Series X: Constant crashing

+
I made a post in another topic as well, but I feel this deserves it's own thread again, just so CDPR get the message.

TL,DR: After about 10 hours of PL play Xbox series X version crashes during EVERY save. It's unplayable at this point. And I can not believe CDPR learned NOTHING from 3 years of experience.

Longer version: I'm a day 1 survivor. 3 years ago CP77 got a lot of heat; and while I disagreed with most of the gameplay and story related complaints (I loved the gameplay and story), it did have occasional crashes. But it didn't make it unplayable (Xbox One, at that point). Anyway, we now have videos and sob stories about how bad they felt back then... and that they would never repeat this mistake.

So 3 years later we are now at V2.0. And that update I was really excited for. And when I tried it, it was really, REALLY good. It felt a different game last week, it ran super smooth... All sail set for PL release, right?

Phantom liberty releases. I have a fantastic first 5 hours. Not really any bugs, great story, finally (after 3 fucking years) a DB2 satara iconic (still no LMG, wtf CDPR?). Smooth sailing. Then. A crash occurs. Ok, no big deal, I keep playing. Complete some gigs. Crashes happen, a little more often. Annoying, but nothing unmanageable. The game is super fun so I keep going. But. They keep happening more and more. And more and more. And at startup. And finally, literally at every save. So now I become really annoyed because I took a day off for this. I scour the web for answers and like minded people, and lo and behold: others crash constantly as well.

But what's really weird is that this time there is very little response from CDPR, nor any media outcry, or even not much acknowledgement on reddit or anything? Why is that? Weird.

In any case, CDPR, I am not mad, I am dissapointed. Very. You AGAIN put out an unstable game. I simply can not fathom that these issues did not occur during playtesting. It's an a simple series X. Do you not field test your games? Wtf? And if you come with the: "oh we had too little time" excuse AGAIN, you're all complete morons for doing this to yourself.

Conclusion: Bah, I hate the fact that you make me love this game. And I hate that my memories of this game need to forever be sullied by a negative experience.

You better put out a god damn hotfix VERY soon. You owe us. And I do not use the "owe" term lightly, as I hate when people are entitled. But if this isn't a case for consumer owing, I don't know what is.

----------------------------------------------------

I also tried the thing below, which initially worked, but now not anymore...

Ok, so I tried a little this morning. I deleted just about every save I could miss (so now I only have 1 manual save of each of my runs). I deleted all quicksaves and all autosaves.
The I started playing by these rules:
- Do not use quicksave
- Only use manual save, and only on the same file.
- every time an autosave happens, delete it immediately

Horribly incovenient, I know. But still... it pays off. I played for an hour and didn't get a single crash.
Not sure if it's a side effect, but I haven't had any game startup screen crashes either.

So there you have it. @CDPR, I found the issue for you, it's save size.

Last edited:
I made a post in another topic as well, but I feel this deserves it's own thread again, just so CDPR get the message.

TL,DR: After about 10 hours of PL play Xbox series X version crashes during EVERY save. It's unplayable at this point. And I can not believe CDPR learned NOTHING from 3 years of experience.

Longer version: I'm a day 1 survivor. 3 years ago CP77 got a lot of heat; and while I disagreed with most of the gameplay and story related complaints (I loved the gameplay and story), it did have occasional crashes. But it didn't make it unplayable (Xbox One, at that point). Anyway, we now have videos and sob stories about how bad they felt back then... and that they would never repeat this mistake.

So 3 years later we are now at V2.0. And that update I was really excited for. And when I tried it, it was really, REALLY good. It felt a different game last week, it ran super smooth... All sail set for PL release, right?

Phantom liberty releases. I have a fantastic first 5 hours. Not really any bugs, great story, finally (after 3 fucking years) a DB2 satara iconic (still no LMG, wtf CDPR?). Smooth sailing. Then. A crash occurs. Ok, no big deal, I keep playing. Complete some gigs. Crashes happen, a little more often. Annoying, but nothing unmanageable. The game is super fun so I keep going. But. They keep happening more and more. And more and more. And at startup. And finally, literally at every save. So now I become really annoyed because I took a day off for this. I scour the web for answers and like minded people, and lo and behold: others crash constantly as well.

