questions to all those whose interested in the witcher story

+
questions to all those whose interested in the witcher story

okay ,I just recently beat the game and it has one of teh best stories i have ever seen in a video game, the world is very vivid and atmosphor and it left me with many question i hope some people here can answer:1. did Sapowski write the story of the game?2. is the story of the game canonical? or did Geralt died for good in the last story3. will Sapowski write more about Geralt?4. lastly, where does the inspiration of Sapowski come from when he writes the stories? I thoght it would be interesting to have a fantasy adventure with Eastern European influence, and am a little disappoint when i look at the art/culture/influent of the witcher is very much western european i.e. french, norse, anglo-saxon. it just seems that the trend is: knights in armor are associated with fantasy, fantasy is often associated with the norse and anglo-saxon cultural influence. I have expected thewitcher to be more influenced by slavic, magyar, and central asian cultures

ausir

Forum veteran
haozwang said:
1. did Sapowski write the story of the game?
No.
2. is the story of the game canonical? or did Geralt died for good in the last story
It's more or less consistent with the existing canon (but there are still some contradictions), but Sapkowski said that if he ever writes more Geralt stories, he won't bother making it consistent with games, movies, TV series, etc.
3. will Sapowski write more about Geralt?
He said that he won't in the nearest future, but he doesn't exclude writing some later. It's still pretty unlikely, though.
4. lastly, where does the inspiration of Sapowski come from when he writes the stories? I thoght it would be interesting to have a fantasy adventure with Eastern European influence, and am a little disappoint when i look at the art/culture/influent of the witcher is very much western european i.e. french, norse, anglo-saxon. it just seems that the trend is: knights in armor are associated with fantasy, fantasy is often associated with the norse and anglo-saxon cultural influence. I have expected thewitcher to be more influenced by slavic, magyar, and central asian cultures
Sapkowski's stories have a mix of both Eastern European and Western European influences. There are parts that are Slavic in orign, but also Germanic, Celtic, etc.

haozwang said:
4. lastly, where does the inspiration of Sapowski come from when he writes the stories? I thoght it would be interesting to have a fantasy adventure with Eastern European influence, and am a little disappoint when i look at the art/culture/influent of the witcher is very much western european i.e. french, norse, anglo-saxon. it just seems that the trend is: knights in armor are associated with fantasy, fantasy is often associated with the norse and anglo-saxon cultural influence. I have expected thewitcher to be more influenced by slavic, magyar, and central asian cultures
Why do you think that eastern european culture isn't like western european? Some of the slavic and eastern european countries were under heavy influence of western culture and catholic church for example like polish, lithuanian, magyar, czech, latvian culture... If you think that eastern europe = asia than you are wrong... eastern european cultures have almost nothing in common with asian cultures... in fact the game is mostly influenced by slavic cultures, germanic and celtic culture has secondary role... and why do you think that in eastern european culture there wasn't knights in armors? knights in armors were common also in eastern european medieval countries... here is a proof: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Battle_of_Orsha_%281514-09-08%29.jpg battle of Orsza in 1514, beatween russians and poles-lithuanians in nowadays belarus...ps. sorry for my english...

Ausir said:
Sapkowski's stories have a mix of both Eastern European and Western European influences. There are parts that are Slavic in orign, but also Germanic, Celtic, etc.
I'd rather say that he seasons the canonical fantasy setting with additions from Eastern European culture, especially drawing from Slavic mythology. The majority of the parts which you can describe as "Germanic" or "Celtic" in origin are established fantasy conventions, rather than drawn straight from the original sources.

RykNiedwiedzia said:
I'd rather say that he seasons the canonical fantasy setting with additions from Eastern European culture, especially drawing from Slavic mythology. The majority of the parts which you can describe as "Germanic" or "Celtic" in origin are established fantasy conventions, rather than drawn straight from the original sources.
Sapkowski is also an expert on Arthurian legends (he wrote one non-fiction book title "The World of king Arthur") and there is a strong arthurian/celtic undertone in the saga (the lady of the lake etc.) -so there are celtic influences drawn from the original sources - but there is a lot of slavic ones (all the stories in "Blood of the Elves" are versions of the well known slavic fairytales ;))

Top Bottom