SAD NEWS: No more Bioshock

+

Aver

Forum veteran
They butchered the System Shock 2 mechanincs like there was no tommorow

They weren't making SS3, so this argument is completely irrelevant. Also there was enough of exploration for me. Game already did cost way too much and making it even bigger wouldn't help at all.

Last edited:
Well, given what they did with Bioshock Infinite, I am actually not that sad. I don't like when stories in games have this freshman/sophomoric flavor, with cool and exciting concepts, but in essence simply a total incoherent mess. Good only for going with the flow, but not for any kind of rational evaluation. Multiverse and trans-world identity are very hard to present or even describe coherently, and given god-like powers of a bunch of characters, the entire story does not make any sense.

Last edited:
They weren't making SS3, so this argument is completely irrelevant. Also there was enough of exploration for me. Game already did cost way too much and making it even bigger wouldn't help at all.

I've got to agree with you on that. Most everything felt fine to me, story of Columbia itself was the only thing that had me wanting. (Also to add wasn't crazy about going back to Rapture[not in a bad way] but I can't really judge until ep. 2 is out.

Six years of development though, it did not feel like it. Then again they did cut and re-do a lot of the stuff.

Last edited:
This is a pretty harsh take on the Irrational closure, considering that GameSpot all but sold their souls to Ken Levine while Bioshock Infinite was in development.

Last edited:
This is a pretty harsh take on the Irrational closure, considering that GameSpot all but sold their souls to Ken Levine while Bioshock Infinite was in development.

Well, they are right. If Levine is just clearing a ground for a new project in the fastest way possible, it is a dick move. Given that Bioshock Infinite is just a fucking incoherent mess, it seems that he is a s.o.b. concerning relationships with people who work for him, and a rather incompetent but sensationalist game creator who hides stupidity and incompetence under cool ideas in a hope that people who got used to run after anything cool simply won't notice.

Well, they are right. If Levine is just clearing a ground for a new project in the fastest way possible, it is a dick move. Given that Bioshock Infinite is just a fucking incoherent mess, it seems that he is a s.o.b. concerning relationships with people who work for him, and a rather incompetent but sensationalist game creator who hides stupidity and incompetence under cool ideas in a hope that people who got used to run after anything cool simply won't notice.

Oh, I agree with GameSpot's assessment 100%. It's just rather ironic that they were singing his praises a relatively short time ago and even the guy in this video was drooling about what a masterpiece BI was at the time. I think the game is "meh" at best. It's not even a decent shooter. As for the so-called "grand storyline," it's a rudimentary and somewhat badly interpreted take on the standard multiverse theory. I wasn't among those whose minds were blown by the reveal at the end.

I'm not usually this critical of games, as a ton of hard work goes into even some of the worst ones. It's just that Levine apparently fancies himself some sort of creative genius and doesn't give a sh*t about the individuals who actually built his game for him.

he looks kind of like david duchovny combined with a rhesus money

My biggest gripe with Bioshock Infinite, except the monotone combat and the ridiculous multiverse story that I did not buy for one goddamn minute was that it was not the game that we were promised. The wasted potential is just mind-boggling. I mean just watch THIS !

When I've seen this back in 2010 I was onboard the hype train. I was willing to buy the whole floating city, the new drinkable plasmids, the flying birds, because it looked AMAZING. You were supposed to have this big city with massive areas full of sky-rails that you could grapple to. The combat looked SO much more interesting, with environmental plasmids and combined attacks, where Elisabeth had actual combat purpose !

But nope. Good ol' Xbox 360 and PS3 had to be the main platforms for the game and it had to be designed accordingly so that the old hardware would not burst in flames. That's why we got a game set in the skies that felt almost as claustrophobic as the original Bioshock.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be sad if the series were to end. Lest they become shells of their former selves. Instead of riding the series on by the original developer it will be done by someone like 2K Marin, who did an okay job on BS 2, but will not perform like it's predecessor or successor.
It won't be done by 2K Marin, since they shut down a few months ago.

I interpret this as downsizing and like someone said, Levine is taking the rap.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware they were shut down. But the IP will still probably be developed on further by another internal developer.

Yeah I agree with you, they say Bioshock will continue under another 2K studio, but that's bound to be a soulless cash-in on the name. I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I think the formula has been worked a bit too hard at this point.

Just heard it as well. Wonder if it will be a follow up to Infinite. Will probably be a cash in like 2. If it's in Columbia I'll probably break down and get it.

Yeah I agree with you, they say Bioshock will continue under another 2K studio, but that's bound to be a soulless cash-in on the name. I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I think the formula has been worked a bit too hard at this point.

I agree =/ maybe it is better to let the franchise die on a such a high note, but we will need to wait and see what will happend...

I agree =/ maybe it is better to let the franchise die on a such a high note, but we will need to wait and see what will happend...

If they were to let the franchise die on a high note, the franchise would end at Bioshock 1 ;)

I do agree that 1 is the best game of the trilogy, didn't like too much the gamplay on infinite and the story of 1 is better than 2, but all 3 games are great! And for they maintain the level of "excellency" in the 3 games of the franchise is better than to ruin with a fourth game that just whant to cash in... but maybe the will surprise us. Like I said, we will need to wait and see =P

Top Bottom