But what's really weird is that this time there is very little response from CDPR, nor any media outcry, or even not much acknowledgement on reddit or anything? Why is that? Weird.

In any case, CDPR, I am not mad, I am dissapointed. Very. You AGAIN put out an unstable game. I simply can not fathom that these issues did not occur during playtesting. It's an a simple series X. Do you not field test your games? Wtf? And if you come with the: "oh we had too little time" excuse AGAIN, you're all complete morons for doing this to yourself.

Conclusion: Bah, I hate the fact that you make me love this game. And I hate that my memories of this game need to forever be sullied by a negative experience.

You better put out a god damn hotfix VERY soon. You owe us. And I do not use the "owe" term lightly, as I hate when people are entitled. But if this isn't a case for consumer owing, I don't know what is.
I'm having the exact same experience on PS5. The start of PL was fine with no crashes but now I've just had 3 crashes in half an hour.

This may not help, but...I was reading the reviews on Xbox last night and a lot of people mentioned that their game was crashing. The cause/solution was: if you have internal and external storage, make sure the game and it's expansion are both installed on the internal drive. Most people unknowingly had the base game on internal and the expansion on external.

I crashed on second mission in the storyline, The Pickup. I’m on a PS5. Went in there, made a deal with Maelstrom, then Militech attacked. Killed the first wave and as I progressed, suddenly my frames dropped to like 2 frames per second. Switched to performance mode. Same thing. Had to just quit the game for the night. When I played this game on the PS4 years ago, I chose to kill Maelstrom and fight Militech and Maelstrom. No lag, no crash, this 2.0 update has issues

This may not help, but...I was reading the reviews on Xbox last night and a lot of people mentioned that their game was crashing. The cause/solution was: if you have internal and external storage, make sure the game and it's expansion are both installed on the internal drive. Most people unknowingly had the base game on internal and the expansion on external.
Appreciate the help mate, it's more than I got from CDPR (they sent me a mail but I had already tried all of it, and it was from a standard post they made 2 years ago), but unfortunately, mine was installed all on internal. And nothing helps.
For those wondering, I've:
- Cleared the DVD cache (eventhough I don't have one in).
- Completely reset and unplugged the series X for a while
- reinstalled the game
- turned off cross saves
- deleted a bunch of old saves
- stayed away from the pacifica district to see if that caused it

Nothing helps.

Could it be that your save files for that particular game are corrupt? Have you tried starting a new game?

I'm facing a similar issue since yesterday evening.

I played PL since the release and everything was fine until yesterday evening.
Since then my game keeps crashing randomly:
- sometimes after a fast travel
- sometimes when too many effects are on the screen
- sometimes while I move during a notification pop-up that I leveled up a skill and the game autosaves
- sometimes even right after starting the game when I select the Xbox account that I wanna play the game with

My game and the DLC have been installed on internal.
Tried an earlier save state -> same issue
Tried a new character -> same issue
Tried a new character that will start right at PL -> same issue
I completely reinstalled the game, but that didn't help either, the game keeps crashing and I can't figure out why

Glad I didn't fall for the hype, 2.0 (and earlier still existing) problems made my mind up about not buying PL. It amazes me people have a go at CDPR for learning nothing, but it seems to me people who pre-ordered didn't either, falling for the hype, and are now for some reason surprised it's happening again.

I'm facing a similar issue since yesterday evening.

I played PL since the release and everything was fine until yesterday evening.
Since then my game keeps crashing randomly:
- sometimes after a fast travel
- sometimes when too many effects are on the screen
- sometimes while I move during a notification pop-up that I leveled up a skill and the game autosaves
- sometimes even right after starting the game when I select the Xbox account that I wanna play the game with

My game and the DLC have been installed on internal.
Tried an earlier save state -> same issue
Tried a new character -> same issue
Tried a new character that will start right at PL -> same issue
I completely reinstalled the game, but that didn't help either, the game keeps crashing and I can't figure out why
Did you check if the cross-progression is enabled or not?
I play for about 30 hours on Series X, no crash at all since about 30 hours. Just one when launching the game, before disabling cross-progression.

