Rant - Why is the default crouch button the same as dialogue skip button?

+
I know we can change keybindings but seriously why did anyone think this was a good idea?
I'm doing various things when in dialogue or convo, sometimes even on phone, and the default crouch button skips bleeding dialogue?
It took me accidentally hitting this thing a dozen times before changing the keybind out of sheer frustration. (why it took that long to change it, is because I didn't think i was going to KEEP making the same mistake).
Please in the future never default the skip button to button controls? The game has active cutscenes half the time so if someone wants to wander around looting during a cutscene, including crouch, they obviously don't want to skip sentences for no reason >.<

Why do you even rant when you can change the key ?
+ why would you crouch during dialogues ? Just listen the dialogue or skip it.

Ya, it's a really stupid mechanic, I agree with you. It's the same problem with the "equip weapon on the ground" key (R) as well. When you kill someone and press the reload button (R) near them, you also end up swapping your current weapon with the one on the ground because for some stupid reason, someone decided it was a great idea to have the swap key the same with the reload key.

There's a lot of oversights and things that were clearly not tested properly in this game.

You're not the only one who has struggled with this one. I had no idea why the dialog kept skipping, so it happened several times until I realized what happened.

:p

Happened to me too many a times. I tend to sneak everywhere because playstyle and then all of a sudden a dialogue hits and I find myself having dimmed lights (due to sneak) and watching the crotch area of my talking partner.
I always try to stand up to look them in the face and to brighten my field of vision a bit more to see who I'm talking with but surprise surprise, I skip the dialogue.

Yup got to remap if on the PC... Game was designed for like 5 buttons due to console controller restraints. Not to knock console players at all; they just have limited buttons that always seem to flow-over as defaults for the PC versions as well; As long as we can remap, it's all good.

Yea, it is dumb for the Devs to have mapped 2 functions to the same key........................but, I game L handed, and have changed most keyboard commands to accommodate that. Including editing the UserSettings.json file with Notepad. Piece 'o cake! Be sure and make a back up copy of your .json file FIRST, if you decide to go that route! Good luck!

Yup got to remap if on the PC... Game was designed for like 5 buttons due to console controller restraints. Not to knock console players at all; they just have limited buttons that always seem to flow-over as defaults for the PC versions as well; As long as we can remap, it's all good.
Good reasoning. One thing that has bothered me ever since I bought my PS4 after having been a PC gamer for decades is that why can't I remap buttons to keyboard (either separate or controller-attached one) on a console that supports keyboards. The button mappings are on the PC version so is it that hard to make them available on console as well.
But still to this day I haven't seen a console game that I could play with keyboard and mouse if I so wanted.

And please, don't comment: "Why don't you get a PC then".

PS4 player here. Can indeed vouch for this being a bit of a nuisance. Accidentally skipping important lines of dialogue hurts.

jUsT rEmAp bRo:cry:

This is so annoying. Do they think people are just going to stand still while listen to the dialogue? Hell no! Even if it's an empty room I still like to maneuver my character around while listening, just a habit.

Remapping on PC is a workaround. It should not have to be something we figure out ourselves.

As for controller / consoles, completely idiotic that there is no way to re-map. How do they miss this stuff in QA testing?

I play on PC but I actually prefer to play this game with controller. It's just easier in my living room setup and it's only single player, so it's fine. I still destroy this game even on very hard with controller. But this default button mapping is so stupid with no way to change it.

And please, don't comment: "Why don't you get a PC then".

:censored:

The way I get around this is sprint mid-conversation. The player exits crouch but the conversation continues.

I also hate this, but I never bothered to change controls cause I'm stoopid and don't learn from my mistakes.

This is a serious oversight design wise. Hey, let's make the button you use all the time the same button to skip important dialog!!!!!!

Top Bottom