Netflix's The Witcher - Season 2

+
This French mentality is only a thing in the modern age. It is very recent. It was not the case back in Medieval France. Medieval France was more into Crusades and stuff rather than extolling Republican values. Just saying.

Incidental or not, it was a fact. It was the reality of those times. Why twist it for whatever modern agenda? With all its pros and cons, I don't see any reason why we need to be ashamed or even attempt to alter the past.

You were also French, German, English or Welsh based on skin pigmentation as well as based on other criteria. Language, religion, social standing were also elements that decided what nationality you were. Keep in mind that the peasantry until modern times was not regarded as part of the nation. This came much later on. The nation was the nobility, the royalty, clerics and sometimes the merchant class if they were powerful enough to exercise influence on the first 3. Needless to say, those of black skin color, in the perception of Europeans were seen as slaves or servants back then. From a religious perspective many perceived them as devils too. They were not seen as part of the nation. Most European nations did not have proper contact with other races until the last 200 years.

Maybe for you it doesn't make any difference, but for everyone who knows a thing or two about Elves it does. Elves are a product of Germanic mythology and folklore. The reason why they are portrayed as white is because of this.
Post automatically merged:

Well yeah, the game counterpart is the best. The actress portraying Fringilla was decent. She was out of place too, for obvious reasons, but she wasn't BAD. The one portraying Neneke though was cringe. Was thinking of skipping her dialogue every time she popped up. If you're gonna do force diversity, at least put a decent actor.
A good example of this is House of the Dragon: the Velaryons are described in the books as identical to the Targaryens in everything but name, but in the show they are portrayed by black actors. However, the actors are really fucking good, they have captured the essence of their characters (a more important thing than resembling the original descriptions), so now when I read Fire and Blood I imagine the Sea Snake as Steve Toussaint (nice surname, by the way).

So, it doesn't matter when the actors don't match the book description of the characters when they are great and able to capture their essence to perfection. Too bad it ain't the case in The Witcher, but in order to have that the show would have to be run by people that took it seriously :smart:.

Last edited:
Henry cavill shouldnt have been associated with a dumpster fire like this show to begin with. I loved the games, i read some of the books, but i couldnt even get through the second season it was so cringe.

Top Bottom