Risen 2: Dark Waters

+
Risen 2: Dark Waters

You guys played this? Got it from Steam's summer sale with 5€ (+DLCs few €) and boy was I positively surprised. Having almost played first Risen (got lost in the bloody temples) I was expecting pretty much the same.

Maybe they had streamlined the game a bit (optional map markers \o/ ) but it made it better for me.
Combat is you basic 3rd person rpg combat that at least in the beginning is challenging enough. Ending was rather easy, but that could have been just my build and gear.

Speaking of gear it is sparse enough so that you aren't contantly switching it over which is nice. Also you use your money to buy gear buy abilities so you need to plan where to spend your money. Though in the end you propably have more than enough.

The whole pirate theme is nice change for your typical fantasy stuff. I also liked the story and the pacing of it. An you have few great companions with you from which Jaffar shines the brightest, Fuck yes!

The star of the game just like in the first game is the jungle and the lightning. In this game you actually need those torches! The game has 5 to 10 smallish islands that you're free to explore once gain access to them. My play session lasted bit under 50 hours.

But don't go expecting triple A title here. The animations and character models aren't that great. And you get your oocasional conversation hiccups if you do things in different order than the game expects you to do. And best part is that you're a pirate that apparantly can't swim :D

I'd recommend you guys to check this out if you like rpgs. It's not game that glues you to the chair but I'd give it solid 82 / 100.

I did try it but couldn't get into it.

Still miss Gothic 2 and the promise it showed. Best sword fighting ever. Sigh.

I did try it but couldn't get into it.

Still miss Gothic 2 and the promise it showed. Best sword fighting ever. Sigh.

I liked both Gothic 2 and 3.. Both were awesome in their own ways.. I couldn't be more disappointed by Gothic 4 though, i wouldn't even consider pile of crap a "Gothic" game.. Risen was a "good enough" spiritual successor for Gothic games, nothing more.. Risen 2, while better than the Risen 1, still wasn't good enough the old Gothic games...

That's my opinion anyhow, take it for what it is...

Top Bottom