Low GPU usage

+
This all sounds like intelligent stuff I don't understand, but sounds like we both see the same - gpu's not hitting 100% but cpu's fluctuating and FPS no where near maxing out. I think it must be game optimisation, again I don't profess to know much, but I guess this game has been developed on an evolution of what CDPR used for W3, so it just seems weird that this game is all over the shop and I'm only trying 1080p - c'mon according to Steam like majority of pc gamers use gtx 1060 on a 24in 1080p monitor running 75hz. Feels like this game is only made to satisfy 4k ultra everything nvidia/intel pairings.

Nah, if it's a disaster to run at 1080p, it's a disaster to run at every res. It's just horrible optimization. As for the lingo I used, it was just expressing that no matter how good or bad your hardware is, you're still going to get crap performance in a lot of poorly optimized areas of the game, because this game doesn't utilize them anywhere near fully.

Nah, if it's a disaster to run at 1080p, it's a disaster to run at every res. It's just horrible optimization. As for the lingo I used, it was just expressing that no matter how good or bad your hardware is, you're still going to get crap performance in a lot of poorly optimized areas of the game, because this game doesn't utilize them anywhere near fully.
Ah got ya! yeah it seems to only look good if I run all settings at ultra, turn all RT options on and limit DLSS to balanced, then my GPU usage seems to go to 90-100% but then my CPU is sitting lower around 60%ish. but now I seem to get frame spikes more - jumping from 45-75fps. Hopefully they optimise more soon

Ah got ya! yeah it seems to only look good if I run all settings at ultra, turn all RT options on and limit DLSS to balanced, then my GPU usage seems to go to 90-100% but then my CPU is sitting lower around 60%ish. but now I seem to get frame spikes more - jumping from 45-75fps. Hopefully they optimise more soon

60% CPU isn't bad. That's actually a lot for a game depending on how many cores and threads you have. But I bet if you watch that number throughout your travels in game, you'll see it plummet periodically on a scene by scene basis. That's the problem. The game's meant to be run with Raytracing and DLSS. Their DLSS implementation is pretty bizarre though, like a lot of things in this game. It costs too much performance, but it might just seem that way because of how bad the game runs overall. RT options like RT Shadows cost considerable performance even though they only work at certain times of day, outdoors only, or within certain distance of specific light sources like street lights. It's all so tedious and dumb. They're surprisingly lackluster compared to other games with RT Shadows. It's also pretty dumb that they tied Global Illumination to only working when you enable RT Lighting - Psycho. That preset costs considerable performance, even though the GI only works in Sunlight from what I hear. Global Illumination should've had its own separate toggle.

I'm not sweating it anymore though. If the game ends up being a shitshow for the ages, so be it. I've got a backlog of like 100 titles to play. But if they fix it up in the near future and release a modkit, modders will improve the visuals and make it into the game it was supposed to be. I'll just come back to it then. Or write it off forever if it never gets there, and make fun of CDPR every time they go to release a new title in the future...provided they survive the class action suit coming their way.

Last edited:
I have low gpu usage in night city, graphic preset ultra + RT ultra, dlss - auto, fullHD.
Gpu usage: 60-70%
Cpu usage: 50%
Fps: 45 - 55

● CPU. AMD Ryzen 5 3600
● GPU. Palit RTX 3070 gaming pro OC
● Ram. Kingston HyperX Fury HX436C17FB3R2/16 2x8Gb 3933mhz
● Motherboard. ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME X570-P
● SSD: NVMe m2 Samsung evo 970 plus 500gb
● PSU. Bequiet! PURE POWER 11 600W CM Gold® (BN298)
● OS: Windows 10 Pro, version: 20H2, 64 bit, build: 19042.685 (last updated)

● Software Use Recording
● (MSI Afterburner) - performance monitoring
● Driver Version: Nvidia 460.79 (clean installation with DDU)

There's a Ryzen 6-core bug where SMT is not being used. I thought this was supposedly fixed in 1.06. If not there's a Nexus Mod I think that corrects this. As well as a HexEdit fix. If you're only using 6 of your 12 threads that's the issue. Once SMT is engaged your GPU should be leveraged to full capacity.

There's a Ryzen 6-core bug where SMT is not being used. I thought this was supposedly fixed in 1.06. If not there's a Nexus Mod I think that corrects this. As well as a HexEdit fix. If you're only using 6 of your 12 threads that's the issue. Once SMT is engaged your GPU should be leveraged to full capacity.

I've used the HEX Edit and the various Nexus compilers that do the same. GPU usage still says tanked in the 60-70% range with no power limiting and a decent OC. It's not SMT or the lack of causing this utilization problem. I've even tried playing the game with SMT actually disabled (sometimes improves performance in games.) It made things even worse.

What does your CPU and GPU usage look like in a benchmark? Or other games? Naturally, a CPU bottleneck looks just like what you describe...except the CPU will most likely be more tanked while the GPU is only partially operating. A GPU bottleneck will show a 90%+ GPU usage, while the CPU is twiddling its thumbs. I would think though that a 3600 is plenty for a 3070?

