatically merged:

Idk if VPN would help. I've tried it and it still says it's blocked in my region. Probably has something to do with the region/country your steam account that's listed in your profile.

I want to use REDmod because it has auto update for the mods or at least makes it easier(to my understanding a least). i imagine updating all your mods if you have a lot of those for each new game version can be a drag, especially if the creator doesn't update it or is really slow with it.

The game itself is blocked in my country. Luckily I've bought it on release back in 2020 and I have PL thanks to a friend who lives in EU. And to answer your last question I live in Russia

Ooooh, Russia, right, I forgot CDPR had halted sales of all their products in Russia.

As far as VPNs go, the reason it most likely didn't work is because not all of them are able to fool Steam. You would have to look around and try to figure out which ones can still do it - if any. I did it years ago to get access to a game that was releasing earlier in another country but these days they actually launch at the same time across the world so I haven't kept up to date with VPNs that could help you.

As for REDmod itself, I'm not sure where you got that impression that REDmod updates mods itself. It doesn't. You would still have to go on Nexus, get the latest version and replace the files in the appropriate folder. Furthermore, most REDmod enabled mods still require the basic frameworks which are not REDmod enabled.

In other words, REDmod wouldn't spare you from the trouble that is updating mods.

Alternatively, Vortex (Nexus' own mod manager) does offer functionalities to make updating easier. Including auto updating mods but that functionality requires a premium subscription and isn't available for all mods. I also can't stress enough that it's not an amazing mod manager (although it's always getting better) but I think it's the only one that supports CP2077. I personally prefer to do it all manually.

I believe the redmod you download and install separately are tools for creating mods.

I'm on epic and use mods and did not have to download anything special, Apparently the redmod enable button becomes visible once you first install a redmod mod, I use vortex on nexus.

you can just download non redmod mods and place them in \Cyberpunk2077\archive\pc\mod this directory

the red mod mods download them to Cyberpunk2077\mods and have a few extra bits giving info about the mod but they can all be installed manually if you do not wish to use a mod manager

(I've had an issue with one or two redmod meshes and have ended up just finding the archive file and placing it in the old place \Cyberpunk2077\archive\pc\mod and they work fine)

a few important mods do not follow this rule like (cyber engine tweaks and redscript but vortex just puts them in place nicely or you can do it manually)

Ooooh, Russia, right, I forgot CDPR had halted sales of all their products in Russia.

As far as VPNs go, the reason it most likely didn't work is because not all of them are able to fool Steam. You would have to look around and try to figure out which ones can still do it - if any. I did it years ago to get access to a game that was releasing earlier in another country but these days they actually launch at the same time across the world so I haven't kept up to date with VPNs that could help you.

As for REDmod itself, I'm not sure where you got that impression that REDmod updates mods itself. It doesn't. You would still have to go on Nexus, get the latest version and replace the files in the appropriate folder. Furthermore, most REDmod enabled mods still require the basic frameworks which are not REDmod enabled.

In other words, REDmod wouldn't spare you from the trouble that is updating mods.

Alternatively, Vortex (Nexus' own mod manager) does offer functionalities to make updating easier. Including auto updating mods but that functionality requires a premium subscription and isn't available for all mods. I also can't stress enough that it's not an amazing mod manager (although it's always getting better) but I think it's the only one that supports CP2077. I personally prefer to do it all manually.
I believe the redmod you download and install separately are tools for creating mods.

I'm on epic and use mods and did not have to download anything special, Apparently the redmod enable button becomes visible once you first install a redmod mod, I use vortex on nexus.

you can just download non redmod mods and place them in \Cyberpunk2077\archive\pc\mod this directory

the red mod mods download them to Cyberpunk2077\mods and have a few extra bits giving info about the mod but they can all be installed manually if you do not wish to use a mod manager

(I've had an issue with one or two redmod meshes and have ended up just finding the archive file and placing it in the old place \Cyberpunk2077\archive\pc\mod and they work fine)

a few important mods do not follow this rule like (cyber engine tweaks and redscript but vortex just puts them in place nicely or you can do it manually)
Then what's the point of REDmod if it doesn't provide anything new or add framework for the mods?

Then what's the point of REDmod if it doesn't provide anything new or add framework for the mods?

Heh, I read your question and all I could do is actually chuckle at it. Because, frankly, nothing much as far as mod users are concerned.

It was largely meant to be a toolkit to create mods.

It did provide additional insight for mod creators but it's not catching on and creators are still largely working with other tools because, well, REDmod just didn't add what it needed to add. It just wasn't what everyone was hoping it would be. We were hoping for an actual toolkit similar to what Bethesda releases.

It does allow you to turn off REDmod mods off all at once to troubleshoot if need be but it can only turn off REDmod mods. Depending on the mods you want, you would still need the frameworks that the community made which are not REDmod mods. Chances are, you will want mods that require those frameworks. The vast majority of mods on Nexus do in fact.

Vortex would also allow you to uninstall all mods at the same time by the way. Either method isn't exactly clean though and would leave traces in your game/save files.

Frankly, all in all, there isn't much use for REDmod from your standpoind unless you want a mod that requires it and offers no non-REDmod alternative.

Top Bottom