Memory leak fixed?

+
In past versions there were issues where performance was degrading over time because of a memory leak.

Basically what happened was the longer you played and reloaded save-states, your VRAM was to slowly fill up until it swapped into RAM which caused performance degradation.

However, with the newest patch 1.22 I cannot reproduce that behaviour anymore. Performance stays stable and RAM stays at 9800 MB, regardless how many save-states I reload.

Can anyone confirm? I need to run a couple of more tests before confirming it entirely, but it looks very good so far.

v1.12 allows 4 to 8 hours. Provided CP77 doesn't start crashing, and that does sometimes degrade performance. It's not memory, it's about to crash. Need to reboot the computer way before then. Yes the whole computer. CP77 will crash everything else running on computer, and everything else on computer will crash CP77. It's unstable. But in 1.12 trim or 1.22 the game has long been stable, and that allows that 4-8 hour window between reboots of the computer just to get CP77 work at least somewhat properly.

Most of us run CP77 in 1080p even on 2160p displays. We're GPU bound, and that means the GPU will be 100% most of the time for CP77 unless you spent thousands of dollars to get the absolute fastest hardware. Technically that won't even run 2160p, but we are able to do it via optimizations and the newer video cards that are super fast. You get frame drops with that, and just like TW3 you get jagged frametimes.

So instead we run CP77 in 1080p with the insane amount of post processing they put on top of this game to make it's ugly characteristics look decent. So you choose, 1080p with full post processing or 2160p with heavy optimizations. Even then you still need Nvidia driver 460.79 just to run CP77. Then contact official support if you got AMD/ATI.

Disable Vsync in the game and on the video card control panel, disable triple buffering, and then control the framerate with RIVA tuner statistic server to smooth out the frame times; which is a old TW3 trick on RED engine. That being said the game controlling the framerate isn't bad, but some of the animations won't render smooth even in 1080p on a 2160p machine. From Steam & PC Gamer @
https://www.pcgamer.com/durantes-witcher-3-analysis-the-alchemy-of-smoothness/ works on some games, but not all.

At the same time because CP77 is a unfinished, rushed, and half-baked game; it turns out that it actually looks better slightly blury. Down-scaling to 1080p blu-ray or HD while on a UHD machine/display; 2160p your full 4K, has the effect that watching some movies with the movie slightly blurry. Like DVD on a 4K TV or BluRay on a 4K TV. Some things just look better a little blurry. Combined with the heavy amount of post processing that is forced on everyone running CP77 unless they use the few mods to optimize CP77; the blurry effect actually makes the game feel better.

Like CP77 is a dirty game we got used at a swap meet. A bootleg game that someone made at home, ect. A game we wouldn't expect to be good or even work right. Instead of a super detailed AAA game in 2160p with 4K textures. The textures are still high detail at 1080p. But in 2160p somehow we expect the game to be better, because it looks the way it does; and that makes it worse when the game doesn't work or there are one of the quality issues that 99% of the game is filled with. 50% of the market is PC gaming rigs, and most of us run CP77 in 1080p just cause it's garbage anyway.

Even if I had the money for a 2080 Ti or 3060 Ti, 6900 XT, R590, ect; I wouldn't waste it by running 100% GPU the whole time I was mucking about in CP77. This is a 2020 PC gaming rig that I built to run RDR II in 2160p @ 45Hz. I can just barely run CP77 @ 30Hz, and that suffers frame drops even on 2080s. So I don't feel bad that the 30Hz drops to 26, 28, all the time. When I first started playing I just ran CP77 in 2160p, and we couldn't run our DX hooked applications like MSI afterburner, RIVA Tuner, or framerate counters. That whole time the game was running 25Hz or 26Hz maybe, and barely able to do that. Meanwhile the GPU is 100% the whole time. So at least in the long run getting the DX hooks working, so we could smooth out the frame times on a 30Hz in 1080p with the ton of post processing that CDPR forces with CP77; was establishing super smooth 30Hz to RTX or run 60Hz or above.

This is raster, no RTX. High textures High crowds, and everything else medium/low. Since then we've refined the settings to what looks and runs the best. Memory leaks are from 10 - 20 years ago. You have the evidence, but your telemetry is suggesting a cause of a symptom which is unrelated to that telemetry. You are free to call it whatever you want though. What you are experiencing is the heavy modification of RED engine to allow the game to work; which isn't exactly on the level with most software engineering.

It would take years and millions of dollars to fully dedicate software engineering to CP77 even on a skilled level instead of a much more expensive skilled and/or talented level. The most expensive part of a video game. The computer programing part. Instead they did what they had to do to get the game running, and as a consequence of that CP77 is highly unstable. CP77 will crash the whole system on all platforms. As such, it's performance, and the performance of the whole system will degrade over time.

CP77 starts degrading, reboot. This happens twice as often as normal for the general systems admin of most PC gaming rig users. Reboot every 24 hours, and that returns to back 10 to 15 years ago when we had to reboot every 4 to 8 hours, and in fact I would say most of the time when I'm playing CP77 I have to reboot Windows 10 Pro 64 after only playing the game a few times. Regularly. Even then a game can boot up wrong, a serious bug or glitch can get baked into a save game. The game can crash. The game can crash other programs running on my terminal. The game can crash the O/S. And all of those things can crash the game.

If you were really interested, contact official CDPR support. They would know the best. CDPR does have good support. Don't listen to me if you don't want. But you should contact CDPR support if you actually had a issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom