Sorry Witcher, I'm going with Hellgate London =\

+
Sorry Witcher, I'm going with Hellgate London =\

Note to CDp PR reps, push harder for a demo next time. I was dead set on buying The Witcher until I played the demo for Hellgate(which I wasn't even considering buying) but without a demo for The Witcher to compair it to Hellgate is getting my $$, maybe down the road I'll pick up the Witcher, just not right now.

Ivor said:
Note to CDp PR reps, push harder for a demo next time. I was dead set on buying The Witcher until I played the demo for Hellgate(which I wasn't even considering buying) but without a demo for The Witcher to compair it to Hellgate is getting my $$, maybe down the road I'll pick up the Witcher, just not right now.
Ok Thanks for telling us that! Though I suspect you really were going to get Hellgate no matter what.K

If you read between the lines of IVOR's post, he tell's something very important - we really need the demo (at least I REALLY need the demo). I would have bought Witcher long time ago if only my old and rusty laptop (around minimum req's) can handle The Witcher. Probably I'm bit daring to say that, but I'm considering downloading pirated version just to check if the game works well and then buying the game. Lets hope i don't get banned for saying that :p

Bilas said:
Bilas said:
Ok Thanks for telling us that! Though I suspect you really were going to get Hellgate no matter what.K
Absolutely not, from the videos, screenshots and various website interviews HGL didn't look like the game for my tastes at all. Until I tried the demo that is and I was sold on it, now if only CDp had found time to even include a small demo of a quest or something along though lines it might have helped persuade me.

varelse said:
If you read between the lines of IVOR's post, he tell's something very important - we really need the demo (at least I REALLY need the demo). I would have bought Witcher long time ago if only my old and rusty laptop (around minimum req's) can handle The Witcher. Probably I'm bit daring to say that, but I'm considering downloading pirated version just to check if the game works well and then buying the game. Lets hope i don't get banned for saying that :p
Exactly my point of the original post, it wasn't so much to the community but to the developers/decision makers of The Witcher, I know I'm not the only one that won't plunk down the cash for The Witcher sight unseen.

i think thats a real shame because you will missing out on a game which for the first time in pc game years will have you agonising over decisions you've made and choices you've taken over a game where you (going by the demo) you run round hitting stuff without any real purpose beyond the *find my >insert object here

Hellgate London very much disappointed me when I tried the demo.It is so linear - all you do is run around hack and slash done.... boring environments as well.

Ohh come on ... This thread is not about Hellgate but about The Witcher demo (or lack of it). Don't you think it would be nice to have a look before spending $$$ on a game?

Yes, game Demo is a very effective promotional tool.It's a shame that The Witcher did not have a Demo, I am sorry as a Witcher game owner that the OP'er feels this way, and I understand.However, Hellgate London is really, quite far off from being a good game, there is no realism or details within the world of HGL, the weapons have unlimited ammo (more like an energy) and there is no knock back from your gun, the game it's a walk on the park killing happy time.The monsters AI is very behind, remind me of the coding from games of the late 80's, but to see it used today, I do not find it acceptable.There are of course, many bad things I can crit on HGL, but that's not the point, overall, The Witcher has heart and soul, and strong vision and direction, matured and constructive. It stands as story and quest wise, one of the best RPG for the last few years.HGL on the other hand, is everything but that, and in fact, quite far from that.If £30 means totally nothing to you, than buy HGL and play for a few hours of it, and congrats if you think that is what you like.For those who wish to experience HGL demo, please go here and have your own view:http://www.gamershell.com/download_21548.shtml

I played hellgate beta for 4 days right before release. I have never had a game crash this many times with no way to get out except to turn off the computer. The witcher did not crash once with me. As for gameplay, there is absolutely no immersion, no story, all levels look the same and all gameplay and monsters feel the same. It felt like world of warcraft but without the immersion, the beautiful open world or the need for grouping. The only good thing about hellgate was the promo and trailer videos.

Hellgate: London? Are you serious?!?I played the demo for a couple of hours and was completely underwhelmed. To call that an RPG does a disservice to all the other fine RPGs out there. It's not even in the same league. It's like Diablo II meets World of Warcraft but more boring.

I myself, was looking forward to HGL, i saw all the screenies, watched the cool videos, .. then i played the demo... i was very dissappointed, seemed very linear to me, and was a total let-down.I stuck my neck out and bought The Witcher.... every penny well-spent, simply an awesome game... The Witcher doesn`t need a demo, it doesnt need a demo for people to decide, its a class piece of game.Plater

So tell me how should i know if The Witcher is going to work on my laptop?!CPU - Core Duo 1.83 Mem - 1 GBGraphics - GeForce Go 7300 Any toughts?

In my opinion NO demo could do the complexity of the quests in TW justice. how would you explain a repercussion taking place hours later in the gamewithout spoiling it for the full retail game ? If only the first few parts of the KarMoehren Tutorial would have been included I would say: it's not enough.no alchemy, no coatings, no meditiations.......I'm actually glad that they concentrated on patching the game (providing a Day0 patch) and extending it over time and not on some demo.maybe there will be one in the future.

This thread is completely useles. Why?1. The Witcher and Hellgate London, although they bare the same RPG genre mark are DIFFERENT games.2. Just like someone said, you canot concentrate the rich experience the game offers in a simple demo. Actually a demo has lots of chances to do unjustice to the game. It's not that simple as, let's say a game like Unreal Tournament 3, where you take 2, 3 or 15 maps (if you want) with selected weapons and vehicles and simply make them available by some easy codes.And there is no point to get offended by my first statement. We live and learn. And if the thread starter had used google for a few minutes, it would have learn by himself all that I had written here. And therefore it would not had given the moderators a headache about what to do: be polite and let him continue to write about things he don't know very well or simply close a discussion that leads nowhere, since the start is already completely wrong.And btw, chosing Hellgate over The Witcher, if you want a true unique/original RPG experience, is wrong. Time will tell, I'm sure of it.

varelse said:
So tell me how should i know if The Witcher is going to work on my laptop?!CPU - Core Duo 1.83 Mem - 1 GBGraphics - GeForce Go 7300 Any toughts?
Should work just fine - not at max settings, mind you, but it will sure be playable.On topic: I played the HG:L demo and while it was fun it wasn't exactly a very deep compelling experience just point and hack/shoot, the quests were boring and MMO'ish, and the story never took off at all (fair enough it's a demo, but The Witcher's Prologue does a much better job at getting you involved). The Witcher grabbed me from the get-go and hasn't let go yet. My only complaint is the frequent and long-ish loading screens. I bought the Witcher based on many glowing user reviews on gaming sites and I sure haven't regretted it. That said I might get HGL as well if it gets decent reviews.If CDP were to release a demo of the Witcher they could just use the prologue (or Tutorial) chapter - it would be damn near perfect.

Toke said:
If CDP were to release a demo of the Witcher they could just use the prologue (or Tutorial) chapter - it would be damn near perfect.
No it wouldn't. Prologue is so much less than full experience of the game. You can't show the game in a short demo, not THIS game. It's too epic.

Ivor said:
Enjoy the monthly "Subscription fees" or the huge "Lifetime Fee"......Oh, and the nice questionable HG:L EULA, too!

Top Bottom