Series X: Constant crashing

+
Yeah autosave coupked with filesize is definitely the problem (though i also had a lot of quicksave problems too). I’m gonna try later today to delete all unnecessary saves and play, amd then delete the autosave every time it makes one, and only use manual saves. See if that helps. I’ll update later.

I made a post in another topic as well, but I feel this deserves it's own thread again, just so CDPR get the message.

TL,DR: After about 10 hours of PL play Xbox series X version crashes during EVERY save. It's unplayable at this point. And I can not believe CDPR learned NOTHING from 3 years of experience.

Longer version: I'm a day 1 survivor. 3 years ago CP77 got a lot of heat; and while I disagreed with most of the gameplay and story related complaints (I loved the gameplay and story), it did have occasional crashes. But it didn't make it unplayable (Xbox One, at that point). Anyway, we now have videos and sob stories about how bad they felt back then... and that they would never repeat this mistake.

So 3 years later we are now at V2.0. And that update I was really excited for. And when I tried it, it was really, REALLY good. It felt a different game last week, it ran super smooth... All sail set for PL release, right?

Phantom liberty releases. I have a fantastic first 5 hours. Not really any bugs, great story, finally (after 3 fucking years) a DB2 satara iconic (still no LMG, wtf CDPR?). Smooth sailing. Then. A crash occurs. Ok, no big deal, I keep playing. Complete some gigs. Crashes happen, a little more often. Annoying, but nothing unmanageable. The game is super fun so I keep going. But. They keep happening more and more. And more and more. And at startup. And finally, literally at every save. So now I become really annoyed because I took a day off for this. I scour the web for answers and like minded people, and lo and behold: others crash constantly as well.

But what's really weird is that this time there is very little response from CDPR, nor any media outcry, or even not much acknowledgement on reddit or anything? Why is that? Weird.

In any case, CDPR, I am not mad, I am dissapointed. Very. You AGAIN put out an unstable game. I simply can not fathom that these issues did not occur during playtesting. It's an a simple series X. Do you not field test your games? Wtf? And if you come with the: "oh we had too little time" excuse AGAIN, you're all complete morons for doing this to yourself.

Conclusion: Bah, I hate the fact that you make me love this game. And I hate that my memories of this game need to forever be sullied by a negative experience.

You better put out a god damn hotfix VERY soon. You owe us. And I do not use the "owe" term lightly, as I hate when people are entitled. But if this isn't a case for consumer owing, I don't know what is.
Since this is talking about console, it might be somewhat off topic but the same thing happened with my Desktop PC.

Same thing at the stage with rescuing the President it was okay, then by the time I go out to Dogtown to meet Solomon I was being kicked out every time auto-save was activated, that's like every 10 seconds. This ruins the objective of entertainment which is what video games are about, of following the story and the momentum.

Key thing to note, I can reload an older save before I entered Dogtown and play around Night City, no problems, though the crash report popup happens after I exit the game.

Previously used to send the autogenerated report, but so many were sent and I suspected no response so I had to go to their Technical page (link here, its Desktop but you can go to your relevant console on this page: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc/sp-technical/issue/1700/my-game-crashes-7) and got ticket #11200.

Its already hard enough cobbling enough money in the real world these days to not only play the game but also upgrade PC components, or buying a new console because the one from 3 years ago is not enough for just 1 DLC.

Just removing the traditional component and crafting system was a big mistake in itself pre update 2.0. and made replayability of this game a non-starter for me.

The reason why I came on here is CD ProjektRed announced their photo mode challenge, acting completely oblivious to the fact customers who paid for a video game with top actors like Idris Elba and Keanu Reeves can't play it.

No standards these days. I guess its a thing when real-life US is smelling of human waste and fast going down the same path as the Cyberpunk timeline though a few decades late.

Last edited:
Yes, seem nice... Until the game crash or freeze (like it happen several time for me on Starfield) and you loose one or two hours for no reason... While with auto-save activated, you would loose less than 10 minutes...
I always turn off autosave if there's an option to. Only takes a few seconds to do a quick save... a habit I've gotten in to because of there being so many buggy games in recent years. So I agree with what others have said, that it should at least be optional, in case it causes problems.

Tested older saves with Phantom Liberty installed and they quicksave and autosave no problem. THE PROBLEM IS AUTOSAVE IN PL.

FIX OUR edit EXPERIENCE. If we could do it ourselves we would.

We're all literally telling you what the problem is, isn't this what BUG TESTING SHOULD'VE SOLVED BEFORE SELLING US edit THAT DOESN'T WORK.

Tested older saves with Phantom Liberty installed and they quicksave and autosave no problem. THE PROBLEM IS AUTOSAVE IN PL.

FIX OUR edit EXPERIENCE. If we could do it ourselves we would.

We're all literally telling you what the problem is, isn't this what BUG TESTING SHOULD'VE SOLVED BEFORE SELLING US edit THAT DOESN'T WORK.
Yeah this is like the most basic portion of gameplay.

Autosaves can't be disabled on Desktop PC either for Cyberpunk 2077

TEMPORARY FIX FOUND:

Ok, so I tried a little this morning. I deleted just about every save I could miss (so now I only have 1 manual save of each of my runs). I deleted all quicksaves and all autosaves.
The I started playing by these rules:
- Do not use quicksave
- Only use manual save, and only on the same file.
- every time an autosave happens, delete it immediately

Horribly incovenient, I know. But still... it pays off. I played for an hour and didn't get a single crash.
Not sure if it's a side effect, but I haven't had any game startup screen crashes either.

