Is there a happy ending?

+
So i just did my first playthrough (without any external info, just my own choices) and ended up 2 years later, without Johnny but also without Judy, which is unacceptable? Feels too much like the Hanako ending, too depressing, I was really hoping V would get a happy ending with Judy

Is there a happy ending in PL where i do end up with Judy or is the Panam route the only way. I know i could look them up on youtube but I just need to know IF there is one and what choice/s I need to make as I want to experience the ending myself if its there

EDIT: I assume you cant go back to free roam after the PL ending like you can with the vanilla endings?

Last edited:
No, there isn't. They totally ignored the importance of any other choice you make in the main game for the sake of telling a specific story, which would be fine within the context of the expansion itself but total horseshit when factoring in, you know, the main game and also no, you can't free roam after PL. You're supposed to get the pop up to reload the point of no return save but it didn't function for me.

So the whole expansion, in terms of V's survival, was completely pointless?

I thought CDPR were supposed to be good at writing stories....considering the 'can do anything' nature of the Cyberpunk world they could have given us a decent ending, even if you have to really work for it.

I cant believe I wasted 30 hours only to stick with the Panam ending with a few more guns and vehicles

I'm fucking depressed now....they had better really knock it out of the park with the sequel...I know Cyberpunk isnt known for happy endings but fuck it...I hate feeling down when i get to the end of a story

Last edited:
I cant believe I wasted 30 hours
Did you enjoy playing before the ending?
If yes, why do you find it a waste now?
If no, why did you continue for 30 hours?

I don't understand people's obsession with endings. A 3 hour movie, a 1000 page book, a 100 hour game all are so much more than just the ending.

I'm fucking depressed now
No. You are not depressed, you are upset.
If you should happen to be depressed please seek help. Depression is serious. Finding a game's ending not to your liking is not.

Yup, the happiest ending is The Star (Panam route), this is probably the best case scenario if you want to ride off into the sunset with Judy.
So the whole expansion, in terms of V's survival, was completely pointless?
The cure business was the same carrot on a stick, yeah. Best not to chase that one.
It wasn't a waste though; I think helping Songbird escape is a positive enough outcome for Phantom Liberty.
I know Cyberpunk isnt known for happy endings but fuck it...I hate feeling down when i get to the end of a story
It's funny because I remember seminal cyberpunk stuff like Johnny Mnemonic and Hardwired having hopeful endings.

I know when I first finished CP2077's story it was like post-book depression. We spent all those hours in this world, loved the characters, being someone else (if you were RPing), getting attached to the whole thing, and it all gets taken away. I don't find most of them satisfying conclusions.

I just got done with a mission in Phatom Liberty where the playthrough just hit me wrong, one of those...no good choice. So I broke my golden rule and decided to see where this is going to go. What I found is that there (once again) is no 'good' ending. Running off into the sunset with Panam is not a good ending either, but that's just me.

What makes no sense to me is, after spending hours playing this game and now the expansion...just to have your character die?, in one fashion or the other. Anyway, doesn't make sense to me and I'm pretty sure I'm in a very small minority. I play a game for enjoyment, have fun and to feel that I have accomplished something, not to get depressed.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm already aware the it's a dark gritty world, I get that, but it is a game and there should be a way to accomplish one good ending as one of the choices.

There isn't really an ending that is the best; each ending has its own positives and negatives, and it's up to each person to determine what they feel is subjectively the best.

I think a lot of people came into Phantom Liberty hoping it would have the objective "best" ending for V, but from a consumer perspective, I don't think that would have been a good idea, as locking the best ending behind a paid expansion just seems anti-consumer to me.

Instead, Phantom Liberty introduces an alternative ending that some people might prefer, but it doesn't overshadow the launch endings, which I think was the better route for CDPR. In fact, my favorite way to end the game after the expansion is King of Wands into the Sun ending.

While the endings flavors go from bad to bittersweet, most have very hopeful and very open endings, even if seemingly illogical.

For example, Panam's ending might seem like a "ride out to the sunset" and be with family and loved ones til the end, and while the Aldecaldos and Wraiths feel like desert hobos, Nomads do have their own corps and advanced technology. So it's not that farfetched for V, with the help of the new leader of the Aldecaldos, to link up with Metacorp or some other similar group. Even the Arasaka ending can be seen as a means to survive, same with Blue Eye's promise for the cure, which is probably the closest to what So Mi promised anyway.

I know when I first finished CP2077's story it was like post-book depression. We spent all those hours in this world, loved the characters, being someone else (if you were RPing), getting attached to the whole thing, and it all gets taken away. I don't find most of them satisfying conclusions.
Yes, this is it exactly, after the bittersweet vanilla endings I was hoping for something more with this expansion.

