New website for managing Characters and Campaigns

+
New website for managing Characters and Campaigns

Hi everyone,

I started working on a website to help managing Cyberpunk 2020 campaigns and I'd love for you all to try it out.

It's in very early stages of development right now and goes under the working name of Cyberpunk.NET.

In it's current state it will help you generate characters in a few clicks (you can have it roll life path etc for you). Manual controls are also available for transferring your current characters to the site or customising a character from the ground up.

It can also be very useful for sharing characters on the web as the profile pages of characters don't require sign in, allowing you to simply copy the url and post it wherever you like.

A Google Account is required for signing in. Reason for this is both ease of use and security (I don't have to deal with storing your passwords and confirming your emails etc). But also I'm thinking that Google Hangout might be integrated in the future to allow for managing remote campaigns somehow.

Check it out at:
https://cyberpunk.herokuapp.com

And please add/vote for features you'd like for me to work on via the User Voice interface. You can find it by clicking on the widget button after signing in or by navigating to:
https://cyberpunk.uservoice.com/forums/211184-general

And finally, please help me find a good name for the site:
https://cyberpunk.uservoice.com/forums/211184-general/suggestions/4096752-new-site-name-

Note that I might not bother with feature requests if you write them as replies in this forum. Make sure to go through the uservoice site!

Be aware I'm leaving for a 1 month vacation to America tomorrow and will not be able to work on the site until end of July. But I really felt like getting the site out and getting the first feedback from actual players before heading off.

Thanks for your attention!

It's not a bad start. Not bad at all.

Could use equipment listsings for characters, (including a seperate lifestyle section,) and an extra segement wher the GM can add notes about the character.

Too good. We're going to be putting everyone in our campaign into this system, it'll be great for keeping track of everything without having to go watch 12 hours of videos.

Could use equipment listsings for characters, (including a seperate lifestyle section,) and an extra segement wher the GM can add notes about the character.

Thanks for the feedback!

Please elaborate on what should be included in the "lifestyle" section.

GM notes on characters is an awesome idea. Please add it as a feature request to uservoice.

Thanks for the feedback!

Please elaborate on what should be included in the "lifestyle" section.

GM notes on characters is an awesome idea. Please add it as a feature request to uservoice.

In a nut shell, everyhting that requires a subscriotion like recuring payment:

Apartment rental
Phone service
Cable Service
Trauma Team plan
monthly food costs
etc...

Right, that makes sense.

Btw, I deployed some more updates:
- Added a bunch of Fixer roles from the Wildside book
- Added a new link based invite system to avoid referees needing to keep track of their players gmail addresses

Purely to toot my own horn, have you ever given any thought to supporting Interlock Unlimited?

Looks fantastic so far. Certainly more accessible and game specific than Obsidian portal.

The skill section needs some work, I created a character and some of the skills are doubled. Also, it would be good to have an option to remove a pickup/chipped skill from the list.

-- Ben

Purely to toot my own horn, have you ever given any thought to supporting Interlock Unlimited?

It's unlikely, at least in this early stage, if added it would definitely have to be an opt-in thing as I'm sure plenty of people would prefer using the vanilla rules...

Though I did skim through the unlimited rules I didn't really make a thorough evaluation. Since the new rules were mixed together with the original ones it made it hard for me to see what unlimited was actually changing.

Also got a bit lost in the positive / negative traits stuff which maybe seemed a bit too complicated and hard to balance rule-wise (on this topic I think Fallout New Vegas had a really effective and simple traits system where 0-2 traits could be selected for each character - each one coming with both a positive and a negative effect).

Also I understood that you removed the empathy drop from humanity loss? That seemed a bit contradictive given the description of the damage of cybernetics implying exactly that - loss of empathy - and since the friction between humanity/empathy vs cybernetics is to me perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Cyberpunk rule set I was quite surprised by that one.

Since the app is open source a possibility for those enjoying the additions of unlimited would be to fork the code and try modifying it.

Dude - this is awesome. What's the chances of running a game through google hangout?

Well, you could do it right away but you'd have to set it up manually ;)

I imagine that building a proper hangout extension could make things real interesting though. Like having on screen character info and virtual dice etc.

If you have any ideas for this kind of things don't hesitate to create user voice suggestions.

It's unlikely, at least in this early stage, if added it would definitely have to be an opt-in thing as I'm sure plenty of people would prefer using the vanilla rules...

