The movie based on Sapkowski's works

+
Dragonsensei said:
The TV show wasn't outstanding but I personally watched it only from curiosity and it was alright. Not very good but not so bad either. At least it gives you some extra knowledge about witchers and the world that Sapkowski created. ;D
I second that! Watched the first episod, and beggining of second and it's rather good. Ok, it's not something like The Lord of the Rings, but it's watchable, some good actors, (the guy who plays the Witcher is very good imho) and it gives you a LOT of insight into the universe of the Witcher, which we are all curious about. In the very first episode we learn about how child Geralt was taken from his parents and made a Witcher and it's very interesting. Also we learn the story (and a very nice one, might I add) about why he is called "White wolf" a thing we are all curious about. (I know, I was.) I think the mini-series should have imported in english speaking countries, especially since the books aren't translated yet! I know the books are way better, and seems to me polish people hating this mini-serie as well, but still, after playing the game it's a nice experience to see those episodes.

Guys, you can watch it, but don't consider it an insight into Sapkowski's world. There is no additional information, believe me. I can't say I didn't like it: the atmosphere, the music and the actors were good enough for me. For example, Michael Jebrowski, who played Geralt, still is the witcher's face in my imagination. Frankly speaking, Sapkowski's Saga is not a material for Hollywood. I think, Jerzy Hoffman would be the best choice.But the current TV-version has too many differences from the real circumstances of the books. I can make a small list:- Witchers don't use katanas.- There was no priest class in Kaer Morhen to raise new witcher's.- Geralt didn't invent a new way of fighting based on avoiding your opponent.- Noone tried to kill him during his years in Kaer Morhen, there also was no competition or envy between the witchers.- Falwik had no connection with the witchers. - Geralt never met Renfri before Blaviken.- Renfri never attacked the temple of Melitele.The chronologic order isn't kept in some places too. So don't take an enourmous imagination for a guidance into the witcher's world. It's herecy ;)

Vampyro said:
I second that! Watched the first episod, and beggining of second and it's rather good. Ok, it's not something like The Lord of the Rings, but it's watchable, some good actors, (the guy who plays the Witcher is very good imho) and it gives you a LOT of insight into the universe of the Witcher, which we are all curious about. In the very first episode we learn about how child Geralt was taken from his parents and made a Witcher and it's very interesting. Also we learn the story (and a very nice one, might I add) about why he is called "White wolf" a thing we are all curious about. (I know, I was.) I think the mini-series should have imported in english speaking countries, especially since the books aren't translated yet! I know the books are way better, and seems to me polish people hating this mini-serie as well, but still, after playing the game it's a nice experience to see those episodes.
It doesn't give you any insight. In the books, Geralt wasn't taken from his parents, he was given away to the witchers by his sorceress mother. Nothing that takes place in Geralt's childhood or youth in the series is consistent with or based on the books. There is no actual witcher code. The witchers are not required to fight in a "honorable" way. Vesemir wasn't a priest. Geralt wasn't an outcast. There were no female witchers. Witchers weren't asexual. I could go on and on.

Ausir said:
Ausir said:
It doesn't give you any insight. In the books, Geralt wasn't taken from his parents, he was given away to the witchers by his sorceress mother. Nothing that takes place in Geralt's childhood or youth in the series is consistent with or based on the books. There is no actual witcher code. The witchers are not required to fight in a "honorable" way. Vesemir wasn't a priest. Geralt wasn't an outcast. There were no female witchers. Witchers weren't asexual. I could go on and on.
Ah pity. :( I am kind of liking the mood of the series. Pity they have changed those thing then. I'll try to get the books translated in french then, cause I speak and read french fluently. Is the french translation good? And did they translated every book in french? Btw I wish they did a remake with the actual story of Sapkowski without changing the main actors...

The tv series was not that bad i have seen worse, you can download it you just have to search for: Wiedzmin aka The Witcher - 13 Episodes (Pl-Eng Sub)sure the dialog is poor but anything in another language gets lost in translation, making broken english.The book in English is due in may of 2008 so we really wont know how well it will catch on.The movie in polish is call hexer no subs there are subs but it's exactly the same as tv series but with all the character development cut.If they do make a movie in north america they should have a big name star in it.