And yes I did enjoy my 30 hours but I was only playing for a better ending which I didnt get

Oh and i know depression is a serious thing, I used it incorrectly but I definitely feel on a downer after PL, I felt the same after MAss Effect and Life is Strange which both had endings leaving you upset and with lots of questions and no closure

So i just did my first playthrough (without any external info, just my own choices) and ended up 2 years later, without Johnny but also without Judy, which is unacceptable? Feels too much like the Hanako ending, too depressing, I was really hoping V would get a happy ending with Judy
The bolded doesn't match with the underscored. Which is it?

I just took a look at the Phantom Liberty trailers.

Songbird says: You want to live? I can help you...
The whole DLC is build on the player's wish for a "happy ending" - meaning a cure for our "V"s.

For me I can say I definitely bought PL for the promise of a better ending.
So now I'm really, really disappointed, upset and I feel cheated by CDPR for enticing me with this seemingly not happening cure.

Shame on you, CDPR! This is definitely unfair.

Yes - I enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077 so far (except the endings) and played it for many hours.
But - fix all the bugs or not - without the promoted cure I will always remember Phantom Liberty as a broken promise.

The whole DLC is build on the player's wish for a "happy ending" - meaning a cure for our "V"s.

So now I'm really, really disappointed, upset and I feel cheated by CDPR for enticing me with this seemingly not happening cure.
In the trailer, doesn't Johnny say "How many times you will take a bullet in the name of empty promises?"
Johnny often say bullshits, but sometimes, he's right :giggle:

I just took a look at the Phantom Liberty trailers.

Shame on you, CDPR! This is definitely unfair.

Yes - I enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077 so far (except the endings) and played it for many hours.
But - fix all the bugs or not - without the promoted cure I will always remember Phantom Liberty as a broken promise.
I'm kind of in the same boat here, I now have a sort of love / hate thing going on with the game. While I understand those who know the Cyber Punk universe better than I do and play the game as such, go for it. But I really am not sure what to think on a personal level. For now, I decided to let this one rest for awhile before I go back in game. I won't say ' shame on you CDPR', but I will say, this one could have more choices...best way I can put it. Anyway, just have to go with it, but I will wait for a while.

It's an open ending, so I'll take the ones that make V happy upfront, rather than those that suggest they might be happy later.

The Cyberpunk Universe might be known for bad luck and so on.
But not everything in this game is bad and not everyone seems to be a 'misfortune child'..
There's already so much danger and so many sad experiences ingame, like all those sick or killed joy toys, npcs doing suicide etc.

And now so many endings - but in fact they are all the same.
A good ending could be optional and so a choice for those who like it - like the trailers promised.

So no fun in going on playing for me.. :(

The Cyberpunk Universe might be known for bad luck and so on.
But not everything in this game is bad and not everyone seems to be a 'misfortune child'..
There's already so much danger and so many sad experiences ingame, like all those sick or killed joy toys, npcs doing suicide etc.

And now so many endings - but in fact they are all the same.
A good ending could be optional and so a choice for those who like it - like the trailers promised.

So no fun in going on playing for me.. :(
Whilst I agree I will jump back into the game now and again, just to drive around the city, which never disappoints

@Chugster2204

Besides the unpleasant endings CB 2077 is at the moment in such a bad condition with all those bugs, it's easy for me to not play it now.
Hopefully the next patch(es) will fix at least the major bugs. If that, I still have many quests to do, so I will do the same - without coming near to any ends. Just cruising with my fixed quadra type-66 'wingate' (or some of the other cars a damned char really needs)...

Honestly? I thought that was a real nice ending. Maybe it's because I'm a part of the older generation, so I've seen people come and go, relationships fade, friendships disappear.. the difference here is, V is still young, she has her whole life ahead of her now. So what if she won't be a merc anymore? The job could have killed her at any time. Now she can make new friends, relax, travel, find someone to love and maybe marry, grow old together, have children. It's not like she's poor after all that, the eddies are one thing that wouldn't have disappeared. That wry little smile on her face before she turns and walks off into the crowd says it all, there's so much to look forward to now she won't have people gunning for her at every turn. First thing she needs to do is get out of Night City, that place is a hell hole.

Edit: Also! Even though Johnny had to die for her to live, she still managed to fulfil his dream of seeing Arasaka gone. He thought he'd done it the first time by blowing up the building, but this time they're completely pulling out of the city and falling apart as a company.

Last edited:
Top Bottom