Need some help improving FPS

+
Spec : Intel i5 8600K
16 gb RAM
RTX 2070 Super
SSD

I played around with a lot of the settings but I constantly hover around 30-50 FPS in game depends on what I am doing. But in game menu / inventory screen I spike up to 140 FPS ... How come the difference is so huge ?

I have all ray tracing turned on with ray tracing lighting on ultra. Almost all settings are set to Ultra / Psyco (which is what my Geforce experience recommended) DLSS on quality. I tried changing DLSS to Balance it didn't really make much difference in game .
I also tried the Windows 10 in place upgrade that some others pointed out but it didn't do anything for me.

Is my CPU limited to bottlenecking me at the moment ? I also read that for RTX 2070 Super playing in 1440P , I am bound to get around 50 FPS at most on avg..

Thanks

Here is a link for an excellent video on graphics settings for this game. It may surprise you. Everything is explained. This link was posted a few weeks ago by someone else who was having similar issues.

I don't have an RTX GPU, I'm using a Zotac GTX 1080 Ti. After watching this and adjusting my settings, I'm averaging 65 FPS @ 3440 X 1440. Not bad for an older GPU.

hope this helps, good luck.

Here is a link for an excellent video on graphics settings for this game. It may surprise you. Everything is explained. This link was posted a few weeks ago by someone else who was having similar issues.

I don't have an RTX GPU, I'm using a Zotac GTX 1080 Ti. After watching this and adjusting my settings, I'm averaging 65 FPS @ 3440 X 1440. Not bad for an older GPU.

hope this helps, good luck.

Hey thanks for the video. This did help me a little bit but not by much. I guess I am just hardware limited in one way or another :/ .. Least 30+ FPS is still playable...

iCake

Forum veteran
Your CPU is your bottleneck most likely. The game can be incredibely CPU heavy, especially with RT turned ON.

Your CPU is your bottleneck most likely. The game can be incredibely CPU heavy, especially with RT turned ON.

This game make use of CPU more than GPU ? I was under the impression that it is the opposite. Most game make use of GPU more as well. But Yes I play with RT On

iCake

Forum veteran
This game make use of CPU more than GPU ? I was under the impression that it is the opposite. Most game make use of GPU more as well. But Yes I play with RT On

Don't quite understand what you're saying, sorry. CPU and GPU work in tandem, it is not a question of which works more, it is a question of whether your CPU can calculate in-game logic as in location of objects in each frame, AI, etc fast enough to keep GPU fed so that GPU doesn't starve for data to use in actual rendering, the job GPU is designed for.

Turning RT ON adds a lot of in-game logic staff for CPU to handle first, before it sends the data onto the GPU for rendering. As in all those off-screen objects that reflect has to be handled by CPU to determine their in-game coordinates first, before you can start rendering.

Spec : Intel i5 8600K
16 gb RAM
RTX 2070 Super
SSD

I played around with a lot of the settings but I constantly hover around 30-50 FPS in game depends on what I am doing. But in game menu / inventory screen I spike up to 140 FPS ... How come the difference is so huge ?

I have all ray tracing turned on with ray tracing lighting on ultra. Almost all settings are set to Ultra / Psyco (which is what my Geforce experience recommended) DLSS on quality. I tried changing DLSS to Balance it didn't really make much difference in game .
I also tried the Windows 10 in place upgrade that some others pointed out but it didn't do anything for me.

Is my CPU limited to bottlenecking me at the moment ? I also read that for RTX 2070 Super playing in 1440P , I am bound to get around 50 FPS at most on avg..

Thanks
I am also very sure your CPU is the bottleneck here.
What you can try, is setting priority to "high".

Start game, alt-tab out.
Open task manager and go to the "details" tab.
Find the Cyberpunk2077.exe, right click, choose priority and set to "high". Confirm.

Also, the standard stuff you do in those cases: shut down all background programs you don't need.

I'm using a Ryzen 5 5600x and a RTX 3070 and it's running smoothly _most_ of the time. Cyberpunk wants a lot of power for Raytracing maxed out.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Don't quite understand what you're saying, sorry. CPU and GPU work in tandem, it is not a question of which works more, it is a question of whether your CPU can calculate in-game logic as in location of objects in each frame, AI, etc fast enough to keep GPU fed so that GPU doesn't starve for data to use in actual rendering, the job GPU is designed for.

Turning RT ON adds a lot of in-game logic staff for CPU to handle first, before it sends the data onto the GPU for rendering. As in all those off-screen objects that reflect has to be handled by CPU to determine their in-game coordinates first, before you can start rendering.

I was under the impression that they work somewhat independently of each other. But I get what you are saying. I always hear people say some game utilizes GPU more than CPU and vice versa .
Post automatically merged:

I am also very sure your CPU is the bottleneck here.
What you can try, is setting priority to "high".

Start game, alt-tab out.
Open task manager and go to the "details" tab.
Find the Cyberpunk2077.exe, right click, choose priority and set to "high". Confirm.

Also, the standard stuff you do in those cases: shut down all background programs you don't need.

I'm using a Ryzen 5 5600x and a RTX 3070 and it's running smoothly _most_ of the time. Cyberpunk wants a lot of power for Raytracing maxed out.

Good luck.

Just tried this, probably saw a 1-2% gain in FPS gain. Still better than nothing I guess..

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
I was under the impression that they work somewhat independently of each other. But I get what you are saying. I always hear people say some game utilizes GPU more than CPU and vice versa .

There's no use to think of it in such terms as "more, harder" etc. It can even be harmful to think of it like that. The bottom line here is your GPU doesn't do anything as in stay idle until CPU has prepared a frame for it. So this is where your bottleneck is, your CPU can't process in-game logic at a faster pace than your 30-50 fps, the GPU could have though, I am sure, it is just standing there, doing nothing while it waits for CPU to feed it with data for rendering.

If you were to monitor your CPU and GPU usage, actually just GPU usage would be enough, with RTSS or something similar you're most likely to see that your GPU is not being utilized to its full potential as in the load on it would be way less than 100%, especially in the areas where you get 30 fps. Just try it, I am sure that's what you'll see.

Just tried this, probably saw a 1-2% gain in FPS gain. Still better than nothing I guess..

Try crowd density on low. Might squeeze out a few more frames for you.

Last edited:
Bro update your CPU or hell your whole computer at that rate. I have a 2070 Super as well and an i7 9700K and even I know I need a 30 series card if I want 60 locked at 1440p on RT ULTRA. Get real.

Hey thanks for the video. This did help me a little bit but not by much. I guess I am just hardware limited in one way or another :/ .. Least 30+ FPS is still playable...

Don't get hung up on the ray tracing, turn it off for a while. Visually speaking, you're not missing that much. Also turn your crowd density down to low. Ray tracing may be pretty but it is a resource hog. ;)

Yeah. For older CPUs this can be a game changer though. Back with my old i5 it made games like Assassin's Creed Origins playable for me instead of a choppy mess.
In any case, a few FPS is still better than nothing.

Bro update your CPU or hell your whole computer at that rate. I have a 2070 Super as well and an i7 9700K and even I know I need a 30 series card if I want 60 locked at 1440p on RT ULTRA. Get real.

I get pretty close to 60 dps on average in game actually with my current set up. But thanks for your input. I was asking if I can possibly push over that is the point of this post. I get 145 FPS when I am in map or inventory menu as I stated earlier and the huge drop in FPS while in game down to mid 40s seems pretty steep. But then again it could be completely normal that I've learned my CPU is the issue.

Top Bottom