Performance drops over time with RT overdrive

+
It seems as if when playing for extended periods of time with RT overdrive on, both my CPU and GPU get slightly more underused.
I know that with a 3800x i shouldn't expect stellar performance, but i don't think it should slowly degrade over time either.
If i reload a save both usages and fps do seem to go up in the same area...
I in particular wonder if folk with more powerful CPU's (my GPU is a 4080) are having a similar problem.

iCake

Forum veteran
That sounds like VRAM overflow - I had exactly the same thing happen on regularly RT on my 3070Ti. So, to confirm this, use a monitoring software like RivaTuner (MSI Afterburner) and check the VRAM usage when the performance starts to tank.

To answer your other question. 4090 now paired with a 5800X - performance has stayed at the same level through multiple game sessions, although I've yet to have a really long session though. Was not able to play for more than 2 hours straight. Still, 2 hours is a good time mark.

Nah, it's not VRAM overflow, it always stays below 12 and when i use higher res than 1440p it still always stays below 14 GB, so that shouldn't be the issue.
When i had a 2080 Super, i indeed had VRAM overflow, but in this game that resulted in 100 % GPU utilization whilst it dropped it's power draw, with the path tracing upgrade i see both CPU and GPU utilization drop overtime while VRAM usage stays completely fine, so no idea whats the issue.
Post automatically merged:

It's a bit strange but it appears as if just scenes you wouldn't initially expect them to be are now CPU limited in a singlethreaded manner with path tracing turned on.
This seems to be the case with indoor scenes with alot of local lights, i get lower GPU and CPU utilization in those scenes, though fps above 60.
There is definitely no VRAM overflow, at 1440pDLSSquality and framegen it didn't get higher than 12.2 GB according to MSI afterburner.
There also was a braindance that made this CPU-limit appear. The average outdoor scene though, runs at a higher rate like 80-100 fps with intensive scenes in the high 70s but still high GPU usage.
CPU limited scenes can dip into the 60s sometimes, which is when framegen can make you feel the input latency.

I also have this weird issue where pressing reload just never seems to work, like having to press it sometimes like 10 times before V starts reloading.
But no other interaction, like shooting or moving shows this issue, just reloading, very weird. So not sure if this is related to input latency.

Last edited:
Top Bottom