The game keeps on crashing after 15 min of game (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION)

+
This is the stacktrace:

Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x315CE550A50.
File: <Unknown>(0)

The "0x315CE550A50" changes at every crash.
I have Win10, rtx 4080, I5-13600k, 32gb of ddr4 RAM. I don't use any mod, only HD reworked texture.
What I tried so far: 1) increasing pafefile size 2) deleting r6 folder and verifying the game files 3) deleting the file CChromaEditorLibrary64 .
After these 3 fixes, the game lasted for more than 15 minutes...but still crashed after like 40-50 min.
Tonight I deleted the whole game and downloaded it again, I'll see how it does now...
1 year ago more or less, I had a less powerul pc and I finished the game without ever encountering such frequent crashes.
I also have latest nvidia drivers.
What I CAN'T do right now: use DDU because it requires going to safe mode and my pc for some reason can't go in safe mode.
I hope my savegame files are not corrupted....I wrote to cdpr support but no answer so far....what do you suggest guys ?
I started my run from zero with the last update (NC metro) already installed, and the game went smooth for like 80-90 hours... and now these crashes...
I was hoping for a nice weekend full of cyberpunk, but I think it won't be possible :/

Any Overclock? Overlays? Antivirus? Its a fairly common crash and points to memory but can really be almost anything. This game has a habit of really showing any unstability in your pc or any fault in system, its better then most benchmarks in causing crashes :D

Any Overclock? Overlays? Antivirus? Its a fairly common crash and points to memory but can really be almost anything. This game has a habit of really showing any unstability in your pc or any fault in system, its better then most benchmarks in causing crashes :D
the fact is, I've played this run for like 70-80 hours and nothing like this ever happened. Yesterday, these sudden and frequent crashes and I haven't changed anything. I have native WIN antivirus, no overclock, overlays? Only gog.

However, I tried 4 more possible fixes today and I've just finished an almost 1 hour game session with no crash... I have to play the game longer to see if it is definitely solved. The new things I tried are:
1) uninstall the game, re-install the game
2) use borderless screen instead of full screen
3) wiped DX12 cache of the driver where my game is installed
4) set "No pagefile allowed" for my ssd driver where the game is installed

Hello. Try INCREASE page file instead of disabling it.. i've been having lots of out of memory and access violation errors. Then i looked at HWINFO64 logs and noticed that virtual memory usage is at 99.9% The game is not using all of my available real RAM and uses page file as well.
And using a lot of it.. i currently have 27 gb of page file and 32gb of RAM. No crashes ever since i set it this way. The maximum load recorded - 87.6%

Hello. Try INCREASE page file instead of disabling it.. i've been having lots of out of memory and access violation errors. Then i looked at HWINFO64 logs and noticed that virtual memory usage is at 99.9% The game is not using all of my available real RAM and uses page file as well.
And using a lot of it.. i currently have 27 gb of page file and 32gb of RAM. No crashes ever since i set it this way. The maximum load recorded - 87.6%
I've read that enabling big size pagefile on SSD can literally kill the SSD and it's not advisable. Right now I have pagefile allowed only on my HD drive and it is turned off on the SSD where the game is.... later I'll try to play for more than 1 hour and see if it crashes again.... if it does, I'll try again with pagefile.
Yesterday I was playing with 16 gb of pagefile and it crashed in 40-50 min

I've read that enabling big size pagefile on SSD can literally kill the SSD and it's not advisable. Right now I have pagefile allowed only on my HD drive and it is turned off on the SSD where the game is.... later I'll try to play for more than 1 hour and see if it crashes again.... if it does, I'll try again with pagefile.
Yesterday I was playing with 16 gb of pagefile and it crashed in 40-50 min
What you heard is plain out wrong. You will die of old age before your SSD dies from rewrites. Having page file on HDD is definitely bad idea if you care about performance. My PC doesnt have any HDD at all - i run two m2 NVME drives, the older one got about 98% estimated health :eek:

Ok I've played for 2 hours I think and no crash... I think that re-installing the game and/or disabling pagefile solved the problem...for now at least

Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x315CE550A50.
File: <Unknown>(0)
I wrote to cdpr support but no answer so far....what do you suggest guys ?
Experience this too.

Made it a habit to pause the game for about 3 seconds after a game event change. Right before and/or after a job/side job, gig, interaction, and moments after starting to drive and getting out and start walking.

Still monitoring it, but I'm by now 94% convinced that by doing this, the game persists for a hell of a lot longer. Especially the transition from walking to driving to walking, if you pause the game once right after the transition, you can keep doing that what you're doing for as long you want without the game crashing.

Worth a try, I would say.

Try this mod. See if the crashes cease completely.