Though I did skim through the unlimited rules I didn't really make a thorough evaluation. Since the new rules were mixed together with the original ones it made it hard for me to see what unlimited was actually changing.

Also got a bit lost in the positive / negative traits stuff which maybe seemed a bit too complicated and hard to balance rule-wise (on this topic I think Fallout New Vegas had a really effective and simple traits system where 0-2 traits could be selected for each character - each one coming with both a positive and a negative effect).

Also I understood that you removed the empathy drop from humanity loss? That seemed a bit contradictive given the description of the damage of cybernetics implying exactly that - loss of empathy - and since the friction between humanity/empathy vs cybernetics is to me perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Cyberpunk rule set I was quite surprised by that one.

Since the app is open source a possibility for those enjoying the additions of unlimited would be to fork the code and try modifying it.

You must be looking at a really old version... as penalties and benefits section was removed from the core rules quite a long time ago and turned into it's own seperate add-on.

And IU does not eliminate EMP loss, it alters it so that necessary replacement prosthetics cost less humanity than if you voluntarily decide to just start replacing bits.... and Cyber that is not seen or directly controlled has a much lower cost, while cyber that does effect your appearance, or adds funstions not natural to the human body (such as a tail, extra limb, or a pup-up gun) cast a bit more than normal.

In terms of your thingamajig here, the biggest changes would come from the changes to roles and special abilities. And combat actions.

Oh well, this still looks pretty neat.

The skill section needs some work, I created a character and some of the skills are doubled. Also, it would be good to have an option to remove a pickup/chipped skill from the list.

I noticed some skill doubling myself though I didn't manage to pin-point what caused it. I made some changes which might stop it from ever happening again. Let's hope so :)

Remove skill button will definitely come. For now you can set skils to 0 and they won't show up in the players public page.

You must be looking at a really old version... as penalties and benefits section was removed from the core rules quite a long time ago and turned into it's own seperate add-on.

And IU does not eliminate EMP loss, it alters it so that necessary replacement prosthetics cost less humanity than if you voluntarily decide to just start replacing bits.... and Cyber that is not seen or directly controlled has a much lower cost, while cyber that does effect your appearance, or adds funstions not natural to the human body (such as a tail, extra limb, or a pup-up gun) cast a bit more than normal.

In terms of your thingamajig here, the biggest changes would come from the changes to roles and special abilities. And combat actions.

Oh well, this still looks pretty neat.

I'm sure you're right that I got hold of an old version. The links I found on your forums were all dead so I did some weird googling to find direct links to pdf-files, but I couldn't tell if they were up to date or not.

Wouldn't mind taking a look at the latest version if you could link it up!

Thanks!

To begin with one thing that should be feasible to add to the site without disturbing the vanilla experience are some of the new roles and skills.

I noticed that you mentioned getting permission from Talsorian to create the material in the intro of the pdf.

I've been worried about copy/pasting descriptions of roles and skills etc from the book to the site as I don't want to provoke any trouble regarding copyrights.

Is your experience that they are generally cool with redistributing parts of their material? How did you go about getting the OK form them?

Also do you have any technical experience with web development or does someone on your crew? I would be interested in getting help with some of the simpler (but time consuming) things like transcribing all the roles / skills / gear etc into computer readable format. For an idea what these files might look like here is the format I'm using for the roles: https://github.com/dbackeus/cyberpunk/blob/master/db/roles.yml

Edit:
Skimming through the updated core rules on the airport right now - this makes a lot more sense than the last document I looked at. Feels more like the refined Interlock I was hoping for. I'm still confused about humanity loss not affecting empathy though, here's the quote from your rules:

"Humanity is derived by multiplying the characters Emp x10. Loss to humanity does not effect the characters EMP. As humanity decreases, the character will find himself having a harder and harder time connecting, and being connected to, those around him."

I noticed that you mentioned getting permission from Talsorian to create the material in the intro of the pdf.

I've been worried about copy/pasting descriptions of roles and skills etc from the book to the site as I don't want to provoke any trouble regarding copyrights

R. Talsorian seem to be one of the most player oriented gaming companies around. They probably wouldn't have a problem. But hey, why not send Mike a messege on this forum and ask him.

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I'm really interested to see what you've put together here, as from what I've read, it sounds handy. On the other hand, I've never trusted Google enough to create an account with them.

The irony of this situation is bitter, indeed.

Top Bottom