Vampyro said:
Ah pity. :( I am kind of liking the mood of the series. Pity they have changed those thing then. I'll try to get the books translated in french then, cause I speak and read french fluently. Is the french translation good? And did they translated every book in french? Btw I wish they did a remake with the actual story of Sapkowski without changing the main actors...
Only the first two books (Le Dernier Vœu, L'Épée du Destin) have been published in French so far, the third (Le Sang des Elfes) will be published in June this year.
Vampyro said:
The tv series was not that bad i have seen worse, you can download it you just have to search for: Wiedzmin aka The Witcher - 13 Episodes (Pl-Eng Sub)sure the dialog is poor but anything in another language gets lost in translation, making broken english.
It's not only the translation, the dialogues are bad in the original as well, at least compared to the book.
The book in English is due in may of 2008 so we really wont know how well it will catch on.
The first book, The Last Wish, is already available in English in the UK.
The movie in polish is call hexer no subs there are subs but it's exactly the same as tv series but with all the character development cut.
Yes, the movie is basically the 13-hour TV series cut down into a 2-hour movie.

Ausir said:
The first book, The Last Wish, is already available in English in the UK.
Yes, I ordered it a few days ago through http://www.abebooks.com/ after it was suggested on another thread, and it was under $20 used with shipping to the US, so not too much more than it would be from Amazon, and without the months of waiting. Not a bad deal.Edit: In fact, it just arrived a minute ago. Less than a week between ordering and in my hand, from Powys, UK to Oregon, US. Sweet ;D

First of all, a big hello to everyone here, as this is my first post on these boards (although I've been stalking the place for a while now :p ).Secondly, I just wanted to add my two cents, in hopes someone finds the extra opinion useful.After having completed the game for the first time, I was so hooked and immersed into the world of The Witcher that I just didn't know what to do to fill that gap. I'll start playing through the game a second time but I also wanted more. So I stumbled upon information about the movie and then the series and I was persevering and lucky enough to find both, with English subtitles, on the same day and they were done downloading the very next day :DYou cannot imagine how happy I was to find them and for them to be accessible to me, despite heavy criticism, especially from fans of the book. However, since I haven't read them yet, I just wanted to have a piece of the world and be able to prolong it a little while longer :p I'm pretty sure that everyone will understand what I'm saying here :pSo I watched the movie first, keeping in mind everything the critics had said and paid special attention. Knowing that the movie is based on the two short-stories books, it didn't bother me that the movie looks so truncated and I have to say that I enjoyed the actors and the music and wasn't all that confused by what was going on.Then I started watching the series and it got even better! Some things were explained, we got to see some more story and character development and I also noticed an improvement in image quality, acting and special effects. It all looks much better. I'm a little disappointed to see how many things they changed, going from book to movie, since I was actually thinking that this will improve my knowledge of The Witcher, but I'm still not that worried, since I've just ordered The Last Wish (I can't wait for it to get here :D :D ) and plan on acquiring all the books as they get translated and published.In the end, the series turned out to be good enough that my boyfriend, who hasn't played the game, hasn't read the books and is not very tolerant when it comes to something he doesn't like now keeps asking me "So, shall we play another episode? :D ". So go figure. I, for one, watch them as slowly as I can, because once they're done, I won't have anything else left :p That being said, I think that all fans of the game and the The Witcher universe in general should at least give the series and the movie (to a lesser extent) a chance.If anyone needs help with finding them, I downloaded them at a pretty good quality (DVD rip apparently) and with English subtitles and I can direct you to the right place :)

The movie is not worth watching, since it's just the TV series cut down to 2 hours. There's nothing in the movie that's not in the series.

Ausir said:
The movie is not worth watching, since it's just the TV series cut down to 2 hours. There's nothing in the movie that's not in the series.
That is true. However, I watched it because I wanted to see it with my own eyes and for a sense of completion :)

That being said, I think that all fans of the game and the The Witcher universe in general should at least give the series and the movie (to a lesser extent) a chance.If anyone needs help with finding them, I downloaded them at a pretty good quality (DVD rip apparently) and with English subtitles and I can direct you to the right place
There was a DVD release of the movie, but the series has never been released on DVD.

I saw some clips of the movie on youtube. Such a shame it was badly filmed. But still im very fond of the story

Can someone tell me how i can get hold of the songs from the soundtrack?I would maybe purchase it but i cant find it anywhere on the net. So downloading it is my only option and for something as rare as this soundtrack i doubt its illegal to download it.

Top Bottom