Modders, an idea for a fully functional flying helicopter [Spoilers]

+
Greetings all,

I made this thread to point out an idea for a fully functional flyable helicopter in Cyberpunk 2077.

Although any modder that would be interested could make an attempt to make it, I am specifically aiming this idea for the modders group that made the awesome Metro mod, due to being 100% convinced, if the will, the dedication and the mood is there, they can carry it out.

It comprises out of not using the Freefly mod, but the game's swim mechanic to be utilized as a fly mechanic.

Cyberpunk's swim mechanic is a highly maneuverable, 100% controller supportive system, whereas the player can fly in every direction, while simultaneously climbing and descending. And best of all, all maneuvers have momentum.

Am pretty much convinced all the swim directions, including climbing and descending, and all momentums, can be adjusted accordingly with the use of .inis, just like the vehicle .inis. Maximum fly speed, acceleration/deceleration, momentum, climb speed, descend speed, everything.

To my accounts, highly suitable for a flying helicopter.

Seeing how the Metro mod was made, based on the Brennan Apollo motorcycle and the Mahir MT28 Coach's interior, believe the modders can do the same for a flying helicopter, by making the V mesh invisible, or remove and replace it with for instance, the Caliburn, fit the Caliburn in the helicopter as a 1st person helicopter interior, adjust all swim maneuvers accordingly, mod the swim mechanic so that it activates when getting into the Caliburn, and deactivates when stepping out, and lastly, adjusting the gravity exerted on the helicopter, so that it, "hangs by a thread", insuring it'll always tips over into the direction it is going, if you understand what I mean.

Made a short vid pointing out this idea, and posted another vid showing a helicopter's behavior.

This is the sick chopper I want all this time. I'm guessing there are 2 models, a static one which is in front of Jinguji, and a life one which is being used on the attack of the Arasaka Tower roof. It should have lights, helicopter sound, and most important, rotating rotors. That one would be your best bet.

Zetatech_Valgus_Database_CP2077.png

Saw you posted that on the modding Discord. Obviously there is no point in telling you that your chances of this happening are far better by posting there.

I like the idea of a flying, fully controllable vehicle, but I have some serious doubt it's feasible with the current tools. Admittedly, my knowledge of CP2077 mod creation is highly limited. The metro had most of it's groundwork done, whereas this simply has a model. I'm also not sure I agree the swimming system is the best thing to use either. As far as I understand it myself, you are right that adding the correct lines to an .ini file would allow adjusting swimming in much detail but it would also mean that by adjusting swimming to make the helicopter's control better, you are effectively modifying swimming too. Ideally the two would be kept separate and that's the part that, I think, isn't possible at all with the current tools.

I prefer a jet pack, but I have not yet looked to see if such are in the cyberpunk universe (table game). I do love love LOVE my Fallout 4 jet pack however!

Saw you posted that on the modding Discord. Obviously there is no point in telling you that your chances of this happening are far better by posting there.

I like the idea of a flying, fully controllable vehicle, but I have some serious doubt it's feasible with the current tools. Admittedly, my knowledge of CP2077 mod creation is highly limited. The metro had most of it's groundwork done, whereas this simply has a model. I'm also not sure I agree the swimming system is the best thing to use either. As far as I understand it myself, you are right that adding the correct lines to an .ini file would allow adjusting swimming in much detail but it would also mean that by adjusting swimming to make the helicopter's control better, you are effectively modifying swimming too. Ideally the two would be kept separate and that's the part that, I think, isn't possible at all with the current tools.
I posted it on the modding Discord to raise the chances for this to be picked up. Posted it here for different reasons. Am actually fully convinced that after the Metro mod, this can be done with the current tools. T'is just a matter of whether or not modders will see anything in it.

You have a point concerning adjusting the swim mechanic could have inevitable consequences for the swimming, but the vehicle .inis don't always carry over to all the vehicles of the same type, which gives hope the swimming in the body of water will remain as is, which I think it will. Needles to say, no one can tell what will happen. In the worst case scenario, players will just have to (temporary) remove the mod if they want to swim. In the least case, you would just swim a lot faster. In my case, would gladly sacrifice the swimming to be able to fly with that sick chopper.

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
I think you would need to add a roll rotation to the swimming mechanic. It could be a problem if there's no longitudinal axis.

A: Why would you want a helicopter when there's hovercars?
B: Not likely. From what i understand, something's not mapped right in the sky, or something. Which is why there are no mods implementing said hovercars.

I prefer a jet pack, but I have not yet looked to see if such are in the cyberpunk universe (table game). I do love love LOVE my Fallout 4 jet pack however!
Once the swim mechanic has been utilized as a fly mechanic, anything including a jetpack can be made to fly in this game.

I think you would need to add a roll rotation to the swimming mechanic. It could be a problem if there's no longitudinal axis.
That is why I proposed for the modders to adjust the artificial gravity exerted onto the helicopter so, that the game treats it as if it is hanging by a cable, and illustrates helicopter behavior automatically, which means to say, that the helicopter will tip over into the direction it is flying.

A: Why would you want a helicopter when there's hovercars?
B: Not likely. From what i understand, something's not mapped right in the sky, or something. Which is why there are no mods implementing said hovercars.
A: Because I very much wanted to fly that sick looking helicopter ever since the first second I saw it, (First playthrough played as Nomad, saw it landing. Stopped to watch.), and also assumed we would. Disappointment shot up Burj Khalifa high finding out it was wholly autonomous by Cyberpunk lore, and CDPR stating to have no plans to ever deliver any sort of flying vehicle, due to the game not suitable to fly in.

I based this idea pure on the helicopter in an attempt to point out to the modders that there is a well suited mechanic in the game that, with some work, can make the helicopter fly, freely, controlled by the player. But that's because I want that helicopter above any AV. Once the swim mechanic is fully utilized as a fly mechanic, any AV, or vehicle for that matter, can be made to fly.

B: Very likely. Racing the Yaiba, I was launched Burj Khalifa high into the air tens of times. Not a single time during any of those, "flights", did I stumble on an invisible wall, or getting stuck, or flatlined, or teleported back, or some other anomaly that would indicate any issues during any eventual flight in the airspace in this game. To my accounts, "The skies are clear".

I think the reason why modders haven't come up with anything flying, is that they probably were focusing on the mechanic that is the Freefly mod. It's a wonderful mod, very well made. Only, it's not very suitable to illustrate flying vehicles, as you cannot perform "yaw" movements with the camera performing at its best. It also has no momentum whatsoever.

Don't know what this mechanic's true purpose was, but pretty sure it wasn't to make anything fly. Guessing it is the remnants of a developer's tool of some kind.

Top Bottom