I will never use a mod that removes crowd\traffic lol those are so necessary for a sense of immersion in NC! Thank you for your suggestion anyway. Regarding the pausing the game thing.... I mean, I really hope that it is not necessary, that would be immersion breaking too. However my last game session lasted almost 2 hours...today I'll play the game again and see if it has stopped crashing

I will never use a mod that removes crowd\traffic lol those are so necessary for a sense of immersion in NC! Thank you for your suggestion anyway. Regarding the pausing the game thing.... I mean, I really hope that it is not necessary, that would be immersion breaking too. However my last game session lasted almost 2 hours...today I'll play the game again and see if it has stopped crashing
Understand and agree completely. The reason I posted those, was for them to pose a reproduction to be tested. If several people could confirm that by pausing the game related to the game events, or (temporary) getting rid of crowds and traffic, that their game runs flawlessly for hours on end, the issue can be narrowed down to those workings.

I've traced this particular issue down all the way to 2013, ranging from SQL servers, script errors, Java apps, to games, played on mid to high-end computer systems. It can stand for a plethora of issues that demand an equal plethora amount of different separate undependable fixes, that in turn can only work for some people, not everyone.

Now this out of that thread you necroed:

"Open the NVIDIA control panel (usually located next to the clock in your system tray, bottom right)
Click on "Help" in the top row and click "Debug mode"
What this does, it downclocks your card to the founders edition specs."

actually makes a lot of sense. Gonna give it a try once the crashes increase again.

Experience this too.

Made it a habit to pause the game for about 3 seconds after a game event change. Right before and/or after a job/side job, gig, interaction, and moments after starting to drive and getting out and start walking.

Still monitoring it, but I'm by now 94% convinced that by doing this, the game persists for a hell of a lot longer. Especially the transition from walking to driving to walking, if you pause the game once right after the transition, you can keep doing that what you're doing for as long you want without the game crashing.

Worth a try, I would say.

Try this mod. See if the crashes cease completely.

Understand and agree completely. The reason I posted those, was for them to pose a reproduction to be tested. If several people could confirm that by pausing the game related to the game events, or (temporary) getting rid of crowds and traffic, that their game runs flawlessly for hours on end, the issue can be narrowed down to those workings.

I've traced this particular issue down all the way to 2013, ranging from SQL servers, script errors, Java apps, to games, played on mid to high-end computer systems. It can stand for a plethora of issues that demand an equal plethora amount of different separate undependable fixes, that in turn can only work for some people, not everyone.

Now this out of that thread you necroed:

"Open the NVIDIA control panel (usually located next to the clock in your system tray, bottom right)
Click on "Help" in the top row and click "Debug mode"
What this does, it downclocks your card to the founders edition specs."

actually makes a lot of sense. Gonna give it a try once the crashes increase again.
the game crashed again.... I'll try this debug mode

the game just crashed with debug mode turned on.... cdpr assistance has replied to my request but no real fix from them so far

That's unfortunate. Would suggest to cleanly reinstall the game again, and then retry debug mode.
I'm already playing a clean-installed game. I uninstalled it 3 days ago and re-installed it... I'll try a new mix (feels like I have to find the perfect alchemic recipe). This time I'll try: clearing DX cache + re-enabling pagefile on the drive where the game is + using debug mode.... let's see if it crashed again.
However I've noticed that most of the times (maybe even all the times) the game crashes after I've been driving around NC for a certain amount of time (3-5 min or more). Is it crashing when driving to you too guys ?

I think NVIDIA released new update today; I removed previous nvidia files with DDU (without using safe mode) and installed the new nvidia drivers. I've played for 2 hours more or less and it didn't crash

Hey man. How're holding up? Your game plays? If it still doesn't, I found something CDPR Support advised a couple of years ago. I tried it, and so far so good. Though, I didn't reinstall my GPU drivers.

"I send email to Cyberpunk 2077, They give me the soluation

Please try to reinstall your GPU drivers. To do so completely follow these steps:

Download the newest drivers for your GPU using the following link https://www.nvidia.pl/Download/index.aspx?lang=en, but don't install them yet.
Download Display Driver Uninstaller from this link -> https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and run it to remove previous versions of drivers.
Clean install drivers that you've downloaded in step 1.

Next, please, follow the instruction below.

1. Delete:
REDEngine folder from here %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
CD Projekt Red folder from here: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
2. Make sure that DirectX12 shader cache is not corrupted. To do so right-click on the hard drive where the game is installed. In the General Tab click Disk Cleanup and mark the DirectX shadercache tickbox. Unmark any other tickboxes and start the clean-up.
3. Restart your PC and launch the game. See if it helped.

Is worked !!!
:steamhappy:
:steamhappy:
"

Top Bottom