Now that I think about it, my game hasn't crashed...but, last night, while I was playing, I heard a loud noise that sounded like an aircraft taking off. At first, I thought it was in the game. I was thinking, wow, that's some really good Dolby digital 3d sound coming from my two TV speakers. Then I muted my TV and turns out, it was my Xbox.

Perhaps it's an overheating issue?

On that note, I may set the game to performance mode, instead of ray-tracing.

Did you check if the cross-progression is enabled or not?
I play for about 30 hours on Series X, no crash at all since about 30 hours. Just one when launching the game, before disabling cross-progression.
I just disabled cross-progression right now since the last crashes all happend while autosaving.
Gonna test it now.

/edit: Would've been too easy, damn.
Disabled cross-progression.
First autosave was done without an issue, but the second one caused the game to crash again.

Last edited:
/edit: Would've been too easy, damn.
Disabled cross-progression.
First autosave was done without an issue, but the second one caused the game to crash again.
Annoying :(
How far are you in the main story or did you reach Phantom Liberty?
Because, yeah my game didn't crash once, but I'm quite early game (30 hrs, but I didn't meet Goro at Tom's Diner yet^^). So maybe at some point, my game will crash too.

Annoying :(
How far are you in the main story or did you reach Phantom Liberty?
Because, yeah my game didn't crash once, but I'm quite early game (30 hrs, but I didn't meet Goro at Tom's Diner yet^^). So maybe at some point, my game will crash too.
I continued playing with my main char.
Did everyting the base game had to offer and I'd guess I'm half way through Phantom Liberty.
I really hope for a quick hot fix, 'cause I love that game and the changes / new content that came with 2.0 / PL.

Did everyting the base game had to offer and I'd guess I'm half way through Phantom Liberty.
I really hope for a quick hot fix, 'cause I love that game and the changes / new content that came with 2.0 / PL.
Ok, so it could be related to the progression.
If you didn't, I highly recommend to directly send a ticket to the support. You might not receive a quick answer, support must be quite busy right now.

Hey. Sad to head another person is suffering from this. The standard solutions cdpr sends do nothing, but you should still send in a ticket.

they fucking better solve this soon.

Hey. Sad to head another person is suffering from this. The standard solutions cdpr sends do nothing, but you should still send in a ticket.

they fucking better solve this soon.
Yea, I opened a ticket.
I don't expect any solution to how we can fix it from our side, pretty sure it needs to be fixed from devs side.
But the more tickets, the higher the priority ... maybe ... hopefully.

I too have had crashes. I have the base game and PL installed on SSD. I've played most of PL but decided to wrap up some random missions. After completing the Delaiman missions and walked out of the Delaiman HQ, it crashed. Restarted and it would load up and get to the main screen, ask to press B to continue and then crash. This has happened at least 4 times now since installing 2.0 update. On Series X.

I too have had crashes. I have the base game and PL installed on SSD. I've played most of PL but decided to wrap up some random missions. After completing the Delaiman missions and walked out of the Delaiman HQ, it crashed. Restarted and it would load up and get to the main screen, ask to press B to continue and then crash. This has happened at least 4 times now since installing 2.0 update. On Series X.
Oi no… seems like you hit the limit. It’s really weird as kore of these stories trickle in: it works a little while for people, and the … poof. Crashville.
It’s totally the dev’s issue to fix. The xbox is mot to blame. It also occurs on ps5 and lots of shit is going on on pc as far as i hear.
Too bad the media does not cry out this time. It reeeaaally makes you wonder…

FORCE YOUTUBERS TO MAKE VIDEOS, this crashing is wack, I just wanna play this game. I can always go back to Starfield but they don't get Cyberpunk and Nasapunk has no style. lol Neon looks like a mall and I regret getting the Neon Street Rat trait instead of getting Spaced because I'd rather be in space than on any planet in Starfield ffs. I'd rather be in DOGTOWN rn but the crashes just won't STOP.
Post automatically merged:

I find it extremely weird that there are NO VIDEOS on youtube talking about this. It's like all the dick riders just want to keep kissing ass and not make CDPR mad, but we the PEOPLE are mad.

We can't even enjoy the game. This is worse than launch. F'real f'real.

Last edited:
Top Bottom