Hola con rtx activado en configuraciones ultra medias en Cyberpunk 2077, la gpu tiene un uso bajo, como alrededor del 60-85%, dependiendo del área, si deshabilito dlss obtuve un uso de gpu del 99% y fps similares alrededor de 40 a 65 fps, grava la cpu en al aire libre, el uso de la CPU es en su mayoría alrededor del 70-90% con o sin dlss (6c / 12). (He actualizado los controladores de geforce y también el juego se ejecuta desde Steam, Windows 10 de 64 bits).
Sé que tener dlss, el juego se renderiza a una resolución más baja, pero creo que no debería gravar tanto el rendimiento.
I end up playing with dlss off, it sounds really weird to do this...
¡Cualquier sugerencia será apreciada!

Last edited:
I believe it's down to CPU bottlenecks.

If your game starts running better in the badlands, no npcs are using up precious CPU time. And having a shit tom of cores helps but not as much as having a relative balance. 8 cores at 4.x GHZ is good enough for close to 0 cpu bottlenecks (assuming a 1440p resolution).

If i had to guess? From my insanely gamedev experience it might be npc pathfinding that's hurting cpu time.

Hi,
I want to play but the game is running very badly, doesn't matter if fullHD with all Low or 4k all High, the FPS are same and the only changing thing is GPU usage. The screenshot ilustrates the behavior (fullscreen play). It's unplayable, I need 45fps+ to catch freesync and hoped it will be 60fps with Medium/High 4k combination on 3950X 64GB RX6800XT and not 15-45fps regardless on the settings.

Attachments

• CB2077_fullHD_all_low.png
    CB2077_fullHD_all_low.png
    867.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hi,
I want to play but the game is running very badly, doesn't matter if fullHD with all Low or 4k all High, the FPS are same and the only changing thing is GPU usage. The screenshot ilustrates the behavior (fullscreen play). It's unplayable, I need 45fps+ to catch freesync and hoped it will be 60fps with Medium/High 4k combination on 3950X 64GB RX6800XT and not 15-45fps regardless on the settings.
You need update bios :0 AMD is issue with most game . its bottle neck
or :/
Just go use intel
*facepalm
cheer

The game uses 4-10% of the GPU for me. Although, my CPU could be bottlenecking it. I'm waiting for a Ryzen 9 5900x and I'll see if it improves anything. I get around 40FPS with Ray tracing and DLSS on. Feels like I should get more :/
Also: My only PCIe slot is sadly x8 and not x16. I just upgraded from a 1660TI and did a clean install of the drivers using Geforce Experience. I read that installing the drivers without GE could help but haven't tried it yet

Specs, if needed:

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Graphics
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64GB (2x32GB) 3200Mhz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum
Monitor 1: Asus VP249QGR
Monitor 2: ASUS VG248QE
Resolution: 1080p

Last edited:
This:
  • Windows 10 settings: CPU powerplan: "High Performance"
  • Nvidia Control Panel: "Use the advanced 3D image settings" -> Power management mode: "Prefer maximum performance"
Post automatically merged:

You need update bios :0
+1
It's easy to forget about other drivers

Last edited:
I tried everything listed here and nothing solved the issue... I found this particular spot were it will always happen after 1 or 2min driving (if someone want to test too) seems to be related to vehicle speed or passing underneath those bridges.

It seems like the gpu is switching to desktop (no load) as I noticed it lowering clocks to 1410Mhz for a milisec when this happens. 1410Mhz is my normal clock speed on desktop w/ "prefer high performance" enabled and other windows power saving features disabled.

I also understand it is normal to not have 99% load on gpu all the time, it will depend on graphics settings, resolution and on, problem is when fps drops drastically. In my case its all on ultra no raytracing 1080p, limited to 60fps. 9900k + rtx2070

I tried everything listed here and nothing solved the issue... I found this particular spot were it will always happen after 1 or 2min driving (if someone want to test too) seems to be related to vehicle speed or passing underneath those bridges.

It seems like the gpu is switching to desktop (no load) as I noticed it lowering clocks to 1410Mhz for a milisec when this happens. 1410Mhz is my normal clock speed on desktop w/ "prefer high performance" enabled and other windows power saving features disabled.

I also understand it is normal to not have 99% load on gpu all the time, it will depend on graphics settings, resolution and on, problem is when fps drops drastically. In my case its all on ultra no raytracing 1080p, limited to 60fps. 9900k + rtx2070

Same. GPU usage drops to 50%, then recovers after a second.
In my case it happend right in the middle of the area, between the two drop points.
RTX 3090 ; 1440P ; RT_Ultra+Psycho ; DLSS_Quality

Last edited:
Same. GPU usage drops to 50%, then recovers after a second.
In my case it happend right in the middle of the area, between the two drop points.
RTX 3090 ; 1440P ; RT_Ultra+Psycho ; DLSS_Quality
Yeah I get the split second frametime spikes. No matter where or what I am doing (not down to what's on screen) just get a random spike and usage drops from 99 to anything as low as 40 but more often it's around 80%.

Top Bottom