Kernal-Power (41) crashes rondomly during gameplay

+
Specs:
850W PSU
EVGA xc4 ultra gaming 3080
ryzen 2600
16gb corsair 3000 vengeance ram

I get this randomly during gameplay - buying items from the store, fighting, driving around - no real pattern. Sometimes I get a few hours of gameplay, sometimes a few minutes, where my entire PC restarts and I lose any progress.

It only happens on cyberpunk, no other game has this issue.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I've tried verifying the game files, with nothing found, I've made edits to increase performance, and that didn't help. The most updated drivers and firmware with clean installs. Tried turning off RT, lowering settings.

It seems correlated to the 3080 and cyberpunk, as I didn't have any crashes with the 1060 (didn't have any frames either)

It's either a PSU or motherboard issue. Probably PSU. I'd expect you'd be able to hear some coil whine if it's the PSU.

Hmm... It's possible (for testing purposes) to limit the power your GPU uses to a specific WATTAGE from the commandline -- I used to do that during crypto mining on boxes with 3 GPUs to limit the power draw. Search your systemdrive for "nvidia-smi.exe" -- I'm not 100% certain it's available under win10, but I'd assume it is.

For example (on my system with 1070ti):

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI>nvidia-smi.exe -pl 100
Power limit for GPU 00000000:01:00.0 was set to 100.00 W from 180.00 W.
All done.

I just checked, and a 3080 uses 350 watts?
Try limiting it to 300 or something. See what happens.

Last edited:
It's either a PSU or motherboard issue. Probably PSU. I'd expect you'd be able to hear some coil whine if it's the PSU.

Hmm... It's possible (for testing purposes) to limit the power your GPU uses to a specific WATTAGE from the commandline -- I used to do that during crypto mining on boxes with 3 GPUs to limit the power draw. Search your systemdrive for "nvidia-smi.exe" -- I'm not 100% certain it's available under win10, but I'd assume it is.

For example (on my system with 1070ti):

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI>nvidia-smi.exe -pl 100
Power limit for GPU 00000000:01:00.0 was set to 100.00 W from 180.00 W.
All done.

I just checked, and a 3080 uses 350 watts?
Try limiting it to 300 or something. See what happens.

Hi daemojax - Thanks for the tips - I used EVGA Precision X1 to lower the target power to 85% which should hopefully do the same thing - the "nvidia-smi.exe" was actually in the system32 folder instead of nvidia corp folder, so I decided to do this maybe a bit easier way.

Thanks - I'll report back to see if any more crashed come out of this.
Post automatically merged:

Think I figured it out, it was the opposite, dropped to 85,instant crash, bumped to 105, smooth sailing.
Post automatically merged:

Ope - I lied, crashed again jacking into an access point. No such luck

Last edited:
Top Bottom