So there you have it. @CDPR, I found the issue for you, it's save size. edit

TEMPORARY FIX FOUND:

Ok, so I tried a little this morning. I deleted just about every save I could miss (so now I only have 1 manual save of each of my runs). I deleted all quicksaves and all autosaves.
- Do not use quicksave

Horribly incovenient, I know. But still... it pays off. I played for an hour and didn't get a single crash.
Not sure if it's a side effect, but I haven't had any game startup screen crashes either.

Ok this might be worth a try.

TEMPORARY FIX FOUND:

- Do not use quicksave

Already tried that yesterday night.
Deleted all save files I don't need.
Deleted all auto saves.

Problem is, my game crashes right when the auto save icon appears.
My game freezes and I'm back at the Xbox dashboard.
When I restart, the auto save that caused the crash doesn't even exist, 'cause the game crashed while it would create the auto save.
I'm than back at the point from where I started selling something, fast travelling or doing something that triggers an auto save and the whole process repeats.

TEMPORARY FIX FOUND:

- Do not use quicksave

Yo, I deleted every single save file except for one. Haven't had a start up crash yet.

....but how the hell am I supposed to delete an autosave when that's the exact point it crashes. I can't get into the menu to delete anything. The little blue icon appears, it just means death to me.

So this temporary fix didn't work except now I only have this one save file that isn't really doing me any good.
Post automatically merged:

Oh well, I just asked in case... Keep complaining, I return playing the game on my Series X, auto-save activated without any issues.
Cheers ;)

Typical, you'd let a man freeze to death in the cold dead of winter.

The only reason I'm in this forum and not playing is because I CAN'T PLAY and I'm trying to get the DEVS attention or the edit gaming media to edit pay attention to us cause this utter silence on these issues is mind boggling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo, I deleted every single save file except for one. Haven't had a start up crash yet.

....but how the hell am I supposed to delete an autosave when that's the exact point it crashes. I can't get into the menu to delete anything. The little blue icon appears, it just means death to me.

So this temporary fix didn't work except now I only have this one save file that isn't really doing me any good.

Typical, you'd let a man freeze to death in the cold dead of winter.

The only reason I'm in this forum and not playing is because I CAN'T PLAY and I'm trying to get the DEVS attention or the edit gaming media to edit pay attention to us cause this utter silence on these issues is mind boggling.
You can try this. First if you are Desktop PC and on Steam, disable Cloud saves

Second go to Settings > Gameplay, and Disable Cross Platform Saves. If memory is causing this problem, this has to be it.

Attachments

• Enable Cross Platform Saves.png
    Enable Cross Platform Saves.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
I did all that, but my tutorials are off. Think that could fix things for me? lol

I'm on Series S... the low budget next gen that's already last gen thanks to CDPR.

TEMPORARY FIX FOUND:
- Do not use quicksave

Certainly Autosaves pile up on their own. After Manual Save must make a habit to go to Load game to remove AutoSaves indicated on the file itself.

Already 5 had piled up during the course of the half hour I was playing. No incident so far.

So far so good.

Ok guys, jus want to inform you that I tried playing again, and it's more of the same. Even with my temporary fix, autosaving immediately crashes my game again.

Sorry to give you hope...

I'll just keep refreshing this from time to time until someone finds a fix because CDPR just wants to leave us all hanging.

CDPR has probably brought themselves in a bind. They bought all the media this time around, and made them give them good reviews on an unstable game, so now they can't come out with messages about fast fixes because that would damage the narrative of their redemption story.

So yeah, they'll probably leave us hanging for a while.

They should keep it real, their redemption is at risk right now. Obviously, we all love the game otherwise we all wouldn't be trying to fix the crashes ourselves. I could go back to Starfield, but I just wanna be in Dogtown.

If you haven't done so already, please send tickets directly to support team. That's the most efficient way of informing them about the issues in game. This forum is more for player to player help. And if you do send a ticket, please remember that they are probably super busy right after PL release, so answers might take a while.

For crash issues on xbox, here is one link with the "Contact us" button: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/xbox/sp-technical/issue/1763/my-game-crashes-8

If you haven't done so already, please send tickets directly to support team. That's the most efficient way of informing them about the issues in game. This forum is more for player to player help. And if you do send a ticket, please remember that they are probably super busy right after PL release, so answers might take a while.

For crash issues on xbox, here is one link with the "Contact us" button: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/xbox/sp-technical/issue/1763/my-game-crashes-8
Thank you kindly for your concern. I had indeed already submitted a ticket for this. I only received the standard first-aid response, which did not help. That's why I created this topic.

Sent already - Ticket Number #11200.

It seems to be an autosave problem. Too many and it seems to flatline. So far no issues since i took up QuinkStriker's suggestion. Let's see if the problem returns.

Frankly this sort of issue shouldn't be something for us to figure out. Hardware components for Desktop PC come from a few large companies, there shouldn't be some wild device out there that the development team didn't anticipate. Certainly not for consoles.

At this stage a mere DLC that requires the main game to work should not have these basic problems.

Like QuinkStriker said we wouldn't be here if sending a ticket didn't mean a waiting time that may take weeks.

Update: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/patch-2-01-coming-soon-known-issues.11120728/

Last edited:
Top Bottom